Where am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my prospects in Anesthesia with a score of 83 in Step 1.Should I apply for externship and research.

Actually I am confused regarding my score.Thanxxxx a lot for the reply in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

qwerty2000 said:
What are my prospects in Anesthesia with a score of 83 in Step 1.Should I apply for externship and research.

Actually I am confused regarding my score.Thanxxxx a lot for the reply in advance.

With a score of 83 in Step 1, you should reapply to medical school.

With a score of 183, you haven't helped your cause, but you should still apply and try to nail Step 2 (>220). Doing that will help your cause tremendously. If you can do an externship, it would behoove you to do it immediately (i.e. before January). First hand exposure and an opportunity to observe your work habits and skills count a lot toward a program's decision to rank you or not.

UTSouthwestern said:
With a score of 83 in Step 1, you should reapply to medical school.

With a score of 183, you haven't helped your cause, but you should still apply and try to nail Step 2 (>220). Doing that will help your cause tremendously. If you can do an externship, it would behoove you to do it immediately (i.e. before January). First hand exposure and an opportunity to observe your work habits and skills count a lot toward a program's decision to rank you or not.

Lile many program directors prefer (I'm finding out), I'm quite sure the OP is referring to his 2-digit Step 1 score, which I believe is somewhere around a 200-205 on the 3-digit scale.

Members don't see this ad :)
qwerty2000 said:

What was the 3 digit score? I am assuming that 83 was the 2-digit conversion of your 3-digit score. Look in the FAQ section after that, and you will see a small post with something along the lines of 215=some interviews, 225=more interviews, 230=interview anywhere. I believe the sandards may have changed, and the scale may need to be adjusted about points higher.

Also, listen to UTSouthwestern. He is near the academic world of anesthesia, and I think he may have served on an admission committee by the sound of some of his posts.

Thanx for your replies.
I meant 83 on 2 digit and 205 on three digit on Step 1.Please dont say anything about step 2Ck because I have already given it and scored 76 on2 digit and 186 on three digit.Both of these I passed on first attempt.I am still a medical student.I was a disaster on step2.I will not relaese my scores for the residency interviews.

Yes I am applying for exchange clerkships in anesthesiology.
Should i go for step3 or do research in gas if I have to opt for one before my residency interviews.Anything else I can do to improve my scores.I know I sound desperate but thats what I am.

qwerty2000 said:
Thanx for your replies.
I meant 83 on 2 digit and 205 on three digit on Step 1.Please dont say anything about step 2Ck because I have already given it and scored 76 on2 digit and 186 on three digit.Both of these I passed on first attempt.I am still a medical student.I was a disaster on step2.I will not relaese my scores for the residency interviews.

Yes I am applying for exchange clerkships in anesthesiology.
Should i go for step3 or do research in gas if I have to opt for one before my residency interviews.Anything else I can do to improve my scores.I know I sound desperate but thats what I am.

Step 3 will not do you any good. Most programs do not consider that score even if it is from someone completing another residency. It is essentially a throwaway score. You are right not to release the Step 2 score.

If you have time to do research, it certainly doesn't hurt, but since you should be hitting the interview season right now, it will be very time pressing to do so at this point of the year. If you have a connection with an anesthesiologist at your program, ask them to personally contact the programs you are interested in to put in a good word for you. I can tell you that it does help for those whose scores may put them on the borderline.

You should also have a contingency plan ready to go, i.e. prelim/transitional year. Excel in all of your rotations as a fourth year. Contact programs to do away rotations even after the match (March through June) because you can use that as an audition if you have to reapply next year.

Otherwise, I would recommend you apply widely and try to get as much faculty support as possible.

You sound like an FMG. If you are, then you will be required to release your Step 2.

If you don't have the skills to do a simple search to find the threads asking precisely the same question in recent weeks, I wouldn't want you at my program.

Honestly people, look before you leap, or at least add an interesting twist to your question...it's getting a bit stale. You have provided virtually zero information about yourself besides your Step 1 score, which, quite frankly, sucks. But the good news is, that is only a small part of the decision making process. What are we supposed to tell you knowing nothing else about your app?

FYI, take clerkships at the places you want to go, get strong letters, improve your score on Step 2, and apply boradly. You will match somewhere, probably not MGH or Hopkins. It will go smoothly if you are a US allo from a top 50, slightly tougher if non top 50 allo, a little more tough if you are osteopathic but certainly not impossible, and much more challeging if you are IMG. Now go get 'em!

Yes I am an FMG.Now, time is not a problem.I have 5 years visa at hand.I can do research as i know people in research in U.S.Now, tell me in one lina what are my chances to get into gas resideny with

83/76/research experience/electives in anes. at harvard/

I could do research for one or two years if required.

And please those of you who think I am asking the same question again and again,It is my entire life that I am talking about.I am putting everything on the line.So be very very sure of what u advise me coz if it impossible to go into anes. I can think of some other speciality where these scores r accepted
Do u know of other specialities which accept these scores.? :confused:

You can/ should apply to two fields - perhaps anesth & IM. If you dont match, you'll for sure match IM somewhere. 3 years later, you, like many other people who completed IM, can reapply into anesthesiology. Theres a lot of people in anesth that were orriginally in IM. Anyway, at that point its really no different than doing a 3 year fellowship in IM and you dont have to scramble into an IM program you nothing about if you dont match anesth. Also 3 years IM sounds a lot better than 2 years of research to me personally. Just my oppinion, good luck.