Where did it go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, where did that new thread from the clinical psychologist who wanted to join up (age 36), facing spouse resistance, disappear to? It was here this morning, and now poof it's gone.

Members don't see this ad.

trinityalumnus said:
Hey, where did that new thread from the clinical psychologist who wanted to join up (age 36), facing spouse resistance, disappear to? It was here this morning, and now poof it's gone.

Yes, I replied to that thread...now it's gone....Moderators???

Even if the person isn't a donor, if there's an extenuating reason, people can appeal to administration to delete a thread.

I, personally, don't know where it went (I saw it, too), but nothing seemed to be violating anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:
Even if the person isn't a donor, if there's an extenuating reason, people can appeal to administration to delete a thread.

I, personally, don't know where it went (I saw it, too), but nothing seemed to be violating anything.

You can delete threads that you start yourself.

I am still interested in feedback and info, but thought maybe with the responses this was not the right place to post. I am not in a mid-life crisis...yet, but just want to do my part. Both of my grandfathers where in WW2, and I have considered this for a long time.... Sorry to just cut and run.

I am the MOD in psych forum. :cool:

psisci said:
I am still interested in feedback and info, but thought maybe with the responses this was not the right place to post. I am not in a mid-life crisis...yet, but just want to do my part. Both of my grandfathers where in WW2, and I have considered this for a long time.... Sorry to just cut and run.

Yeah I was honestly looking for his responses myself. And Trinityalum I read the thread you sent him...obviously you're coming to VCOM so how did your situation play out if you don't mind me asking.

psisci said:

My first impression when you asked your original question was, "What are you thinking?!?" I admire your desire to serve, and understand where you are coming from with family who were in the military, etc., but being in the military is not an easy life. You do lose a lot of freedoms. Your wife and family lose a lot of freedoms. If joining the military is going to make your wife unhappy and cause family problems, then the military isn't worth it, no matter how much you want to help. If your family is not happy then your time in the military will be miserable. Once you sign the contract, your whole family has signed the contract, to move every few years, to put up with you being gone alot, Tricare (but I won't go there!), etc.

But enough of my rambling, I don't know you. I don't know your family. I do know that without the full support of my wife this will be a long 10+ years... :oops: Good luck with what ever you choose.

psisci said:

If considering a drastic change in lifestyle at age 36? that is going to cause your family undue unhappiness is not a midlife crisis, then I don't know what is.....denial?...

wait, I'm not trained in psychology:)

36, without prior service, AND a family....don't do it. Major culture shock not to mention bank account shock, housing shock, lifestyle shock, sand in your shorts shock.......

You're also not in a specialty that military members care for. One stroke of your pen and you've grounded a pilot, ended a SpecOps career, medically discharged (converted to admin discharge to save money)......

I'll put it to you this way. If I were you, I would not.

I read the Navy is short of psychologists right now. If you are looking for fun and adventure for a few years and are willing to tolerate the "military experience" give it a shot. You might get a fat check up front since I'm assuming your education is already paid for. Call the Navy Bureau of Medicine (BUMED) and ask to speak with the psychology specialty leader.

I resent a lot of the red tape I have to deal with. However I'm sure when I'm older and out of the service I'll look back fondly on the experiences I had!

Maybe I should clarify, I am considering the reserves or the national guard...a shake-n-bake.

psisci said:
Maybe I should clarify, I am considering the reserves or the national guard...a shake-n-bake.

There really is no distinction right now. You are very likely to be called up and serve. If you want the weekend warrior experience, don't do it. If you are comfortable with the likelihood of an extended period of active duty, you may well enjoy your time.

Our more shrill members have driven other people away too, but there are some of us who are still satisfied with our decisions to join.

I understand. I was basically told if I were chosen I would probably get called up ASAP.

VCOMLover said:
.......and Trinityalum I read the thread you sent him...obviously you're coming to VCOM so how did your situation play out if you don't mind me asking.

I called the registrar about two months ago to relinquish my seat. Of course they wouldn't refund my $1000 seat deposit.

After giving it a LOT of thought, I decided my wife was correct in her assessment regarding med school's affect on the family, especially when combined with the HPSP obligations. I must admit it was a very bitter pill for me to swallow at first, considering how I had been thinking about med school for 20 years, and finally knocked off the rust for the MCAT and went through all the hassle of the application and interview process. Oh well, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I had been accepted.

And my 82 year-old father in law, a retired MD, has graciously said he thinks I'm doing the right thing and not just because I married his baby girl.