Medschoolrunner

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status
I have about 3 and 1/2 weeks off to study for and take Step 2 if I want. I got a 223 on Step 1 and I always do poorly on multiple choice exams, so I really don't think that my step 2 score will be stellar, either. Any one have any advice on whether to take step 2 in this next month, or whether to submit my residency apps and take step 2 later? Thanks!

manning18

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
It really depends on many things, such as which specialty you're applying for, how much studying you need to do at this time, how much more studying you'll need to do later in the year (as the M-3 information starts to dissipate), how high you'd like to score, how much risk you're willing to take by taking the test later in the year (in case it doesn't work out), etc. If you're confident you can get the specialty of your choice as is, maybe you could take Step 2 soon and withhold the automatic score reporting. That way, you can release the score at the time of you choosing. It's always good to have (and bad not to have) a passing Step 2 score by the time Residency programs rank you (in late Feb/early March), as it involves less risk on their behalf. I'd recommend taking it sooner, rather than later. My personal schedule was aypical. That said, I still have yet to take my Step 2 and I started my M-4 year a while ago. One of my friends also has a modified schedule and he took his Step 2 earlier in his M-4 year. I think I should have done the same and taken Step 2 earlier, so I could have it taken care of and move on with the test of M-4 year. I say take it soon, either in July or August!