when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ARRRRRRRRRRGH SO ENVIOUS!! congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

In a brash and overconfident move I had bought a bottle of the bubbly for when I was accepted. One day I came home, opened the mail, saw that I was in, turned to the fridge, deftly removed the bottle with shaky hands, popped the cork (at this point both of my roomies turn to look, with the 2pm popping of corks and whatnot), and partied.

The End.

My sister, mother and I were on our way to do some Christmas shopping. While in the car, my roommate from school calls me and says that I have a letter. I tell her to open it and tell me what it says. I don't think i ever screamed so loud in my life. I cannot that God enough for my blessings. Congrats to everyone!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of my favorite threads. With the waitlisters getting accepted during the summer, lets see if there are any more good stories out there.

I was sitting on two waitlists debating what i was going to do if i didnt get in. I was taking a nap after work but was a bit restless, so i called to get my messages (go figure that my cell phone broke a few nights before). The dean of admissions at temple had left me a message... as soon as I heard it i called my mom and we both cried for about ten minutes. It's a great feeling, I agree witht the transition from "i want to get into medical school" to "i'm going to be a doctor"... it's very honoring.

yay, congrats everyone

At my interview with my first (and first choice) school, the interviewer said "We're very impressed with your file, I can't make any promises but if I were you I wouldn't be worried", and a friend in the law school there had his interviewer say the same thing right before he was accepted, so I kinda knew what was coming. Hence no screaming and jumping up and down, just sitting down in shock, repeating "I'm going to be a doctor. They're actually going to let ME be a doctor!"

Then "They're letting me be a doctor? Are they crazy?!?!"

Then back to "OhMyGod I get to be a doctor!"

Definitely a few tears :)

I had the same thing happen as some other people with my significant other kinda shrugging it off. All he said was "I knew you'd get in", then later I made some comment about what a relief to not have the stress, and the fam not having to put UP with the stress, and he made some comment about how nice that would be, as if it was some huge burden or something. I wanted shouting and dancing around and congratulations and offers to take me out to celebrate, you know? Like someone else said, maybe this is just the first of many experiences where the person not going through it can't really relate...

I'm going to be a doctor! :clap: Yep, still makes me grin like a fool!

Reactions: 1 user
my best friend went skydiving

I got home from work to discover a fat envelope in my mailbox from my #1 choice. My stomach was full of butterflies and my hand shook as I opened it and read the first sentence of the letter, "Congratulations, we are pleased ...." Everything after that was a blur. I was jumping up and down and screaming. What a feeling!!!!!!! Definitely on top of the world. Then I called my mom and she was screaming and crying. That night I called all my out-of-town friends to share the good news while downing a few drinks with my in-town friends . My parents were burning up their cell phone minutes to call all our relatives and friends to let them know that I was going to be a doctor. It took several days to come down from cloud nine. Everyday I would read the acceptance letter and experience the "acceptance high". It was definitely a defining moment in my life.

i went out to run some errands one saturday in early may and saw that the mailbox was full. i decided to bring in the mail even though i was not expecting any news from med schools b/c i had been waitlisted most everywhere and it wasn't mid-may yet. so i was sorting the mail and saw a big envelope but didn't think anything of it. then i saw the return address and it said georgetown school of medicine. quickly i looked at who it was addressed to and it was to ME!!! (my roommate is an alum of gtown and was always getting mail from them...ugh!). i frantically opened the envelope and didn't even get past the first sentence before calling my mom. i told her and started crying! it was such a HUGE relief/release!
my roommates weren't there when i got the mail, and i went out afterward to run some errands. when i got back they were there and were so cute -- standing in front of my door smiling cause they'd seen the mail on my bed! that night i went out with some friends and had a few drinks :).

Originally posted by moops
i pooped

hahahaha....

thats always a good way to relax and reflect on your journey......
alone in the quiet whirring bathroom.
sweet...

I just got accepted a few days ago. Surprisingly, they told me in person right after my interview. Now, I was NOT expecting an in-person admission invite, so I just went into shock.

They told me right before we started eating lunch and I just went cold. I was happy, but I COULD NOT talk, almost felt sick so I couldn't eat... I sat there, calm and composed, and thanked the admissions committee quietly for admitting me. No screaming or anything. Later, they asked me, "aren't you happy? Why didn't you scream or laugh or something?"

That's just the way I react to good news... very reserved and calm.

OldMD

That's great news. Congratulations! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats OldMd! Your post gave me goosebumps!

I wanted to remind people of the fact that especially around MCAT score times, some schools send you information about their "OTHER" programs. These mailings do come in big thick envelopes and cause real excitement until you see they are junk mail.

Thought I would let the SDNers that don't know this happens, know not to get too excited about an envelope until they know what it is.

Here's hoping we all get accepted to the schools of our dreams:cool:

OldMD: can you tell us which school it was? i thought no one was making acceptances until 10/30.

Originally posted by futuredrswife
OldMD: can you tell us which school it was? i thought no one was making acceptances until 10/30.

NEOUCOM in Ohio. I did Early Decision application.

I found out on the 5th. Pretty excited, called all my friends/family, but no jumping for joy and screaming. Just taking care of budiness.... one more thing down and lots more to go before I'm a doc.

feel free to prolong this thread................very interresting to see how different people react

I shreeked and started hopping up and down from foot to foot.

Then I began having grand illusions of celebrating by going out to dinner or having a nice glass of wine...two hours later I was sitting in front of the TV eating a can of split-pea soup and watching the discovery channel. Obviously, my acceptance changed my life, but only for a few seconds.

Actually, my bf (who also got accepted to Tulane yesterday) and I are going to CIRQUE DU SOLEIL on friday to reward ourselves.

Yeay!

I gave a hug to my gf for all love and support.
Then walked in circles and covered my eyes with both hands saying "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG..."

Of course, I found out just 2 days ago.

Originally posted by jlee9531
thats always a good way to relax and reflect on your journey...... alone in the quiet whirring bathroom. sweet...

MOOPS said he pooped; he did not say he was alone, nor did he say that he was in the quiet or privacy of a bathroom! :laugh:

Duke also sent out a thin envelope. My heart sank, because a buddy the previous year, had told me to expect a thick envelope. I tossed it aside and became introspective. Sat on the sofa, watched some Discovery and Bravo.

Mom happened to call. I gave her the bad news. She asked me what, if anything other than the usual "We regret to inform you ...." crap was written. Half-heartedly, I admitted that I had not even opened the letter.

Honestly, she expected a rejection after hearing it was a thin envelope, but Mom still wanted me to open the envelope. So, with her on the phone, I did. All she heard was my quiet gasp, and then silence. With great warmth in her voice, she said, "I really sorry for you. I know you wanted to go to Duke."

She said a few others words, none of which I heard: I was excitedly telling her that I was in! :clap:

Moms can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I am glad that I got to share that moment with her. :love:

i think it was the assistant dean that called me and told me.......and i was in the middle of tutoring this kid and i went all happy happy joy joy........and then i told her that i loved her.

then for some reason the conversation took an awkward turn and the call ended....;)

I called WFU and asked if letters had been sent out yet. I she told me that I had been accepted and I said, "Are you sure?" She said "Yes I am sure...congratulations!" I jumped up and down....screaming (I couldn't stop). My son comes in "Mom, are you OK" "Yeees, mommy gonna be a doctor!" My daughter comes in all excited and we're holding hands in a circle screaming loud, "Mommy's gonna be a doctor, ......" I ran outside and shouted to the whole neighborhood...."Whoooooo.....I'm gonna be a doctor." Then all three of us went outside screaming spinning a big circle and we fell in the grass. I just kept screaming..."Whooooo hooooo!!!"

My buzz stayed for about 2 hours.......It was GREAT!!!!!:laugh:

Heb

That is a great story. Congrats!

My interviewer from UNC called me on Monday, while I was up interviewing in NYC for the week. I was staying with a friend from high school, and she wasn't home from work yet- so it was just her roommates (none of whom I knew previously) and me... so I tried to contain the excitement so as not to scare them off!

Naturally, I called everyone I knew :clap:

I found out from a phone call from my mom while I was at Disneyland in Califorina. I promptly went to the rainforest cafe and loaded up on a few drinks with friends and then spent the rest of the day riding rides and chilling out....all in all it was a pretty sweet day.

:)

-Rob

:) i remember reading this thread just after taking the mcat and hoping one day i'd be lucky enough to post my experience in it.

so the day i got accepted i had 2 midterms and had barely gotten any sleep. minute i got done w/my o-chem and physics midterm i went to the computer lab and checked my email...nothing. checked sdn...no one had really heard anything. went home to unwind. was on the couch, surfing on the net, checking sdn periodically and commiserating w/all the applicants who hadn't heard anything...composed a med school haiku...and then the phone rang. i had caller id and when i saw "baylor college of medicine" i think i just about flipped out. i breathlessly answered "hello" trying to be nonchalant but definitely failing....my heart was pounding as though i'd just run a marathon...it was all slow motion....the dean saying "i got a stack of acceptances here, and i'm looking at your name in this list"...and then i just screamed (think i sort of deafened him) and said some unintelligible things...hung up....i screamed again and cried....i was shaking all over for 10 minutes.....i called everyone i knew and basically floated on cloud nine for about 2 days. :D man, that was a moment i will never forget.

Today my roommated called me during class...I listened to the voicemail right afterward. She said there was an envelope here from Penn State...I was pretty confident it was an acceptance, so I started jumping up and down and screaming in the middle of campus! Then I ran to the bus stop, rode home, and there it was! So I started calling everyone imaginable, left an "OMG I'M IN!"-type away message, etc. This could not have come at a better time, since I've been feeling incredibly stressed out and depressed this week. This is better than Prozac! :D

I started this thread because when I found out I had gotten in, it was one of the happiest moments of my life.....

If I could go back, I would have had a camcorder ready so that one of my relatives or friends could have captured the moment...

congrats to all of you, and keep the stories coming...

entropy.

i jumped around in circles and shouted.

oh wait, that's when i got an interview.

Happened just last night. Got an email from the dean of admissions. My girlfriend was on her way over to say hi because I had a long night of studying ahead of me (for biochem). So I left the email open and told her I had a surprise for her. I told her to look at my computer. Lots of smiles. Then I called my parents, my mom almost jumped out of her skin when I told her. Overall, a good experience. Wish I didn't have a biochem test still left to take today, though.

I was in Florida for a couple of interviews and my girlfriend was helping me check my mail at home. While I was sleeping, she called me at alittle past midnight to tell me the good news. I was so happy that the feeling was indescrible. I went back to sleep, call her the next morning just to see if I was dreaming or not. I was indeed in!!!! Great great feeling. I hope all of you can experience it as well. Best of luck!

This is what happened when I found out about my first acceptance.

Dad: You got into medical school.

Me: Really? That's cool.

ur dad opens ur mail?

Originally posted by dan0909
ur dad opens ur mail?
Yes. I have an apartment by college and all my mail goes to my parents' house.

Do they do your laundry also?

Originally posted by Tezzie
Do they do your laundry also?
No they don't. Not you again.:rolleyes:

I was sitting on a train, coming back from a different interview, when I got a message to call uchicago medical school. I called and the assistant dean of admissions was on the phone, very excited, telling me to go celebrate because I had just been accepted. I called everyone I knew and then went crazy because I had to sit on the train for 5 more hours and all I wanted to do was jump around and celebrate. I couldn't believe, it. Its been 3 days and I still can't believe that I am going to medical school and that I am going to be a doctor. Then I got home and went out to celebrate. Now I am having feelings of what the hell am I getting myself into..but really, it is exciting. Congrats to everyone, this has been an exhilerating process and I look forward to meeting future classmates!

yah i know watcha mean...

i reallyt wasnt all that excited when i found out i had gotten in...its been something that ive wanted for a while...but now i know im gonna be 3 states away from my home and friends for the next 6 yrs...i figure it will be worth it though...

but i WAS excited when i found out i finally did halfway decent on my MCAT, such that i knew i had a good shot of getting in...

I was so excited that I, that I, that I, went to my class that was scheduled 10 minutes after the call. :(

I took a walk around campus and asked three random people what osteopathy is. After getting three responses of "bone doctors," I went back to my room and began to cry.

Reactions: 1 users
I sat down on the stairs by my mailbox and cried for a minute - it was such an overwhelmingly calm but excited feeling and I could'nt stop this great rush of emotion. It was a really great acceptance letter too, and that made me feel wonderful, too.

I called my girlfriend at work and told her the news, and then got in the car and drove around town on the freeway while cranking heavy metal music and pumping my fist in the air wildly.

I had a terrible week fighting off a very bad case of flu. My symptoms began on a Saturday, then felt the worst on Monday and Tuesday. I completely lost my voice on those days, but by Thursday, I was able to regain my voice and feel somewhat better. When Friday rolled around, I felt I was back to normal. Like any other day, I checked my cell phone messages as I so often did. My dad left a message in Friday mid-afternoon telling me that he and my mom just got back from Las Vegas. After hearing this message, I proceeded to work on two research homework assignments due within a few weeks. After working for another 2 hours or so, I became very bored and decided to chat with my dad. When I called my dad again, the first thing he told me was, "Did you hear my message for the good news?" I thought to myself, "What good news?" He said, "Did you know you got accepted to a medical school?" I couldn't believe it. I didn't cry, but the experience just made me so happy and speechless. After going through a hellish week and now getting an acceptance, things could not get any better. I then proceeded to tell some of my friends about how I got sick and received my acceptance.

Last edited:
I got my acceptance two weeks ago and I couldn't believe it at first. I had to read the letter about 2 times being that I forgot that I applied to the school for admission. Then I remembered when I sent off a bunch of applications. I had already set in my mind that I was going to have to do another 3yrs before I could apply again to med school since I started applying at 70 credits-I'm applying as a high school student. My grades aren't the best in town. So, since I didn't hear from any med schools I applied to, then I assumed that I would have to do a post-bac. program to improve my grades then re-apply.

For those that may be wondering, my interview was held over the phone since I'm going to be an international med student. However, my interview was so casual that I did not even know that when I recieved the call, that that's what was going on.

Anywho, now I'm off to finish this semester and next with a big bang and get a full-time job in the summer to pay for plane fare and have a little extra to spend while I'm over there. It's going to be a long ride since my program is 6yrs to complete-3yrs for the undergrad/Master work-2yrs clinical's here in the US which have to include Naturopathic rotations-1yr Fellowship in Integrative Medicine.

Well I'm off to class now. I'm late by 15min.

:clap:

i was nosy... i had a feeling that my husband would receive a letter on saturday, and he did. i went to the mailbox and found a thick-ish envelope from the school already OPEN! how could i not peek into an OPEN ENVELOPE!? i saw "it is my great pleasure..." and started screaming and running back to our apartment. i threw open the door and yelled, "you got in!" he said, "you opened it?" (but he understood.)

when we called his mom, she almost started crying. she was very skeptical at the beginning of this process (when he had one undergraduate degree with a 2.9 gpa) and we teased her. my husband asked, "so are you starting to get excited about this whole med school thing?"