when to take step2 ck and do i have a shot at competitive programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathalot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Pretty sure I'm going into Path at this point, I've been interested in it forever and 3rd year has reinforced that interest. I'm hoping that you guys might give me some advice on when you would take step 2 ck if you were in my position. Any input on if you think my application is good enough for the competitive programs would also be appreciated.

3rd year at mid-tier MD school on east coast.
Step1: 239/99
1st year courses: 7 honors, 3 HP, 2 pass
2nd year: 3 H, 5 HP, 1P
3rd year: Honors in family, ob/gyn, pediatrics, pass in psych. not done with medicine or surg yet.
Research: no publications. did a bunch of different research projects in summers in undergrad and between MS1 and 2.
About me: Laid back, easy to get along with, english as a first language, tall, goodlooking, etc. Think i will interview fairly well.

I would like to go west coast for residency, but of would be tempted to rank some of the good east coast/midwest schools high if i get interviews there.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get interviews where you want if you apply early. If you're interested in UCSF, they specifically state that they want CK and CS scores before ranking. They will probably interview you before you take them, but keep this in mind. Other schools are starting to require this as well.

CK was way easier than Step 1 (provided you did fairly well on the shelf exams). Just do USMLE World questions, and block out at least three weeks of protected time.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Pretty sure I'm going into Path at this point, I've been interested in it forever and 3rd year has reinforced that interest. I'm hoping that you guys might give me some advice on when you would take step 2 ck if you were in my position. Any input on if you think my application is good enough for the competitive programs would also be appreciated.

3rd year at mid-tier MD school on east coast.
Step1: 239/99
1st year courses: 7 honors, 3 HP, 2 pass
2nd year: 3 H, 5 HP, 1P
3rd year: Honors in family, ob/gyn, pediatrics, pass in psych. not done with medicine or surg yet.
Research: no publications. did a bunch of different research projects in summers in undergrad and between MS1 and 2.
About me: Laid back, easy to get along with, english as a first language, tall, goodlooking, etc. Think i will interview fairly well.

I would like to go west coast for residency, but of would be tempted to rank some of the good east coast/midwest schools high if i get interviews there.

Thanks for your help!

HAHA. Don't be too full of yourself now. Don't forget to bring it up in the interview. I hear program directors like to hear that kind of stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get both CK and CS over with as quickly as possible so you have two fewer things to worry about.

My med school gave us a specific month off for taking CK, so I spent 2-3 weeks studying and used the rest for vacation time in July of fourth year. As previously mentioned, USMLE World questions are more than sufficient.

I would also try to schedule CS near the beginning of fourth year. Unfortunately, I had to wait to register until my student loan money came in so I could pay for it, and I didn't get a spot until February. But ideally, it would have been nice to get it done sooner (especially since my med school had its own clinical skills exam at the end of third year, which is supposedly quite a bit tougher than CS). Also, if you are planning on taking a fair number of pathology electives, your history and physical exam skills might get a little rusty.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm going to get CS done with asap. I just registered and will hopefully be able to schedule it within a week or two after third year ends.

My school gives us 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th years. I have the option of taking an additional two weeks off during the first block of fourth year. Having 4 weeks off would definitely give me enough time to study for CK, I'd probably use 2-3 weeks then take a week of vacation.

My predicament is that I want to do some Path electives ASAP at the beginning of fourth year so that I can get some good recommendations before it comes time to submit ERAS, in order to apply as early as possible. Taking two weeks off at the beginning of fourth year might mean that I'm a little behind on securing these letters. Even if I took the additional two weeks, I would still be able to complete two 4-week path rotations by mid-september. Submission of applications opens on Sept 1.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for your opinions. I'm going to get CS done with asap. I just registered and will hopefully be able to schedule it within a week or two after third year ends.

My school gives us 2 weeks between 3rd and 4th years. I have the option of taking an additional two weeks off during the first block of fourth year. Having 4 weeks off would definitely give me enough time to study for CK, I'd probably use 2-3 weeks then take a week of vacation.

My predicament is that I want to do some Path electives ASAP at the beginning of fourth year so that I can get some good recommendations before it comes time to submit ERAS, in order to apply as early as possible. Taking two weeks off at the beginning of fourth year might mean that I'm a little behind on securing these letters. Even if I took the additional two weeks, I would still be able to complete two 4-week path rotations by mid-september. Submission of applications opens on Sept 1.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

If I were you, I would start hanging around the path dept at school and make my face known, as well as my interest. I would also try to do some sitting in on consensus (if you have it), or going to some morning conferences. This, of course, would come by permission.

The concern about LORs from pathologists is a good point, but I would still take the extra time off to get CK over with if I were you. Don't forget that your LORs do not necessarily need to be in by the September deadline, nor does every single letter have to be from a pathologist. Many programs will invite you for an interview based on your scores and other factors even if you are missing a letter or two (as long as the letters eventually come in by the time you actually go to the interview, of course).