Where can I find this movie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-bound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have heard you all speak of this film/documentary "Making of the MD" about Harvard medical students as they journey through their training. Unfortunately, I have had zero luck finding the movie. I have checked with the big chains--Blockbuster, Hollywood Video etc. but to no avail.

Can you guys let me know where I can find this video?

As always, thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't care much for it, but believe it was a PBS show - maybe another NOVA. If you can't get a copy from PBS, let me know - I believe I have one somewhere that I can send you.

And don't let your wife watch it for you - it isn't exactly a comforting message for the married students out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ppdka:
I believe the video you are looking for was prouced by Nova back in 1974.

1974 - is that right? I didn't think it was any older than say 10 years.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kimberlicox:
1974 - is that right? I didn't think it was any older than say 10 years.

That's what it says on Amazon... I'm not sure, I've never seen it. I just kinda seemed like a waste of money to order. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere without actually having to buy it...

If you are talking about the Nova special that is less than 10 years old, it is called "So you want to be a doctor". It was originally air on PBS in early 1993(or possibly late '92?). It follows the life of a few Harvard med students under the new problem based curriculum, called "The New Pathway". I remember some of their names: Tom Tarter, Jane Liebshutz (sp?), Cheryl Dorset, Elliott Bennett-Guerrero... Dammit! I remember the faces, but the other names elude me (sorry, it's been a few years)! I know there is a Jay/Jason Something the 3rd., one other guy, and another girl. It is narrated by Neil Patrick Harris, and is the 1st part of a 10yr project. It lasts 2 hours, and starts with the students sitting in a classroom on their first day of med school. It shows our hero's ups and downs in their personnal, as well academic lives, as they go through the grinder. It ends with graduation and the resident matching results and a note that a second episode is in the making.
Two of the students deferred for a year during their training. The guy who's name I can't remember goes on a research project w/ Johns-Hopkins in Indonesia (funny, they actually sent a camera crew there to interview him), and the other one stopped for a year pursue a Master's in public health.
You might have by my excessive babbling that it made a good impression on me. I liked it. It's inspirational if you are decided to become a doctor, but haven't started college. I'm just wondering when the other installment is coming, if it hasn't already (or if they cancelled the project).

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited March 22, 2001).]

md-bound

The tape you're looking for isn't available in regular video stores, and don't bother paying money to buy the tape. Check your local library. It's totally FREE. If they don't have a copy available, they could check to see if which bracnch has it. They even could ask that branch to forward the tape to them.

The Irony! Guess what? Re: my last posting; I found the website regarding the Nova special and its sequells, of all places on a banner in this very website.
I got re-acquainted with the doctors and learned that the follow-up shows will air on March 27, April 03, and April 10. You may want to check it out. The address is:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/
Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Kamikaze Dino (edited March 23, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MD-bound:
Hey Everyone,

I have heard you all speak of this film/documentary "Making of the MD" about Harvard medical students as they journey through their training. Unfortunately, I have had zero luck finding the movie. I have checked with the big chains--Blockbuster, Hollywood Video etc. but to no avail.

Can you guys let me know where I can find this video?

As always, thanks for the help.
smile.gif

The tape can be purchased at www.wgbh.org
Look under NOVA. It is a two hour tape for $19.95 plus shipping and handling.

Kamikaze Dino,

Thanks for the info and link to the PBS NOVA special airing at the end of this month and in April. I'm looking forward to watching the follow-up.

When "On Becoming a Doctor" first aired, it captivated me. The one student I found the most intriguing was the non-traditional guy who had worked as a motorcycle mechanic (if memory serves me well) and who, during his first year at Harvard Med, would set down his watch on the desk to allow himself only five-minute bathroom breaks while studying!

Anyway, enjoy the show...

------------------

I saw the three "Survivor MD" episodes, and I must say I was disapointed. I know I loved "So You Want to Be a Doctor" in 1991/2, but maybe I was just an eager beaver.