When do we find out the 2023 average Step 2 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1139416

Per my understanding, NBME doesn't force-curve Step 2 scores to make 246 the average. Instead, the average score goes up and down according to the strength of the test takers, which is likely higher now more than ever. I know multiple people who are getting scores in the 260s. I myself scored about 250 on all NBMES (my real scores hasn't come out yet), and trust me I am not that smart. So, do we know when NBME will publish the 2023 average score?

Members don't see this ad.

My score report from 7/26 says the median is now 248. Also seeing lots of 260s at my school. Class of 2024 is just studying extra hard for step 2 to make up for a P/F step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
My score report from 7/26 says the median is now 248. Also seeing lots of 260s at my school. Class of 2024 is just studying extra hard for step 2 to make up for a P/F step 1.
Mean of 248, not median. This was from July 2022-June 2023.

Why does the average matter?

Because your score is only as valuable as its comparison to the average. If the average is a 255 this year and was a 246 last year, then a 250 was very impressive last year but is “meh” this year.

Residency is a zero sum game…..

Reactions: 1 user
Mean of 248, not median. This was from July 2022-June 2023.

As far as I recall, Step scores are fairly well distributed into a bell curve such that the median and mean are similar, or at the very least pretty close.

The best way to get a good Step 2 is a strong Step1 foundation. The new generation of med students have ignored the Step 1 foundation.

Also OP, 250s NBMEs is not that great. I would actually be worried as that is actually 54th to 70th percentile, meaning a good chunk of people are performing better than you. 265 or higher is what is really considered a truly solid Step 2 score at minimum. Don't apply Step 1 scales to Step 2 scales. A 250 on Step 1 is excellent. A 250 on Step 2, however, is concerning. They are 2 completely different tests with 2 completely different grading scales, hence the confusion.

(Yes, dislike my post for pulling off percentiles straight from the NBME website, lol)

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I mean, there's a bit of reporting bias there. Someone who scored in the 240s is less likely to share their score.

Also OP, 250s NBMEs are not good. I would actually be worried as that is actually 54th to 70th percentile, meaning a good chunk of people are performing better than you. 265 or higher is what is really considered a truly solid Step 2 score at minimum.
Is this meant to be sarcasm? 250 is above the average matched Step 2 score in almost every specialty except derm and some of the surgical specialties.

A solid score is one that's not a liability. Obviously, everyone should try to score as high as possible, but unless OP is trying to match one of the aforementioned specialties, 25x is a fine score.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this meant to be sarcasm? 250 is above the average matched Step 2 score in almost every specialty except derm and some of the surgical specialties.

A solid score is one that's not a liability. Obviously, everyone should try to score as high as possible, but unless OP is trying to match one of the aforementioned specialties, 25x is a fine score.
250 is approximately 50th percentile. Not sure in what world that is considered good.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
250 is approximately 50th percentile. Not sure in what world that is considered good.

My point wasn’t to comment on the inherent value of a 250. It was meant to point out the difference in value of a 250 when the average is a mid-250 vs a mid-240 score.

Is ridiculous to say that only a 265+ is a good score. Or I guess it depends on your definition of good. With that definition, 75%of test takers have a bad performance

A 250+ is unlikely to prevent you from marching in most fields.

Obviously try for the highest score you can get. But let’s not suggest that a 250 is somehow a failure

Regarding averages, they slowly creep up. 1-2 points per year. A 10 point jump is very unlikely

Reactions: 9 users
Is ridiculous to say that only a 265+ is a good score. Or I guess it depends on your definition of good. With that definition, 75%of test takers have a bad performance

A 250+ is unlikely to prevent you from marching in most fields.

Obviously try for the highest score you can get. But let’s not suggest that a 250 is somehow a failure

Regarding averages, they slowly creep up. 1-2 points per year. A 10 point jump is very unlikely

But wouldn’t the jump be much higher this year now that students are studying much more heavily for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the average for USMDs, the same group with a 512 MCAT. The actual average is likely much lower with DOs and IMGs. Remember USMDs only fill like 60% of the residency spots.

Well, considering you’ve got a clear misunderstanding about the difference between a criterion-referenced assessment and a norm-referenced assessment, I’d encourage all other readers to take your opinions with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: 5 users

What? 😂 250 on step 2 is a good score.
Yeah, maybe it's the 50th percentile but it's not going to "red flag you" from 98% of programs and specialties across the US. People match into the most competitive specialties at some of the best institutions with sub-250 step 2 scores all of the time.

Reactions: 2 users
These kinda threads and thinking are why Step 2 will eventually move to P/F.

Nah. Just release the student's Shelf Exams to programs.

It has been discussed in the past that you will need to score higher than your MD counterpart if you are a DO applying to anything remotely competitive or to a more geographically preferred location. So an S2 of 250 for a DO is not equivalent to an S2 of 250 for an MD for competitive specialties at higher tier/more desirable programs.

Last edited:
Nah. Just release the student's Shelf Exams to programs.

It has been discussed in the past that you will need to score higher than your MD counterpart if you are a DO applying to anything remotely competitive or to a more geographically preferred location. So an S2 of 250 for a DO is not equivalent to an S2 of 250 for an MD for competitive specialties at higher tier/more desire programs.
Shelf exam scores aren't a good measure of knowledge either. Someone who takes IM or Surgery towards the end of the year will likely score better than someone who took those exams during the beginning. Step 2CK is basically a cumulative exam that covers all subjects (and forces you to change your thinking from one field to another), so might as well keep that.

In a world where the standard error was 8 (on my score report) which could essentially mean the difference between low 250s and 260s.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
But wouldn’t the jump be much higher this year now that students are studying much more heavily for it?

Depends, all conjecture but a lot of people for this year did not prepare for Step 1 as they had in previous years and I'm sure that's snowballed into Step 2. Also, at my school at least, the average time for Step 2 was still 2 weeks like it had been in prior years. I'm sure the Step 2 average will increase, but I don't think it'll be as dramatic of a jump as some are assuming.

Whatever helps you sleep at night
I sleep quite well, and don't need to post my score in my signature to do so ;)

• Haha
Depends, all conjecture but a lot of people for this year did not prepare for Step 1 as they had in previous years and I'm sure that's snowballed into Step 2. Also, at my school at least, the average time for Step 2 was still 2 weeks like it had been in prior years. I'm sure the Step 2 average will increase, but I don't think it'll be as dramatic of a jump as some are assuming.

I sleep quite well, and don't need to post my score in my signature to do so ;)
Everyone did it during med school admissions. I can do it now. I'm sorry if you find my score threatening, however.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Everyone did it during med school admissions. I can do it now. I'm sorry if you find my score threatening, however.
The truest characters of ignorance are vanity, pride, and arrogance. I hope you find the ivy tower pleasant.

• Love
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.