When to take Step 2 for Ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out when to take Step II. I've heard mixed reactions. The most common thing I've heard, is that if you do well on Step 1, postpone Step 2 until sometime after your applications/interviews are done, and if you did bad on Step 1 then you should try to take it earlier. But, I also have some people that have told me that programs are looking at Step 2 a little more, and they advised me to take it earlier. I don't really want to do that, though. I feel like I really lucked out on Step 1 (254) and only see my score going down from there for Step 2.

Any advice from people that have been through the whole Match process would be appreciated. If you were in my shoes, would you take Step 1 early or postpone? I'm leaning towards postponing, mainly because I shudder at the thought of having to study as hard for Step 2 as I did for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a PGY 4 now, so I went through the match a couple of years ago. If I had that step1, I would NOT take step 2 until after the match. If things are different now and programs want step2 that is a different story, I just havent' heard that.

you did great on step 1. wait till at least November / after the match to take it

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of you, thanks for the advice! I think I'll wait to take it.

As late as possible, or as late as your school will allow. Doing really well isn't going to help you out that much, but doing poorly will hurt. In other words, not much to gain but a whole heck of a lot to lose.

As late as possible, or as late as your school will allow. Doing really well isn't going to help you out that much, but doing poorly will hurt. In other words, not much to gain but a whole heck of a lot to lose.

Great point, haven't really thought about it that way. Thanks.

I know the results for Step2 come out within 3 weeks. How do we prevent residencies from seeing the score? Is it something within the SF system/ERAS or something we click on when taking/registering for the test?

What about someone with an average matched applicant's step1 score (235)? Would you recommend taking step2 early? I was planning to take it in September/October. Would that be too late?

What about someone with an average matched applicant's step1 score (235)? Would you recommend taking step2 early? I was planning to take it in September/October. Would that be too late?

If you take it in September, then you can decide whether or not to release the score(s)....