• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Where can I get rabies pre-exposure vaccines?

peytonbramlett

May 28, 2019
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
  1. Veterinary Student
Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!
Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.

Sneffles

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).

About the Ads

peytonbramlett

May 28, 2019
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).
thanks for the info! unfortunately not only did COVID-19 send us all away from the university, but I just graduated undergrad in May so I don't have access to the health center anymore

peytonbramlett

May 28, 2019
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm an SC resident so the closest vet schools are NC State and UGA, which are unfortunately closed due to COVID-19

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.