Where are you from?

Started by sammyiu
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sammyiu

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering where the majority of you that I see have regularly posted are from. The reason that I ask is that it seems like the majority of you have applied/interviewed/been accepted at schools that are predominantly on the west coast or east coast. I don't see much about schools like Ohio State or Indiana University. As someone that is starting her 4th year at Indiana in two weeks I was just curious why more of you weren't interested in going here.

Just curious!
 
i applied to 4 schools total...decided to apply to ICO instead of Indiana...seemed to have a better program (from what i heard and read) but may not be true. Also ICO is easier to get into, and I think Indiana's deadline was earlier or somethin.
 
I'm from the east coast, so I only applied to east coast schools.

I have family in Columbus, though, so I did check out Ohio State. They're supposed to have an excellent program, and I really liked the small class size. There's a SDNer from there who posts here occasionally (TPMOH, I think?) and likes it a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am from 20 miles south of Boston. I applied to NEWENCO, PCO, SUNY, ICO, and never submitted by application for OSU when I was accepted to NEWENCO.

I chose NEWENCO because of the location, I can save money by living at home and other expenses that develop when living away, as well as being close to my family.

I received interviews at PCO, SUNY, and ICO but cancelled them after my NEWENCO acceptance.
 
I also declined interviews at PCO and SUNY. After visiting Boston many times growing up I fell in love with New England especially boston. Many will argue that it is super expensive, but I believe it is a small price to pay to spend some time in such a great city. Plus being from Chicago I figured I better spend some time in Boston if I want to see both sides of the greatest World Series imaginable (Cubs vs Red Sox)
 
Ohio State and Indiana U. are VERY GOOD !

Im in Texas now but I chose to move to the east coast b/c I have family there, that was the deciding factor. ( and also, If I stayed in Texas, I'd have to live in Houston and .....living in Houston (esp. in the summer) is......uuuugh.....
T 😡 😡 H 😡 T !!
 
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Ohio's out of state tuition cost like $35,000 a year? pheewww...talking about inflation (!!) and that does not even include other expenses like room, books, and instruments. whoa!! that's a lot of money. but anyway, that's the number that i found at opted.org...it could be wrong...but hey, the number is around $35K for 2001, 2002, and 2003 profile...so i doubt it's a mistake on opted's part.
 
eyedream82 said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Ohio's out of state tuition cost like $35,000 a year? pheewww...talking about inflation (!!) and that does not even include other expenses like room, books, and instruments. whoa!! that's a lot of money. but anyway, that's the number that i found at opted.org...it could be wrong...but hey, the number is around $35K for 2001, 2002, and 2003 profile...so i doubt it's a mistake on opted's part.
It is expensive, but after the first year they let most students pay in-state-tuition, which is far less than out-of-state.
 
I go to OSU.

Great HUGE campus, although parking is horrible.
 
I'm from Columbus, OH, but I guess that's probably obvious by now.