When to take Step 2 for internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilPhysician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I'm beating a dead horse with this topic, but I have a specific question.

Im an AMG, Step 1 mid 230s, decent app for a mid tier program. But I want a shot at more quality programs. I'm thinking of NYU, Southwestern, Northwestern, Baylor, Mayo.

Also, with the ERAS deadline approaching, I want to work more on my personal statement and other application materials as well.

My specific questions are:

1) Will getting a 245-250s on Step 2 get me more interviews or interviews at higher quality programs?
2) Should I take it in a few weeks or hold off/study more and take it late September/early October to get a better score?
3) If I get my step 2 score back by late October (before November 1st) and submit it, can I use it to get more interviews at quality programs or to boost my chances?

any serious feedback would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance:):D

Members don't see this ad.

was just about to ask this exact question!! Any help would greatly be appreciated. Currently my test is scheduled for the end of August but apps and me starting a subi in september are making studying tough...

I know that I'm beating a dead horse with this topic, but I have a specific question.

Im an AMG, Step 1 mid 230s, decent app for a mid tier program. But I want a shot at more quality programs. I'm thinking of NYU, Southwestern, Northwestern, Baylor, Mayo.
It pisses me off when people play this game. Either tell us your score or don't. There's no significant difference between a 233 and a 238 (the brackets I'd put around "mid-230s"). Stop being coy.

My specific questions are:

1) Will getting a 245-250s on Step 2 get me more interviews or interviews at higher quality programs?
No.

2) Should I take it in a few weeks or hold off/study more and take it late September/early October to get a better score?
Whatever. The chances that 2 weeks of studying (while doing other stuff) will change your score dramatically are nil. You may nail a "mid-240s" but nobody cares. You're not going to chance your score from a 210 to 270 so just take it whenever.

3) If I get my step 2 score back by late October (before November 1st) and submit it, can I use it to get more interviews at quality programs or to boost my chances?

Maybe. But unlikely. A Step 2 score that is as good or better than Step 1 will be helpful when it comes time to rank (because it shows progression of knowledge), but will have negligible impact on your ability to get interviews, especially at that time. If you had a 205 on Step 1, the answer would be slightly different, but for your score, the answer is more or less "no".

Members don't see this ad :)
It pisses me off when people play this game. Either tell us your score or don't. There's no significant difference between a 233 and a 238 (the brackets I'd put around "mid-230s"). Stop being coy.

Score: 234

No.

Whatever. The chances that 2 weeks of studying (while doing other stuff) will change your score dramatically are nil. You may nail a "mid-240s" but nobody cares. You're not going to chance your score from a 210 to 270 so just take it whenever.

Maybe. But unlikely. A Step 2 score that is as good or better than Step 1 will be helpful when it comes time to rank (because it shows progression of knowledge), but will have negligible impact on your ability to get interviews, especially at that time. If you had a 205 on Step 1, the answer would be slightly different, but for your score, the answer is more or less "no".

"especially at that time" implies that there would be another time that getting my step 2 score in would help with getting interviews. If that is the case, what time would that be? Thank you.

"especially at that time" implies that there would be another time that getting my step 2 score in would help with getting interviews. If that is the case, what time would that be? Thank you.

If you have your scores on the day your app is downloaded then perhaps it would help.

But seriously, stop trying to make this more complicated that it needs to be.

Take it as soon as possible so you don't have to worry about it anymore lol.

New
Bump.

Related questions: how much does step 2 matter in the RANKING process? My step 1 was mid 230s which got me a decent number of interviews including the one I really wanted (Emory). My step 2 score came back the exact same score. However it is at a lower percentile since most people get a slightly higher step 2 than step 1. Can anyone shed any light on this?

check if any of your programs need step 2 in before making their rank list. i would submit. my school says that step 1 (+/-) 15 pts from step 2 is roughly similar regardless of percentile.

If you don't get a 260 on step 2 you are clearly a bad person and suck at life. don't report a 230. you won't even get ranked.

If you don't get a 260 on step 2 you are clearly a bad person and suck at life. don't report a 230. you won't even get ranked.
lol. there are healthier ways to let out your frustrations than trolling an internet forum, good sir.

lol. there are healthier ways to let out your frustrations than trolling an internet forum, good sir.

I'm not frustrated, my life is pretty awesome. Good sir. Heh.

And it wasn't a troll. I hope do hope you feel appropriately stupid now.

I'm not frustrated, my life is pretty awesome. Good sir. Heh.

And it wasn't a troll. I hope do hope you feel appropriately stupid now.
I actually feel pretty darn good that I'm not a person like you. Sound like you are either an actual dingus who likes to upset people routinely or your just doing it on the internet for attention,which by definition makes you a troll. I hope it's the latter. I asked politely a specific question and was hoping someone with more knowledge can comment on it. If you have nothing constructive to say, leave.

I actually feel pretty darn good that I'm not a person like you. Sound like you are either an actual dingus who likes to upset people routinely or your just doing it on the internet for attention,which by definition makes you a troll. I hope it's the latter. I asked politely a specific question and was hoping someone with more knowledge can comment on it. If you have nothing constructive to say, leave.

You asked a stupid question and I gave a stupid answer. I don't do this for attention. I'm here for you hoss. Read between the lines and unclench your ass.

You asked a stupid question and I gave a stupid answer. I don't do this for attention. I'm here for you hoss. Read between the lines and unclench your ass.
I read through the thread and did not see anything on how much step 2 mattered in the final ranking process and naturally I asked, specifically for my top program. If you cared to explain why that was stupid I'll start relaxing my sphincter lol. Ill take HOSS as a compliment.

A higher Step 2 will not necessarily give you more interviews. But during the interviews you do get, the IM program directors seem to like if you can do really well (makes sense since Step 2 is more clinically oriented and relevant to IM and FM. AS a matter of fact, the NBME program director survey results do indicate that Step 2 has a (marginally) higher relevance than Step 1 does. Of course, this does not mean Step 2 more improtant than Step 1... the devil are in the details in that survey

In my experience, I crushed step 1 and then further blew Step 2 out of the water. THis was all before sending in applications. I did not get any more interviews in places out of my reach (because I am not a very academic driven individual), but the places I did go to all marveled at the Step 2 and said that I had great clinical knowledge and that they would want me to stick around to hone my clinical skill with them.
But this is jsut limited to the places I interviewed at, (NYC Metro area) so take with a grain of salt elsewhere ( I know the real program directors on here may take enact great vengeance and furious anger on my comment)