Where can I get rabies pre-exposure vaccines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peytonbramlett

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am in need of the rabies vaccine series Rabavert or Ivomax in order to volunteer with a wildlife sanctuary. My insurance says they will cover it completely, as long as the place accepts my insurance. The only two places I have found that do it are Passport Health (does not accept any insurance at all - not an option) and Walgreens (not allowed to give any vaccinations right now due to COVID-19). Any hospital or primary care provider I call seems to have no idea what I'm talking about, they always think I'm talking about post-exposure (they say they have never done pre-exposure before apparently) and ask me if I have been bitten and then direct me towards each other or DHEC. I've also tried DHEC and they say hospitals/primary care providers. I've also tried extensive online research and it basically results in "the vaccine exists" but I can never find any information about where to get it (other than Passport Health). Thanks in advance!
Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.

I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to get my rabies vaccine at my university’s health center. The local hospitals I called when trying to find the cheapest price (my insurance didn’t cover it) didn’t do pre-exposure vaccines (they were all like, “what were you bitten by?”).
thanks for the info! unfortunately not only did COVID-19 send us all away from the university, but I just graduated undergrad in May so I don't have access to the health center anymore

Most chain pharmacies. Specifically for me I had to contact my county health department at one point when I looked into getting it before I got into school. If you are near a vet school it's usually easier to find a place.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm an SC resident so the closest vet schools are NC State and UGA, which are unfortunately closed due to COVID-19

I got my rabies vaccines at Walgreens. The ones open 24/7 are the ones that typically keep them stocked

I got my rabies vaccines at Walgreens. The ones open 24/7 are the ones that typically keep them stocked
Oh sorry I just saw that you said Walgreens won’t do it due to covid. That’s so frustrating

Reactions: 1 user
I know this might be a bit obvious, but did you try calling and asking the wildlife sanctuaries where you could get it done?