When to take Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOcho118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know you have all heard this question before but I assure you I have searched far and wide and it is almost impossible to find reliable and current advice about this, specifically with regards to ortho.

Classic scenario, sitting on a solid Step 1 (253), good preclinical and clinical grades (like half honors), done pretty well on shelf exams, some research, a couple pubs, the usual. When in the world do I take Step 2???? Basically my 2 options are as follows: 1) Take it in between 3rd and 4th year (end of June) and have only like 8 days to dedicate to studying. I can try and mix in some studying during clerkships but I'm finishing with surgery so that's tough. 2) Wait until December when I have a vacation block for interviews.

Pros of taking it early: Getting it out of the way, info is more fresh in my mind, less stuff to "relearn" down the line for the test.

Cons of taking it early: Not a lot of time to dedicate to studying, and obviously I feel like I can only hurt my application if I don't do as well (especially since it would automatically be released via ERAS).

I know that there is tons of debate about how to best approach this exact scenario. I do believe that I am capable of doing well if I take it in June and I definitely understand the stance that taking it early shows confidence and all. However, I also believe that anyone is capable of having a bad test day for whatever reason. With something as important as my career and in a specialty as competitive as ortho, there's really no point in taking that chance right? Assuming I took it in December, programs would have my results back long after interviews but before submitting rank lists. At that point would my score would pretty much not matter as long as I passed?

Would love some advice from anyone who has already gone through this process or any docs who actually make decisions about applicants. How are applicants without Step 2 scores viewed and what would be the consequence if someone with otherwise good stats whom they liked as an interviewee then turned in a sub-par step 2 score before ranking was finalized? I know that the general advice in the past has been to wait but has that changed recently?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'd take it in June if I were you. With that step 1 score, plus doing well on your shelfs, and finishing on surgery shelf (which is basically IM and most heavily tested on CK) you will be ready for Step 2 CK as long as those 8 study days are used solidly and you study a bit here and there from here on out. I was in a similar boat, only took about 12 days to study for step 2, and still increased my score by 9 points from step 1. I think as competitive as ortho has gotten (and I believe it was especially competitive this last season just based on my experience) that it's becoming better to take it earlier simply to give yourself something to set yourself apart. Also, some programs "require" it to interview you supposedly, I think Orlando stated that on their Frieda site, which is another reason I took it early just in case as I was interested in that program.

On the other hand, you'd probably be fine taking it in December as I had a couple class mates take it around then with similar step scores and matched just fine (their number 1s).

You can match without taking Step 2 CK (I matched within top 3 and my CK scores came a week after rank lists were due). But it will drive you crazy trying to study while scheduling and going to interviews. You will also have forgotten a ton of medicine and OBGYN after 3 ortho away rotations. It's better to just get it over with while fresh, but you can't try to wing this test, it's harder than most med students make it out to be. Just because most people improve on Step 2, doesn't mean you will, especially if your mind is all on ortho and ortho research, etc.

I would recommend doing a mock test prior to taking the real thing. If you bomb it, maybe it would be wise to postpone. It's definitely better to have no score than a 233 next to your 253. At the very least it's a testament to your sound assessment of your own abilities at a given moment. Which is what you want in a surgeon.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I will definitely have to think about this one but currently leaning toward postponing. Also, from what I've heard, it's a good idea to take those 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th year to relax before starting 3 or 4 straight sub-i's. Either way, thanks for sharing your personal experiences.