Where are Caribbean Medical Degrees recognized?

Started by Augustus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Augustus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just out of curiosity...

Which countries recognize a Caribbean Medical Degree? (lets just stick to the "Big 4" for this question)

I know that if you graduate from the any of the Big 4 you can practice in any of the 50 states in the US but where else?
 
To practice in India, you need to pass the Screening Exam held by the Medical Council of India. After that, you get registered and are required to write MBBS with your name.
 
Just out of curiosity...

Which countries recognize a Caribbean Medical Degree? (lets just stick to the "Big 4" for this question)

I know that if you graduate from the any of the Big 4 you can practice in any of the 50 states in the US but where else?

My understanding is that it'll be recognized just about anywhere but you'll need to jump through what ever hoops the particular country has set in place in order to become licensed there.

I've read discussions here where people were comparing DO to Caribbean MD and they are using lists like the one posted on the SGU website that tell where their graduates have gone and become licensed physicians. that list is here:

http://www.sgu.edu/about-sgu/accreditations-and-approvals.html

Anyhow, in the discussions I've seen, usually, the SGU list is compared to the list of countries that recognize the American DO degree. typically, the assumption is that DOs and Caribbean MDs are recognized in approximately the same number of countries. However, that list--the DO list--also includes which countries flat out won't accept your DO. The SGU site does not tell you which countries flat out don't recognize their degree--that would be bad marketing! but as far as I know--and I'm a student at one of the big 3 Caribbean schools--there is no list of countries that will not recognize your big 3-4 school Caribbean MD--like the one that exists for DOs.

I'd venture to say that who ever recognizes a US MD will recognize an MD from AUC, SGU, ROSS, or SABA and consequently, if you want to practice medicine there, you'll need to meet the same requirements as an AMG.
 
Last edited: