when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was 9:00am and, as usual, i had just woken up and was going to check my email and student doctor(first thing i do in the morning)....it was a lovely june morning....i had been put on the waitlist at usc and had accepted a spot at penn state already....and was just waiting to get off of the usc waitlist....so i clicked on "inbox" and this email shows up from penn state with the title "multiple accetpances".....first thought that ran through my mind was "huh? i'm only waitlisted at usc....and i haven't gotten a call or anything from them"..so i opened the email and there in black and white it said i had been extended an acceptance from keck usc and needed to make up my mind between them (penn state) and usc.....i immediately started crying...with shock, with fear that it was a mistake.....i called my fiance and told him what the email said, all the while crying and saying "what if it's a mistake? what if it is?"...he calmed me down, and told me to go call usc...so i call usc, and told the lady about the email i had gotten from penn state...she sounded confused, put me on hold, then came back and asked for my name..i told her, and she put me on hold again....then someone else comes on the phone, and says sorry, i only called penn state to tell them you were on the waitlist...and i said, so this was a mistake? and she said yes....so, feeling like "oh god, i knew it was too good to be true!" i hung up the phone and went to work.....later than afternoon i get a call on my cell phone from a number i didn't know....i checked the message, and it was the head of admissions saying she wanted me to call her back.....so i called, and left a message, thinking she just wanted to apologize for the mix-up....she calls me back, apologizes for the misunderstanding, and says she'd like to offer me a place in the class!!!!! i babbled a bit, said thank you, then hung up--and screamed to my friend who was over that i had gotten in!! of course, she was already listening by the door when she realized who it was......
best phone call i've ever gotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

entropy said:
i screamed off the top of my lungs : )

My first acceptance was to NJMS back in early March. The dean called me on my cell at about 930PM, just as I was driving home with a sandwich from Subway. As soon as the call was over I literally started screaming in my car! I started calling all my friends and family but I could barely form the sentences to talk to them, I was that excited. I think it took like 2 hours for my pulse to come back to normal. TRULY one of the best moments of my life. :love:

My very first acceptance came at 6am on October 15th from one of my state schools. The school is notorious for sending emails early in the morning, but I wasn't expecting any kind of notification so soon, especially not on the very first possible day of being accepted. So I get up at the arse-crack of dawn to get ready for my 8am class, drowsily fumbling around my room. I plop down at my desk to check my email before I hop in the shower as I do every morning. Curiously, I see a new email that was just sent to my inbox telling me to check my status page for that particular school. "Oh, they're probably just telling me that my application has been completed since I recently interviewed there," is what's running through my head. I check my status page, read that the first word in the message is "Congratulations..." and proceed to skip around my entire apartment laughing and screaming. I wake up all my roomies, and even though they wanted to strangle me for waking them up so early, they're happy for me anyway.

The initial joy lasts for a while as I let it wash over me that all those years of preparation paid off. Needless to say, I'm too numb to take a shower, and I walk around to my classes all day looking like an unshaven, unshowered scrub. I'm really going to be a doctor. I still don't believe it to this day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had just arrived home from Thailand. I had travelled for 30+ hours with no sleep, I missed a connecting flight, the airline lost my luggage, and I was recovering from 6 days of fever and massive diarrhea :scared:
(I'm not kidding or exaggerating... it was really a great trip but things fell apart for me at the end)

I got home and checked my answering machine messages and there it was! I just smiled and took a deep breath. Then I phoned everyone I knew:
"Yes I made it home... lost baggage... missed flight... squirts... but I have something great to show you - listen to this message"

Then I went to sleep.
Quit my job the next day :D

I always expected that I'd be jumping up and down screaming and stuff... I never got excited like that, but every now and then it "just hits me" and I get all emotional and tearful when I think about actually becoming a doctor.

Can't wait to start!

I was talking on the phone to my boyfriend when I heard the call waiting beep. I DESPISE call waiting and NEVER EVER pick up the beeps. I simply hate putting people on hold in the middle of a conversation.

Well, my boyfriend heard that momentary cut-off in my voice when the beep came through so he knew I had a call on the other line. He told me it may be the realtor calling (we were selling our house) and urged me to get it. I did. I answered with this nonchallant hello, only to hear the Head Honcho at Adcom on the other end. He wasted no time in telling me that there was an opening at my TOP CHOICE and it had my name on it!!!! I said "Are you serious" (as if he would have been lying??).

After the call, I switched back over to my boyfriend on the other line. "Man, am I glad I took that call," I said. "Why? The realtor?" "No, it was XYZ school telling me I just got in!!!!" I screamed.

I started jumping on the sofa like a little kid as I talked to him. We both cried and then the flurry of phone calls followed.

That night, I partied like a rock star.... good times, my friends....

jumped up a lot, screamed a lot, promptly called sick out of work and everyone i knew, and went out for a nice early dinner in north beach. i had partied like a rock star in vegas before i found out and thus was somewhat partied out.

This is such an awesome thread!!!! It's so cool to read about all these nice pre-med endings among all these "oh no I'll never get in!! my gpa/mcat/extracurriculars are not good enough." I'm applying right now, and even tho each application/situation is diff. reading these posts give me a glimmer of hope.

And its so nice to read about some truly emotional responses cuz that means that there will be some great, sincere, caring doctors out there in the near future. Of course, those who didnt have an emotional response may very well be great doctors as well, but...u know what im saying.

Congrats everyone and gluck!! and i hope ill be able to add my own post in the near future <<fingers crossed>> =) :D

Kept my cool, phoned my parents and some friends, and did a little * dance * :p

After three years of applying, 3 times with the MCAT, god knows how much money down the drain....I got a really skinny envelope from Tulane in the mail...then I opened it...and it said I was in. I called my mom and cried.

Greatest Day Ever

That's the most awesome thing I've heard!! :wow: :wow:

Congrats on both wonderful accomplishments!! :clap: :clap:

I'll have to keep that in mind, but somehow I think i'd want to know for sure i got in before i proposed; i'd hate a rejection letter to tamper the euphoria.

I was just going to write almost the exact same thing.

Congrats all for your amazing accomplishments! :clap: :clap:

This is a terrific thead, the best thing I've ever read.....it gives hope for all the hard work, and painstaking anxiety. I can actually feel the euphoria you are experiencing and seeing the reactions makes me confident that you have found your life's calling and that you will all make terrific doctors. :)

As sappy as it makes me sound to admit this, some of your posts actually brought tears to my eyes and made me think...will i ever experience that myself? :confused: i now know how much i really want this too...now the real challenge begins. :scared: :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
I had already reapplied and filled out 9 secondaries, gotten an apartment in DC and planned on attending the Georgetown SMP program when I got the email. I read it once and didn't realize what it meant...I had to read it a few times before it finally sunk in. Then I called everyone I knew. It still hasn't sunk in (mostly because I only have 8 days until orientation starts).

All the waiting and all the anxiety were forgotten instantaneously, I'll never forget it.

bosox03 said:
I had already reapplied and filled out 9 secondaries, gotten an apartment in DC and planned on attending the Georgetown SMP program when I got the email. I read it once and didn't realize what it meant...I had to read it a few times before it finally sunk in. Then I called everyone I knew. It still hasn't sunk in (mostly because I only have 8 days until orientation starts).

All the waiting and all the anxiety were forgotten instantaneously, I'll never forget it.

Congrat Bosox03. :thumbup: It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
As for me: 4 days before Christmas, a knock on the door, Airborn Express delivery man, a big envelope, didn't know what it meant till I opened it. Then cried for 5sec, hugged my mom, called my bf, and ate alot of food during christmas.

Members don't see this ad :)
well..lets post my experience..

actually i called the admissions office to see when the adcom meeting was going to take place for the applicants and cuz i was really getting anxious. Well a nice lady picked up the phone and asked me my name and then said "Please Hold on" bout 2 minutes later.......the dean of admissions comes on the phone and informs me that I was accepted :):):):)i kept my cool while talkin to him BUT as soon as i hung up the phone....BAM!!! i was jumping all over the place.....my parents had gone out to the supermarket..i called them and due to poor reception in the store...my mom thought i DIDNT get into the program.( that was crazy)..i had to call her like 5 times to straighten things out....then she went nuts and so did my dad.....Then i called everyone I knew and even all the doubter that thought i coluldnt do it........THEN all the fun had to stop because i had a biochem final the next day and i had to do good if i wanted a max grade of a B+ cuz i screwd up the 2nd exam cuz of the MCAT.....welll..i studied a lil and got a 98!! the highest grade in the class:) THEN THE FUN STARTED AGAIN....AND HASENT STOPPED SINCE:):):)

just bumping up this thread.....

i am happy for everyone....

entropy.

I knew they were gonna call me on Thursday after I interviewed. I sat in my living room unable to move or think playing solitaire on my laptop. About 4:30, the phone rings and I hear, "Did you hear yet?"....I had to get my friend off the phone..

I heard an hour later. (Turns out she had called at 3, but I was in class, my hubby thought it was one of my friends). A med student on the committee said " I am calling to offer you a place in our entering class for 2005...I didn't really hear the rest. I was crying before I got off the phone.

I called everyone I ever met and then went to dinner with my mom and sister. I partied that weekend with friends none of whom understand at all what I am doing, but are supportive just the same.....

:cool:

WiscoFan14 said:
After three years of applying, 3 times with the MCAT, god knows how much money down the drain....I got a really skinny envelope from Tulane in the mail...then I opened it...and it said I was in. I called my mom and cried.

Greatest Day Ever

Skinny envelope....thank you, now I wont freak when I see that!

Ummm...well, I'm an RA in a dorm, so I had been "helping" the office staff sort the mail for a few days prior (only volunteering to go through the bin with larger envelopes :rolleyes:). I just happened upon the letter and the outside of the envelope had something like "The first four years in a lifetime of healing." Tore it open, saw the "congratulations" and started shaking/crying like a total pansy. I called my mom and sister and then had lunch. All in all, pretty anticlimactic. My friends were amazing though. I had more drinks purchased for me on accont of med school acceptance than I did for my 21st birthday! Nice bottle of champaign from the bartender, too. This past week has arguably been one of the best in my life (thus far). I'm excited for October 15 to roll around and to see all the other SDN success stories. :) I can't wait for more posts on this thread!

I'm sooo envious. I will be letting y'all know sometime after midnight of Feb. 1. That's how the Texas schools work. It's going to be a tough wait!! :(

I had an Emory interview on 10/15 so my cell was off all day. As soon as I got out of the interview I saw I had a ton of missed calls, from my mom, sister, boyfriend and from an area code in gainesville, fl. I called my sister (since I needed directions back to her place from Emory - she lives in Atlanta) and she was like yeah, mom called and said someone from UF called said he had good news and congratulated her on raising a fine daughter. I started crying because I was so excited... schools don't call on 10/15 to hand out bad news. I pulled over and listened to my phone messages. Sure enough Dr. Gold left a message saying to call him back. I did and after he confirmed my suspicions (and I started crying again) I thanked him profusely.

I called my whole family and my boyfriend (who goes to UF med) and I think I was the most excited out of anyone. Unless you go through all this BS you can't know how good it feels to be accepted.

My sister and I went out and got our bellybuttons pierced (I have had TONS of piercings in my life but all were sacrificed to get into med school) and then we went to a nice restaurant for dinner and I went to sleep very satisfied.

The end.

:) :)

I woke up on 10/15/04 with a pounding headache, which I NEVER GET. Called into work and said I'd be in at 10 instead of the usual 8. Got to work at 10 and received a phone call that I would not have been in position to take if I got to work on time (work in a hospital, would have been on a telemetry floor). Lucky headache!

I was thrilled. But I called my folks, told some friends at work, and then got back to work.

A lady friend took me out to dinner. The biggest thing for me was that I was in. No more MCAT - ever. No more interviews until residency or for a job. No more worry about if someone likes me. Relief is a good way to describe it. And I actually felt like I accomplished something. All that MCAT study time and stress, the mechanism of a Diels-Alder reaction, killing mice - paid off in full with a short phone call.

Got a second nice call today. Not the thrill of the first time, but great to hear and very validating again. So now I got me some options, too. Hopefully Emory, Jefferson, and Stony Brook will be as generous...

Good luck to all!

dc

Bump... I know more people have heard the good news. How did it make you feel? I'm still excited!

CyberTammy said:
Bump... I know more people have heard the good news. How did it make you feel? I'm still excited!

hahahaha..everytime i get upset..i whip out my letter of acceptance and im happy again! :laugh: :laugh:

My parents had called me at 8:50 AM on October 15, which woke me up. I was just debating whether to go back to bed when my phone rang at 9:05. I recognized the area code and exchange and started hyperventilating. She said, "hi, this is Kim -- I'm calling to say congratulations." I think my voice went up about two octaves and I probably started thanking her profusely, but I don't really remember.

Then I shrieked into my pillow. Then I called my parents and was all "Aaaaaaugh I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN! I'm going to be a doctor! eeeeeeeeeeeee!" Then I shrieked into my pillow some more. Then I grinned all day.

It started with a few yells and evil laughs (like an "I won, bitches!" laugh). Then I forced my mom to take a shot of Chivas Regal with me. Finally, I drove to the gym with the "Rocky" soundtrack on full-blast (Temple accepted me) and then gave my shoulders the worst workout they could have ever imagined. Awesome. Time to finish my Olde E. :thumbup:

I started tearing up.. and then I think I peed a little.. ha ha.. just kidding.. my nephew just fell asleep so my sister and I celebrated in whisper voices! Man... best feeling i've had in a long time! Good luck to all ofyou, being accepted really takes your breath away... and is a true "atta (insert gender: girl/boy)"
:D

I found out last saturday, just after the entire school left for fall break.

I recieved the phone call and somehow managed not to scream with joy as the dean told me. I gently hung up the phone and called all my friends, but no one was home. My family was gone too. I then walked the empty streets of Ann Arbor looking for someone, anyone, to tell. Finally, I gave up and went to pick up my suit from the cleaners. So, some poor man, who did not speak much english and was just trying to give me the suit and get me out so he could enjoy his weekend, was the first person I told. I am not entirely sure he knew what I was talking about what with all the elated screaming and joyous jumping,... but he was happy for me anyway.

I wandered home from work, two bags and a spare coat in my hands. I somehow fumbled around for my mailbox keys. I pulled out my mail and there was a letter from Med School X. I dropped my bags, tore open the letter and took a victory lap around the parking lot.

I made a bunch of spastic phone calls to my family and then jumped around a bit yelling with my best friend when he got home (and I'm on the downhill side of 30).

Some friends and I went out for dinner and a nice bottle of champagne. May I recommend a Sparkling wine from Argyle Winery in Oregon?

This all took place on 11/2/04, election day. After dinner I had to sit down and watch the election results. I'm pretty liberal so was really dissapointed about the election results, but I tell ya, it still couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Good Luck to all!! And when you get in, make sure to reward your hard work with some good celebrating.

I smiled for a good hour straight. Just straight Speechless. Things become so surreal. Nothing has settled in...and probably won't until that White Coat Ceremony!

i was at work and i let out this yell, jumped into my pi's office, yelled ' I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL!', ran down the hall into my lab, jumped high in the air and yelled 'I GOT IN TO MED SCHOOL!' and screamed, scaring everyone in my lab and causing other people from other labs to come out into the hall b/c they all thought that there was a fire.

then i hid in a corner and cried tears of joy and called everyone i knew. :)

I was at a business meeting with my boss. We stopped in her hotel room on the way to the meeting and I checked my email. There was the email. I thought I was reading it wrong. I think I read it three times before I screamed "I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL!" My boss was jumping up and down and made me call everyone she knows as soon as I called my family.

I was ecstatic even when she kept singling me out - "Hey guess what, she got into med school today" during the entire meeting (full of accomplished physicians, of course). It became sort of embarrasing. But I felt like I had been let into the club....

I did a little dance, made a little love

i popped out a beer and drank it by myself (yes.. i know it's sad to drink by yourself :( ). then i went to class drunk and just sat there grinning through the whole class. i think everyone thought i was a weirdo, but i didn't care... the acceptance was worth making an ass of myself :cool:

later that night was the same routine as other people: call up family + friends, chilled, partied, etc.

I was at work, and when I returned from the animal room a co-worker had told me my cell phone had been ringing. I just KNEW what it was... but scrambled for my cell mumbling "please don't be my mom, please don't be my mom..." I listened to the message, promptly started freaking out, but managed to call them back... when I got off I ran back into the lab with a monstrous smile on my face, called my parents (conversation w/ my dad: me: "Dad, are you sitting down?" Dad: "Why, are you getting married?" me: "ummmm... no.") and just sat in a daze for a bit. Best part, my PI came through about 10 minutes later, and asked me how my interviews were going. "Well... actually... I just got a phone call..." :D

Called my family, my friends, more family and more friends then my phone died. :( So what is there to do but hi-jack someone else's phone and use up their minutes :) and use it to tell everyone that we were going out on a Tuesday.

I thoroughly enjoyed all my girlie mixed drinks that night :clap:

I was in Cleveland for my Case interview and checked my messages just before going to bed (I was in flight when the call came so couldn't talk to the person) and the person who had interviewed me said he had couple of questions on my application and to give him a call back....well needless to say that I tossed and turned all night because I was not expecting what I got the next day (UNC has a reputaion of being slow and taking most of their class offf of waitlist...or so I was told by tour guides) ..... so just before my Case interview session was to start I paged the number and in about 30 minutes I got a call (Thank God it was after Dean of admissions had just stopped talking and we were having breakfast.....I quickly ran through the double glass doors and asnwered in a concerned voice after I saw who it was as to what questions he had for me......And he goes ....well the committee met yesterday and we have decided to offer you a position in our incoming class ..... Do you accept it......And I just started Oh my God over and over again and after that I said that is a wonderful news....Thank you Dr. XXX Thank you over and over again while I was trying to laugh (but not so hard that everyone will start looking) ..he was laughing with me and said, "I thought you will like it." .....Then we hung up with me telling him that now I can relax and cancel rest of my interviews and laughed some more..... Him and I connected really well during the interview .. so It was easier to talk to him freely.... . Then I walked into the room and there were only two candidates left in the room (rest had already gone for tour or interviews) ......and I was grinning and they asked me ....good news ...and I said yes...most definitely......and then I told them about it and then I called everyone else but my family had already called up everyone else so everytime I called someone they said congratulations before I could say anything......... needless to say the Case interview went pretty well.......I was so relaxed and we just had a wonderful conversation......

sorry for the long post.......just wanted to digitize my thoughts before I forgot what that day was like...... :D

Good Luck y'all

Any more word from the class of '09? :D

i got my first two acceptances on october 15 (wright state and ohio state). i was always hoping to post something of an orgasmic nature on this thread, but, alas, reality bitch-slapped me. i drove to dartmouth (14 hours ONE WAY from my house) for an interview on the 14th, and during the trip, my back went out. really bad. when i got home at about 7AM on the 15th, i took a nap and awoke at about 3PM. my parents excitedly said "here's your mail!"

i opened letters, quietly uttered "well, there it is, enjoy" handed them to my parents, and went back to bed.

i know, i know, i'm just soooo exciting, huh? :rolleyes: :laugh:

I had a really good feeling about my interview at school X and thought that I would get it, but still RAN to my mailbox everyday for two weeks after my interview. After several weeks of running home and being disappointed that there was no letter I decided to let it go and stop being obsessive. I stopped checking my mail for a few days, but when I got home on this particular day I felt drawn to the mailbox. I opened it, and sure enough, there was a letter from med school x welcoming me to the class of 2009! :D I stood there, in the basement of my apartment complex and cried. All the hard work, all the sacrifices had paid off...I'm going to be a doctor!
After standing there crying for a few minutes, I decided to share the good news and called everyone I had ever known, then went out for a celebration dinner with my friends. :)

Warning: kinda sentimental post

I completed the Georgetown SMP this past July and went through the agony of sitting on a handful of waitlists all summer - dragged along by multiple schools only to be finally denied by all of them in August. After SMP, I had to move back home, didn't have a job, no med school, in debt, living with parents again, the waitlists not looking good, had to reapply, had to plug through the MCAT for a second time in August... anyway you get the idea, it wasn't too fun a summer. Pretty low point.

I had an early interview in early september with one of the schools that had strung me along all summer, which was a pretty good experience.

About three weeks ago though I sat with my family in an ICU as my grandfather was taken off life-support. We were there with him as he slowly and calmy slipped away. I was pretty numb throughout the whole ordeal.

Around that time is also when I thought I might be hearing back from the school, so I was fairly nervous on top of all the whole ordeal. I would be recieving a phonecall if I got in.

The Tuesday about two weeks ago (11/9), I woke up to go to work, walked outside and found that my car had been booted.... because I had forgotten to put on the 5$ parking sticker I had gotten the day prior. But in addition to the boot (150$ ticket too) I saw that my window had been smashed and that my stero had been stolen. "Great," I thought "what's next..."

I spent the entire morning trying to get someone to come take the boot off so I could go to work and get yelled at for being late. Around early afternoon once the boot was finally off and as I was about to leave for work, I got a phone call.

Nope, not the one I had been hoping for. It was my mother... she told me that her mother had passed away that day. I just couldn't believe it. Two of my grandparents, one on either side of the family had passed away within nearly a week of each other. I hardly even reacted to it... Mom informed me that I was to show up for a funeral the following weekend. I never ended up going to work that day. I just kinda sat at home not doing much, and not really feeling like talking to anyone. Life couldn't get much worse...

About 9:30PM that evening, my phone rang again, but this time it was a number I didn't recognize... so I picked up and it was that moment we all wish we could just hold onto and relive again and again. "Congratulations" was all I heard. I don't remember the rest of the call. When I hung up the phone I just slumped down in my chair and laughed at myself for a good 5 minutes or so. Then I cried for the first time in what felt like a very long while. Without calling a soul I drove several hours home to see my parents hoping that my news might cheer them up. It did.

dbpatto said:
Warning: kinda sentimental post

I completed the Georgetown SMP this past July and went through the agony of sitting on a handful of waitlists all summer - dragged along by multiple schools only to be finally denied by all of them in August. After SMP, I had to move back home, didn't have a job, no med school, in debt, living with parents again, the waitlists not looking good, had to reapply, had to plug through the MCAT for a second time in August... anyway you get the idea, it wasn't too fun a summer. Pretty low point.

I had an early interview in early september with one of the schools that had strung me along all summer, which was a pretty good experience.

About three weeks ago though I sat with my family in an ICU as my grandfather was taken off life-support. We were there with him as he slowly and calmy slipped away. I was pretty numb throughout the whole ordeal.

Around that time is also when I thought I might be hearing back from the school, so I was fairly nervous on top of all the whole ordeal. I would be recieving a phonecall if I got in.

The Tuesday about two weeks ago (11/9), I woke up to go to work, walked outside and found that my car had been booted.... because I had forgotten to put on the 5$ parking sticker I had gotten the day prior. But in addition to the boot (150$ ticket too) I saw that my window had been smashed and that my stero had been stolen. "Great," I thought "what's next..."

I spent the entire morning trying to get someone to come take the boot off so I could go to work and get yelled at for being late. Around early afternoon once the boot was finally off and as I was about to leave for work, I got a phone call.

Nope, not the one I had been hoping for. It was my mother... she told me that her mother had passed away that day. I just couldn't believe it. Two of my grandparents, one on either side of the family had passed away within nearly a week of each other. I hardly even reacted to it... Mom informed me that I was to show up for a funeral the following weekend. I never ended up going to work that day. I just kinda sat at home not doing much, and not really feeling like talking to anyone. Life couldn't get much worse...

About 9:30PM that evening, my phone rang again, but this time it was a number I didn't recognize... so I picked up and it was that moment we all wish we could just hold onto and relive again and again. "Congratulations" was all I heard. I don't remember the rest of the call. When I hung up the phone I just slumped down in my chair and laughed at myself for a good 5 minutes or so. Then I cried for the first time in what felt like a very long while. Without calling a soul I drove several hours home to see my parents hoping that my news might cheer them up. It did.

wow, congratulations! that's an amazing story. i wish you all the best. :luck:

krelian said:
i popped out a beer and drank it by myself (yes.. i know it's sad to drink by yourself :( ). then i went to class drunk and just sat there grinning through the whole class. i think everyone thought i was a weirdo, but i didn't care... the acceptance was worth making an ass of myself :cool:

later that night was the same routine as other people: call up family + friends, chilled, partied, etc.

you got drunk off of one beer??

My roommate and I started jumping around our living room like 3 year olds, and 2 days later, at least 20 times a day, I think, "I'm gonna be a doctor!!!!!!!!" I want to go buy a stethoscope now!! :D

I was at a party held in my friends' suite and was chatting with a friend over a Smirnoff Ice when someone said my cellphone was ringing in my purse. I went over and saw "2 missed calls". The first was an unknown private number and the second was my roommate. There were also 2 new voice messages, so I listened to those. I stepped out of the suite into the hallway and heard a guy with a Texan accent (Vice-President of the med school) say my name, telling me that he'd received a fax to write my acceptance letter but since it wouldn't arrive till next week he thought he'd call me to let me know that I'd gotten in and that they wanted me to go to their school! I started jumping up and down and yelling in the hallway. I then called my parents and they were so excited that night that they couldn't sleep.

The second voicemail was from my roommate who had been at home and had received the call from him before she directed him to my cell phone. She then waited a minute after he hung up before excitedly calling me and making sure that I'd gotten the news.

My friend saw me standing in the hallway and I told him that I'd gotten into med school. He then pulled me back into the suite and announced it to everyone at the party. Everyone cheered and congratulated me. Since I was already at a party, it became a celebratory one of sorts for me that night. What made the news even sweeter was that I'd gotten waitlisted at another school that morning and had been bummed out all day. I was totally not expecting to get good news that day. Especially not at 9.30pm at night. :p

called my partner, my family .... then stayed up the whole ENTIRE night to let it sink in ! :)

I must have missed this thread when I got in last year...but here is what I did:

Was feeling pretty crappy, my oncologist had just told me a day or two prior that I was radiation resistant and that "remission" was probably not going to be in my future...immediate or otherwise. So I check my e-mail at about 6 pm, not expecting anything and got the acceptance...ran outside in the middle of January, in the freezing cold and snow and ice, in my bathrobe and slippers, jumped up and down while screaming at my then fiance, now husband "I got in! I got in!" Then I called my mom at work who put me on speakerphone and everyone in her office started yelling and clapping and my mom started crying...then I called my dad and he started crying...then I went out to dinner with the hubby and got pleasantly snockered!!!