Step I When's the best time to start QBank?

Started by ND8102
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ND8102

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am near the end of my MS1 with less than a month to go. I've heard that some people in my class have already started UWorld. But I've also heard not to waste those questions. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea for me to start Kaplan QBank around now and then start UWorld a few months before my step 1? When do people usually start UWorld?
 
So I can (somewhat) relate to what you're currently experiencing. My school only gives like 3 weeks off in between 2nd and 3rd year for us to take our test, which unfortunately means we don't really have a "dedicated" period of study time. I know some individuals in my class started using uworld back in December or January, but for me I only personally started using it a month and a half ago.

It really depends on your study style; for me, I felt like I really needed to get a good grasp on the material before I even considered doing questions about things I've never seen, so in that respect I'm glad I waited, and I believe that reflects well in my actual percentage on the qbank. Now, that doesn't mean I'm doing it the "right way" or anything like that, everyone learns differently. I can see the benefit of doing the qbank early and maximizing your chance of retaining all of that knowledge vs starting/finishing closer to the test and risk some info slipping out of your brain.

Again, I don't really believe there is a right way. But for me, using a different qbank along with classes during the year (in subject) and saving uworld (timed random) for "dedicated" or the last few months before your test has been a good strategy for me.
 
Don't buy UW now; it's a waste of money and a waste of a good resource to do it now. Wait at least until Dec-Jan of M2 or even later. I bought Kaplan at the beginning of M2 and did it alongside my classes plus a little review of M1 topics. I would recommend that.