When to use ideal system and when not to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rraidermd

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i missed a question on my practice test only on the basis that I applied ideal instead of non ideal when it came to the conversion of PE to KE. The question only asked the relationship between PE and KE for a cyclist that is riding down a hill without pedaling. Am I supposed to always take into account nonconservative forces? I swear I heard somewhere from EK for instance that you are always suppose to assume ideal and conservative forces unless explicitly stated so. Any thoughts?