Where are they now thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"a duck lipped beach "girl"
LOL. never heard that term but very appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I went over it with someone and they filled me in. Not even close to scot free. But, to me, he's a scumbag and is receiving his just desserts.

Apparently the events I referenced (Exotic car rentals & dumping his wife for a duck lipped beach "girl") all happened a year or two ago.
I wonder if Wife Mk. 2 stuck around after the money got flushed.

I don't really know why I worry. I'm pretty much bullet proof at my current job. lol.
I've had lunch with one of the mods on several occasions.

So you are saying he is under indictment or not? should be. There were many pharmacy students that admired and looked up to him in hopes of someday owning and independent store and being as successful. All of those pharmacies should lose it all in my opinion. Don't know how they slept at night.

So you are saying he is under indictment or not? should be. There were many pharmacy students that admired and looked up to him in hopes of someday owning and independent store and being as successful. All of those pharmacies should lose it all in my opinion. Don't know how they slept at night.

The one that always got me was the chemo pharmacist who sent out diluted product. Like...how? I just can't wrap my head around it. Giving out kickbacks is bad, sure, but shorting people their chemo? I don't know how you can be participating in that and think it is ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
The one that always got me was the chemo pharmacist who sent out diluted product. Like...how? I just can't wrap my head around it. Giving out kickbacks is bad, sure, but shorting people their chemo? I don't know how you can be participating in that and think it is ok.
I remember that. Just awful! My heart breaks for those cancer patients.

Reactions: 1 users
"I remember that. Just awful! My heart breaks for those cancer patients."

Agree. Never enough money for some people. To some it doesn't matter how you get it. Sad

How do you know who all of these people are? I thought the forum was anonymous.

A lot of us PM behind the scenes and get to know each other, and eventually add each other via FB and/or meet IRL.

I've met a lot of you doxed folks, you just don't know it. I keep a low profile although someone did make me nervous at ASHP mentioning something I posted word for word. Probably fishing for information.

My favorite doxing of someone on here was @bacillus1 .... I only knew his school (near where I interned) and he casually mentioned (if I remember this story right) that he had to give a clinical presentation for his PGY-1 resident interview later that day. Well... I walked into work and lo and behold there are like 3 people in a conference room and their names/schools/topics are on the door. Seeing that 2 of them were girls, and I knew he was male, I got his name from that.

I kept it low key and just PM'd him and called him by his real name, that probably freaked him out enough. hahaha

Reactions: 5 users

Dunno.

Hope he is.

I knew there was a poster (JAFX) who abandoned his disabled child and bragged about it (although he didn't see it that way) but didn't know there was one who dumped his pregnant wife.

I also thought SDN1977 was banned.

It wasn't a one time session. It was a week of snowboarding and smoking pot. I'm actually considering saving up some cash, getting a partner and opening a dispensary in Massachusetts since it just went recreational legal there. I know a physician who closed his internal medicine practice, moved out to Denver, opened a chain of dispensaries and is a multi-millionaire now.

why would you want to work way out in the boonies on long island?

That is a fair point but I wouldn't act like you are all surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Well, if there's one thing I learnt from Trump, it's that people won't even listen to you until you add some drama. Although in this case, it seems there was already more than enough drama...

That has to be pretty creepy. Was it something that you said in a presentation or something you casually me mentioned while talking to a group of friends ?

I made a comment about going to residency booths and wasting their time on the forum and someone brought it up to me. Something like "somebody on the student doctor forum said they like to waste residency booth's times, man did you hear about that?". I didn't know if she was trying to tell me something or genuinely curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN1977 got in a pissing match with the founder of SDN. She was posting over in the medical residency forums because she had a kid go through medical school. Basically they told her to stop and she argued and lost.

Oh. Pharmacists can only post in the pharmacy forums?
No, you can post where ever. You just have to be respectful. The issue was that she ignored the requests from the founder; not that she posted elsewhere.

No, you can post where ever. You just have to be respectful. The issue was that she ignored the requests from the founder; not that she posted elsewhere.

what kind of requests?

I forget his screen name, but I miss that dude who went to Florida and wound up at Anderson Cancer Center in Texas...we had lots of good banter back in the day. ZPak comes and goes. A true board legend. Spiriva got married finally, thank god. But instead of just not whining about not being able to find a man, she just up and left completely.

I'm really the only constant on here other than BMB since the place got started, I think.

We need a big ass reunion.

Was that Priapism or Praziquantel?

I guess it's been 12 years since I followed SlaveRph here... seems longer.

I should drop her a line.. She's a good woman.

I think I came on board as she was leaving, but I remember her posts guiding me through my early pre-pharm days while I got my life together post-finance.

Why would you do such a shady thing? You know your pharmacist license is worth at least $4 million right? When you are caught, you would have to disclose it when you renew your pharmacist license and the board of pharmacy will then suspend/void your license. Look at this fool who got his licensure voided because he was counterfeiting some clothes View attachment 213575

What's the shady thing? Boss making my payments for me instead of paying me the money? He say's it's better for him because he can claim it as a business expense as well as less taxes for me. Say it was my mom making my car and insurance payments, would that be considered income that I have to report?

Or smoking weed in a legal state?

That being said, I am looking into opening a marijuana dispensary in Massachusetts since they just legalized it.

Last edited:
What's the shady thing? Boss making my payments for me instead of paying me the money? He say's it's better for him because he can claim it as a business expense as well as less taxes for me. Say it was my mom making my car and insurance payments, would that be considered income that I have to report?

When he does this, the benefit is 100% for your boss. You are the fool accepting the arrangement because now your income is lower per IRS, your boss avoids half of social security payment payable to you by not reporting it as wages. He gets 100% deduction on payable wage to employee hidden as business expenses. Your contribution to your own social security benefit will be lower for your working life.

When he does this, the benefit is 100% for your boss. You are the fool accepting the arrangement because now your income is lower per IRS, your boss avoids half of social security payment payable to you by not reporting it as wages. He gets 100% deduction on payable wage to employee hidden as business expenses. Your contribution to your own social security benefit will be lower for your working life.

The issue is that my take home under the current arrangement is $2400 every 2 weeks. If I didn't use this arrangement, my take home would be $2600 every 2 weeks. However, my boss pays about $2400 a month in various payments (car, health insurance, car insurance, gym membership, loan repayment, credit car repayments). No way that I could afford to make those payments otherwise.

My plan is to just do this until I can get these payments done with and then find a union hospital job to work part-time, while owning my own store or owning a marijuana dispensary.

The issue is that my take home under the current arrangement is $2400 every 2 weeks. If I didn't use this arrangement, my take home would be $2600 every 2 weeks. However, my boss pays about $2400 a month in various payments (car, health insurance, car insurance, gym membership, loan repayment, credit car repayments). No way that I could afford to make those payments otherwise.

My plan is to just do this until I can get these payments done with and then find a union hospital job to work part-time, while owning my own store or owning a marijuana dispensary.
lol that just means you're living beyond your means. Get on a budget and pay off your debts the proper way.

Oh, I didn't know that. So what about when employer uses pre-tax money to pay out benefits premium and put away money for retirement? Is that a scam, too, so they can pay less social security? I thought social security taxes are payed by the employee and taken out of paycheck.
Yes, when employer doesn't report it as employee wage they practically do NOT have to pay their required matching portion of 6.2% social securities contribution + 1.45% of Medicare taxes (FICA payroll taxes).

What you described is not a scheme because your total wage reported for IRS is not affected (it means you are still contributing to your own social security fund 6.2%+6.2% employer part). Although, if the benefits provided is really good, employer can justify paying you slightly lower. But, what Sparda employer does is a scheme, hiding wages under a different category to avoid paying payroll taxes to his own benefit.

Yes, when employer doesn't report it as employee wage they practically do NOT have to pay their required matching portion of 6.2% social securities contribution + 1.45% of Medicare taxes (FICA payroll taxes).

What you described is not a scheme because your total wage reported for IRS is not affected (it means you are still contributing to your own social security fund 6.2%+6.2% employer part). Although, if the benefits provided is really good, employer can justify paying you slightly lower. But, what Sparda employer does is a scheme, hiding wages under a different category to avoid paying payroll taxes to his own benefit.

No to worry Dr. M (assuming he is guilty of anything) may be looking for a cellmate.

That being said, I am looking into opening a marijuana dispensary in Massachusetts since they just legalized it.

In addition to not paying income tax, you and him are not paying social security and Medicare tax. That is an additional 12% tax you two are not paying.

If your boss is shady, he will get caught. When he does, they will dig into his book and this may lead to you.

How in the world did you ever get into this sort of arrangement? It's so strange.

How in the world did you ever get into this sort of arrangement? It's so strange.

I would NEVER had told anybody about this arrangement nor would I have ever posted it anywhere ever.

In addition to not paying income tax, you and him are not paying social security and Medicare tax. That is an additional 12% tax you two are not paying.

If your boss is shady, he will get caught. When he does, they will dig into his book and this may lead to you.

LOL.

SDN should just install a banner under BMBiology's username that scrolls, "everything I say is trash"

There are absolutely legal ways to do what Sparda is describing.
His situation might not be, I don't know if he has an LLC or what.

But, the amount of conjecture is hilarious.
It's no wonder that pharmacists have the reputation for making up laws on the spot.

LOL.

SDN should just install a banner under BMBiology's username that scrolls, "everything I say is trash"

It's no wonder that pharmacists have the reputation for making up laws on the spot.
Seriously, the things Sparda lists seem like normal job perks. "Here, you get a company car, which we pay insurance on, a free gym membership to the local gym, and a department credit card with $xx limit. Also, we pay for health insurance."

Seriously, the things Sparda lists seem like normal job perks. "Here, you get a company car, which we pay insurance on, a free gym membership to the local gym, and a department credit card with $xx limit. Also, we pay for health insurance."

Perhaps you are correct but with the oversupply of pharmacists out there I am surprised that the these things would be given to a retail pharmacist. But you may be correct. Just seems odd in the current job market. I would think the owner would get a bunch of applications and many independents , at least the ones I know, tend to low ball salaries and benefits because they can. Years ago maybe, but it may be a special situation for this owner and he is happy with his performance.

Honestly, who cares? Social security isn't going to be around by the time I retire. Any chance I get to not contribute to social security I take it.

In regards to sparda's situation:

The only concerns I would have are the student loan payments and credit card payments... these are not deductible to the company and count as compensation that need to be reported on a W-2. Gym membership too, but I don't know if anyone is going to bark up that tree.

Yes, your officially reported income to SSA would be low/minimal thus affecting eventual SSA benefits a) 35+ years down the line and b) assuming it even exists are that point...but that's easily remedied (just save more money, or work more later... SSA takes the top 35 years of income into consideration). Also, any workman's comp claims wouldn't be adjudicated, unemployment claims would not be valid--so a certain amount of trust needs to exist between employer and "employee."

The issue is if the employer's books are not above board and invites an on-site audit, an astute auditor may (or may not) find all these "fringe" payments being paid out to no one in particular...an employee that doesn't exist. At best, the deductions are disallowed and the employer has to pay back taxes on it...at worst, they find that an employee was improperly paid and payroll taxes never withheld, and they find reason to hunt down sparda as well.

Likelihood of this happening? Nil. C-corps w/ <$10M assets are audited at a rate of 1%, majority of those are phone/mail audits.

So between Accountable Plans, legitimate fringe benefits, a little fudging of the books, willing participants, and a lack of meaningful enforcement...sparda's arrangement can go on for a long time. :highfive:

In regards to sparda's situation:

The only concerns I would have are the student loan payments and credit card payments... these are not deductible to the company and count as compensation that need to be reported on a W-2. Gym membership too, but I don't know if anyone is going to bark up that tree.

Yes, your officially reported income to SSA would be low/minimal thus affecting eventual SSA benefits a) 35+ years down the line and b) assuming it even exists are that point...but that's easily remedied (just save more money, or work more later... SSA takes the top 35 years of income into consideration). Also, any workman's comp claims wouldn't be adjudicated, unemployment claims would not be valid--so a certain amount of trust needs to exist between employer and "employee."

The issue is if the employer's books are not above board and invites an on-site audit, an astute auditor may (or may not) find all these "fringe" payments being paid out to no one in particular...an employee that doesn't exist. At best, the deductions are disallowed and the employer has to pay back taxes on it...at worst, they find that an employee was improperly paid and payroll taxes never withheld, and they find reason to hunt down sparda as well.

Likelihood of this happening? Nil. C-corps w/ <$10M assets are audited at a rate of 1%, majority of those are phone/mail audits.

So between Accountable Plans, legitimate fringe benefits, a little fudging of the books, willing participants, and a lack of meaningful enforcement...sparda's arrangement can go on for a long time. :highfive:

It's a little bit more complicated if Sparda's not a W2 employee, in fact, many contractors (and academicians, you wonder how we can afford conference travel and secretaries) ask for these sorts of things in fringe benefits. If Sparda is a W2 employee, it's a bit harder because in particular, if the benefit that Sparda gets is not offered to any other employee, it's considered backdoor compensation. Now, if everyone does get offered the deal and only Sparda takes the employer on it (or is like the sole employee of the pharmacist class), then no, it can be a pretty straightforward business side expense.

Now, I do think confettiflyer is right that the company isn't exactly doing this on the up and up, but the likelihood that it is caught is low UNLESS sparda flags the IRS through Patriot Act sized payments tracking (if you are stupid enough to accumulate the ~$10k payment flags or banking with some tax haven place, you deserve what you get).

Also, know that the IRS out of Austin DO NOT have the real manpower at present to audit beyond standard issues. So, it's doubtful even if wrong, you're caught. And it would really be the business rather than sparda that would have to justify that the compensation agreement is hidden income in either circumstance as the payments are against the business rather than Sparda.

Sparda, I also think Momus is right about the SS payments, but since none of us rationally think we're going to be picking up SS in 30 years anyway, you might be the real winner in terms of not being suckered into paying into a system that isn't going to be there for you anyway unless you get into a weed-related skiing accident and need the disability benefits.

And about the weed habit, so long as you don't get caught, even we would not necessary have any moral judgment unless you're impaired on duty (I have the same attitude toward alcohol use). However, if you're caught, you'll just have to serve a lifetime sentence in the impaired pharmacist program which you might end up saying screw this, why bother anyway when the profession melts down.

I wish I had sparda's courage to really live it up. It's on the edge of course, but the payoffs are really different than being a square like me and this profession in general.

Last edited:
The employer proposed this idea because I went to him and stated: I need "x" amount as my take home pay per month, can you increase my pay rate so that I can take that much home. He said he could make some of my payments. I ask can you give me a check for cash and I'll make those payments, he says no we'll make those payments from the company debit card. Those payments are calculated out and deducted from pre-tax earnings. This figure after the deduction for payments is submitted by the accountant, and the proper amount of taxes, SSA, medicare, etc is removed based on that amount.

Now since that amount is reduced, I qualify under a lower tax bracket and a lower tax rate.

It's a little bit more complicated if Sparda's not a W2 employee, in fact, many contractors (and academicians, you wonder how we can afford conference travel and secretaries) ask for these sorts of things in fringe benefits. If Sparda is a W2 employee, it's a bit harder because in particular, if the benefit that Sparda gets is not offered to any other employee, it's considered backdoor compensation. Now, if everyone does get offered the deal and only Sparda takes the employer on it (or is like the sole employee of the pharmacist class), then no, it can be a pretty straightforward business side expense.

Now, I do think confettiflyer is right that the company isn't exactly doing this on the up and up, but the likelihood that it is caught is low UNLESS sparda flags the IRS through Patriot Act sized payments tracking (if you are stupid enough to accumulate the ~$10k payment flags or banking with some tax haven place, you deserve what you get).

Also, know that the IRS out of Austin DO NOT have the real manpower at present to audit beyond standard issues. So, it's doubtful even if wrong, you're caught. And it would really be the business rather than sparda that would have to justify that the compensation agreement is hidden income in either circumstance as the payments are against the business rather than Sparda.

Sparda, I also think Momus is right about the SS payments, but since none of us rationally think we're going to be picking up SS in 30 years anyway, you might be the real winner in terms of not being suckered into paying into a system that isn't going to be there for you anyway unless you get into a weed-related skiing accident and need the disability benefits.

And about the weed habit, so long as you don't get caught, even we would not necessary have any moral judgment unless you're impaired on duty (I have the same attitude toward alcohol use). However, if you're caught, you'll just have to serve a lifetime sentence in the impaired pharmacist program which you might end up saying screw this, why bother anyway when the profession melts down.

I wish I had sparda's courage to really live it up. It's on the edge of course, but the payoffs are really different than being a square like me and this profession in general.

I would never use any intoxicant on duty or any time where it could still affect me by the next shift and if it happens to do so, I'll call out sick.

Would you get in trouble if you smoked it in a state where it's legal as long as you don't work impaired? Like if your employer does surprise drug test?
Maybe not in his case since it's an independent, but most of us would still be subject to termination. Even if you are in a medical state.

LOL.

I am sure the guy who can't get license because he manufactured and sold counterfeit clothes said the same thing. All it takes is one bitter ex-employee and everything will come down like a house of cards.

I am sure the guy who can't get license because he manufactured and sold counterfeit clothes said the same thing. All it takes is one bitter ex-employee and everything will come down like a house of cards.

Repeat after me:

"I don't know everything.
I jam my dumb, knee jerk opinions into every thread, but I'm working on fixing it"

Would you get in trouble if you smoked it in a state where it's legal as long as you don't work impaired? Like if your employer does surprise drug test?

This is an open legal question right now. Under federal labor law, you can be still terminated for cause as MJ is still a Schedule I for them (this is the justification for staying pothead free in the civil service). In practice, it has everything to do with the employer's reasoning. For the VA, it's been fairly straightforward that if you get caught and not a veteran, you're toast. If you are a veteran (like most things in the VA), it more or less gets buried but it probably means reassignment from a clinical post. For the pharmacists 0660 series in the civil service, you do sign an additional drug testing thing that says that the feds can test you at any time even outside of work as part of your declaration for employment. Again, in practice, no one usually gets tested besides possibly their hiring, and people like me who are known straight-edge get tested monthly (because oversight and I know I'll never be positive unless I attend Summerfest) so that they can dispense with the headache.

See, the only way of actually checking to see if someone is intoxicated with that is a blood test. A piss test won't show you if they are intoxicated because it'll still show up positive up to 90 days after last use and possibly longer if you have more fat in your body.

I think there was a court ruling on this in Colorado where a satellite TV employee was a medical marijuana patient and was randomly tested and showed up positive. Court ruled even though he was a medical marijuana patient and that he was not high on duty, it is still an "at-will" employment state.

What it seems to me is that the "at-will" employment laws need to be eliminated and that you can only be fired for an actual malicious reason and not on the whim of your employer.

There was a Wal-Mart employee in Michigan who was using medical marijuana under prescription, because he had cancer, and he was terminated after testing positive. He sued under ADA and lost, under the grounds that marijuana is still illegal on the federal level. So yes, anyone using marijuana is risking their job and license, regardless if their marijuana use is legal under state law.

How do you know who all of these people are? I thought the forum was anonymous.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.........nothing is anonymous on the internet.

I've met a lot of you doxed folks, you just don't know it. I keep a low profile although someone did make me nervous at ASHP mentioning something I posted word for word. Probably fishing for information.

I don't think I know any SDN members in real life, but every time I meet a new pharmacist, I wonder if it's an SDN poster. Haha.

Reactions: 2 users
There was a Wal-Mart employee in Michigan who was using medical marijuana under prescription, because he had cancer, and he was terminated after testing positive. He sued under ADA and lost, under the grounds that marijuana is still illegal on the federal level. So yes, anyone using marijuana is risking their job and license, regardless if their marijuana use is legal under state law.
Look at Seantrel Henderson. Prescribed medical marijuana for Crohns, and the NFL suspends him. You think losing a pharmacist license would be some major lost income?