Where can I get rabies pre-exposure vaccines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peytonbramlett

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!
 
Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!
Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.
 
I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).
thanks for the info! unfortunately not only did COVID-19 send us all away from the university, but I just graduated undergrad in May so I don't have access to the health center anymore
 
Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm an SC resident so the closest vet schools are NC State and UGA, which are unfortunately closed due to COVID-19
 
I got my rabies vaccines at Walgreens. The ones open 24/7 are the ones that typically keep them stocked