When's a convenient time to get married if we're 2 years apart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stewardess3900

Reaction score
Hi! I'm with someone who's two years ahead of me, and it seems like any time that would be best for me would be difficult for him and vice versa. I know everyone says there's no perfect time, but what would be a time during medical school/residency that's convenient or at the very least not totally hell for both of us? I also was thinking that it'd be best once he matches so he's at least making (some) money and we're not both students depending on our parents, and we'd know where he'll be residency-wise. Is that a concern or am I overthinking it?

Members don't see this ad.

There are various considerations that you might think about. For one, timing is huge because of your varying schedules. It can be difficult to take time off once you're on rotations. You could probably get away with a few days but if you want the full wedding + honeymoon afterwards for a week or two, it's probably ideal at the end of your 2nd year and the end of his 4th year. There's time built in at the end of those years (as long as you're on a 2-year pre-clinical curriculum). A couple weeks there wouldn't make a huge impact. The other consideration is money. You don't have any income now (I'm assuming) and neither does he. During residency you won't have much but at least there will be some money.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! I'm with someone who's two years ahead of me, and it seems like any time that would be best for me would be difficult for him and vice versa. I know everyone says there's no perfect time, but what would be a time during medical school/residency that's convenient or at the very least not totally hell for both of us? I also was thinking that it'd be best once he matches so he's at least making (some) money and we're not both students depending on our parents, and we'd know where he'll be residency-wise. Is that a concern or am I overthinking it?

4th year after match. For either of you. You’ll be studying for your step 1.....?

There’s a lot that can change too.
Last thing, there is no prefect timing for marriage, for kids, for move....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4th year after match. For either of you. You’ll be studying for your step 1.....?

There’s a lot that can change too.
Last thing, there is no prefect timing for marriage, for kids, for move....
Thank you for your help! Yes, I thought that would be a good time for him, but I’ve also seen online that between M2 and M3 isn’t a good time because of Step 1. I also want to be involved in the wedding planning and I can’t see how I’d be able to do both. I don’t know if after match for me would be good either because he’ll be busy in residency I’m assuming.

Reactions: 1 user
There are various considerations that you might think about. For one, timing is huge because of your varying schedules. It can be difficult to take time off once you're on rotations. You could probably get away with a few days but if you want the full wedding + honeymoon afterwards for a week or two, it's probably ideal at the end of your 2nd year and the end of his 4th year. There's time built in at the end of those years (as long as you're on a 2-year pre-clinical curriculum). A couple weeks there wouldn't make a huge impact. The other consideration is money. You don't have any income now (I'm assuming) and neither does he. During residency you won't have much but at least there will be some money.
Thank you for responding! I’m not too concerned about the honeymoon but more so about the wedding planning before. I know it’d be ideal for him after match but I’d be studying for Step 1 then and I want to be involved in the planning so I don’t know if that’s the right time either. Do people often have time between Step 1 and M3 to squeeze in a wedding? Or alternatively would spring break be a good time? Either during M2 or M3.

You’re right about the income, that’s why I don’t want to get married while both of us are still in school and not making any money.

Thank you for your help! Yes, I thought that would be a good time for him, but I’ve also seen online that between M2 and M3 isn’t a good time because of Step 1. I also want to be involved in the wedding planning and I can’t see how I’d be able to do both. I don’t know if after match for me would be good either because he’ll be busy in residency I’m assuming.

Depends on what he’s planning on doing. Pgy2 IM, maybe planning for fellowship, but can be almost at the end of application cycle. Pgy2 surgery can still be doing pretty tough calls. Pgy2, anesthesia, which is end of ca1 year can be planning to take their basic exams. Or one of you suck it up and decide what’s more important. Whose career you’re welling to chip away a bit.

There may not be a prefect time for a dream wedding. Part of sacrifice, whether you like it or not.

Sorry to be the bad news bearer. And there is still plenty of time for things to work/not work out. Medical school does strange things to people.

Thank you for responding! I’m not too concerned about the honeymoon but more so about the wedding planning before. I know it’d be ideal for him after match but I’d be studying for Step 1 then and I want to be involved in the planning so I don’t know if that’s the right time either. Do people often have time between Step 1 and M3 to squeeze in a wedding? Or alternatively would spring break be a good time? Either during M2 or M3.
Wedding planning is definitely tough. I'm not sure what year you're in but possibly Step 1 will be P/F by that time? Either case, you should think about the alternative cases. Like if you want to be married when you're still in med school, then the only alternative is to do it during your 4th year when you'll be on more electives and have more time. Post-match for you might be an option since he will then be a PGY-2 (I'm assuming). PGY-2 year is very difficult for surgical specialties because that's consult year for many programs.

Re: spring break, I don't know about your school specifically but many schools don't have spring break during the clinical years. You only get so much time off and most schools have a short summer break (a week or two) and Christmas break (a week or two depending on how long the other break is). I know someone who tried planning a wedding during rotations and if you think that planning a wedding now is hard, try thinking about doing it then. Pre-clinical time for you is honestly the best time because you'll have the most free time.

We were also worried worried about finances and the planning effort. We had no money. But we wanted to get married and not wait years, so we got married summer after M1 since it’s easier to take a couple weeks off, and had a small wedding. About 20-30 people, family did most of the catering/setup (sister cooked/baked, my brother did decorations, other brother did photos, etc). We planned everything in three months and didn’t feel overly stressed during that time. We walked into the wedding excited and feeling very relaxed. By keeping it simple we were able to focus on what was most important to us. We still look fondly back at the day and wouldn’t have changed anything about it.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m married with two kids. If you wait until the timing is perfect, you’ll never get a chance to do it. There is no perfect timing. Getting married is not like having kids. It doesn’t suddenly eat up all of your time. You just get better tax benefits.

Reactions: 3 users
If you’re willing to go wherever he is, and potentially give up better prospects for yourself, just go ahead and get married.

I would personally advise you wait until after *you* match. I would make sure your future is set up the way you want it, and you know you’re going to be happy with yourself, your specialty, and your opportunities at your residency program, before possibly torpedoing your own prospects so you can live where someone else does (depending on where he matches). Always take care of yourself first - you’re the only person who is absolutely guaranteed to look out for you and stick with you for the rest of your life.

That’s not really a good way to approach marriage.
In theory, I agree. However, people can make themselves look like just about anything during the first few years of a relationship. It doesn’t mean that the person you (generic you) think you‘re marrying is the person he/she really is, or that that person will take your interests to heart, regardless of what he/she gives lip service to.

Where you go for residency is a big decision that can affect the rest of your career. Being on the other side of a failed marriage, I would rather, if I ever get married again, get married after I am secure in my own career and life. I took my ex-husband’s input when I chose between medical school acceptances, and ended up at my most expensive school with the highest cost of living, which really hurt when he bailed. Going where he wanted to live easily added an extra $100k+ to my debt burden that I did not have to have. I’m not putting myself in a position to get absolutely screwed by another person again, and I would advise others to also be careful based on my life experiences, but that’s just me.

Last edited:
In theory, I agree. However, people can make themselves look like just about anything during the first few years of a relationship. It doesn’t mean that the person you (generic you) think you‘re marrying is the person he/she really is, or that that person will take your interests to heart, regardless of what he/she gives lip service to.

Where you go for residency is a big decision that can affect the rest of your career. Being on the other side of a failed marriage, I would rather, if I ever get married again, get married after I am secure in my own career and life. I took my ex-husband’s input when I chose between medical school acceptances, and ended up at my most expensive school with the highest cost of living, which really hurt when he bailed. Going where he wanted to live easily added an extra $100k+ to my debt burden that I did not have to have. I’m not putting myself in a position to get absolutely screwed by another person again, and I would advise others to also be careful based on my life experiences, but that’s just me.

Part of marriage is compromise. But that is a two way street. If your partner is gaslighting you to do their way or being unwilling to compromise on their end, that’s a red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Op,

I didn’t explicitly say like @calivianya, but hinted around it in my replies to you.
Truths is somewhere between @calivianya and @Matthew9Thirtyfive

I’ve always given the advice, no ring on the finger, then it doesn’t mean anything. You don’t move for him, he shouldn’t move for you.

There’s a lot of uncertainties when you just start off medical school. Too many steps along the way that aren’t really within your control. Things/life happen when you’re in school, in residency and in practice. Have good plan b,c and d. Don’t be afraid to change it; changing doesn’t mean you’re a failure.

Good luck, happy new year.

I'm not a medical student yet (still applying), but I've been married for 5.5 years and my wife is currently working on her doctorate, so I hope my two cents will be helpful.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive is 100% correct in that compromise needs to be the way that both life partners approach a marriage, particularly if you are both professionals. I am shaping the schools that I apply to based on the ability of my wife to complete her doctorate, while my wife will be ready to move wherever I get sent to when I am active duty (the military has given me the HPSP scholarship). We've also planned this around the feasibility of either of us being moveable (i.e. having finished our education programs) at a given time. If you take a "100% me" attitude (or your fiancé does), then this is a massive red flag; someone who isn't willing to make any compromise on their future to make a life with you isn't someone that I would advise trusting long-term.

However, more to your original question, I would highly suggest that you make compromises on your perfect wedding. It sounds like you really want to do the full wedding planning thing with family, a bunch of guests, and all the fixings. That takes 1) a lot of money, and 2) a lot of time. I was incredibly lucky in that my wife (along with significant help from my mother and grandmother) did the vast majority of the planning for our wedding. Even though my wife was still finishing her undergraduate degree at the time (and therefore had quite a bit more free time than nowadays), it was still incredibly stressful for her, and this was when our wedding was very small, relatively non-traditional, and extremely cheap (still costing around $10,000). I would think that you will have a very hard time putting in the planning for your dream wedding at any stage of either you or your fiancé's career in the next 6-ish years.

If I were you (and assuming that you are making a thoughtful decision and not rushing into a marriage), I think the best way to go would be to get married sooner than later; continually putting off a wedding, particularly for many years, can potentially breed resentment and frustration. Instead, I would suggest either doing a smaller, more intimate wedding (potentially where family helps with most of the food, location, photography, etc.), or do a destination wedding so that far less planning is involved. Name changing (if either of you are thinking of doing so) is probably also going to be easier if you do it sooner rather than once you actually start practicing medicine and get established professionally.

No matter what you do, remember that as @Matthew9Thirtyfive also said, getting married isn't like having a child; people often asked my wife and I about it (since we were quite young at the time), but the thing they didn't realize is that the only thing that changed is that we gained a lifelong partner that we knew we could count on (plus all the legal benefits). Don't let your careers discourage you from getting married. People like to make jokes about marriage, but marrying my wife was unquestioningly the single best thing that happened to me in my 20's (I was 24 when we married) and, without her support and our ability to work together on emotional support, finances, or logistics, I wouldn't have been able to join the military, become a paramedic, or apply to medical school, all things that are incredibly important to me and have changed my life for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
They shouldn’t exist as far as I’m concerned. Government has no business being in the marriage business or giving out tax breaks to married people. But fair enough. I think I’ll game the system and “marry” my best platonic friend.

Whatever floats your boat. Whether you agree with them or not, the benefits are there. Our first tax return as a married couple was 5 figures.

• Wow
Highly recommend the courthouse route. Quick, easy, and cheap. Save the wedding $$$$$ for student loans and vacations.

Idk how your school does it but our school gave us ~2ish weeks off between when our step deadline was and when we started 3rd year so if you could plan taking step a bit earlier then that may give you guys two or three weeks where you can plan a honeymoon!

Whatever floats your boat. Whether you agree with them or not, the benefits are there. Our first tax return as a married couple was 5 figures.
That is completely amazing. I usually owed and he usually got some back when we filed separately... so we were lucky to get ~$1000 back total when we started filing jointly. I think I might actually faint if I ever get a five figure tax return.

It's not even just taxes.

Everything from financial aid to medical/property rights to beneficiary/relative/dependent support from the DoD or civilian companies (e.g. benefits, moving expenses, etc.) all rely on being married and won't give anything to you if you aren't legally married.

Not only this, but despite what many people insist on saying, being willing to legally bind yourself to someone else does show a level of commitment beyond emotional attachment. This is important to many people.

That is completely amazing. I usually owed and he usually got some back when we filed separately... so we were lucky to get ~$1000 back total when we started filing jointly. I think I might actually faint if I ever get a five figure tax return.

I'm going to guess it's because him and his spouse were students?

My wife and I get a very comfortable tax return every year when we're both full-time students, which dropped off a cliff for one tax return when I was not.

Oh sorry. It was like 6 or 7k when we got married. It went up to 5 figures when we had our first kid. My bad.

Now she has her own business and we usually owe.

As other said, marriage isn't like having kids. If you have parental support/a way to pay for the wedding, just find a time when you guys both have at least a week off and plan the date then. You will have time to wedding plan. Wedding planning really isn't as time consuming as its cracked up to be...

You can have a wonderful wedding with all the planning (don't need to go courthouse unless you want to) as a medical student. Whether it's M1, M2, M3, or M4. I'd say the WORST time for me was during step 1 study time (Jan of M2 until Step 1) so I'd avoid this time. But work load during M3 has been fine.

We're having trouble figuring out when to have kids now, I'm ready to just stop taking birth control and say YOLO because there really truly is NO perfect time. After trying to plan kids timing, wedding planning seems like a dream.