Where did you go to PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2MD

Hold my beer...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or where are you planning to go to school? I'll go first.

Undergrad: UT Austin - 1994
Grad: U of Houston at Clear Lake - 1997
PT: UTMB - 2002

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad: The College of Wooster - 2001
PT: The Ohio State University - 2004

Boston University

Six-Year Accelerated Combined Athletic Training / Doctoral Physical Therapy Program

Class of 2011

Members don't see this ad :)
university of south alabama, undergrad and DPT (currently)

A technician who works with me is applying to South Alabama's program next year. Sounds like a good school.

A technician who works with me is applying to South Alabama's program next year. Sounds like a good school.

obviously my opinion is somewhat biased, but i think it's a great school. best on the gulf coast for sure.

Boston University

Six-Year Accelerated Combined Athletic Training / Doctoral Physical Therapy Program

Class of 2011

First, congrats on your program choice. I'm doing PT right now in Canada. Previously did Athletic Training which I loved completely. It's wonderful to be in a program in college that allows you to work closely with other health care professionals, and you get to learn things you can directly apply to your own training and injuries.

I'm just wondering how you're finding life in Boston? Is it a good city to live in? (regarding costs, crime, culture, opportunity to pursue outdoor athletic activities). I'm thinking of working there for a while or maybe doing a PhD.

Now no offense to any Americans. But I'm just asking because I've had some bad experiences while vacationing in a couple American cities before (NYC and Baltimore). Both instances the hotel clerks warned us that we can't really go exploring too much by foot because of the risk of gangs and violence. Also, Baltimore was very very dirty. As a Canuck living in a large Canadian city, the lifestyle is very different here. Sure there is crime but you can walk home alone after midnight and not worry you'll get shot over a watch (as we hear on the news in NYC when we visited in 2005). I always feel like I have to be more on my toes across the border.
I've had good experiences in Miami and Houston though, so just wondering how Boston is.

obviously my opinion is somewhat biased, but i think it's a great school. best on the gulf coast for sure.

Make that the 2nd best. I went to UTMB. ;)

Make that the 2nd best. I went to UTMB. ;)

okay, can't argue that, i didn't realize UTMB was in galveston. i guess i should've said "panhandle" :)

Now no offense to any Americans. But I'm just asking because I've had some bad experiences while vacationing in a couple American cities before (NYC and Baltimore). Both instances the hotel clerks warned us that we can't really go exploring too much by foot because of the risk of gangs and violence. Also, Baltimore was very very dirty. As a Canuck living in a large Canadian city, the lifestyle is very different here. Sure there is crime but you can walk home alone after midnight and not worry you'll get shot over a watch (as we hear on the news in NYC when we visited in 2005). I always feel like I have to be more on my toes across the border.
I've had good experiences in Miami and Houston though, so just wondering how Boston is.

LOL, nyc has consistently for quite some time now been found to have the lowest crime rate of all cities in the US. you can't believe everything you hear, and you must take stereotypes with a grain of salt. the fact of the matter is you are no more likely to have anything bad happen to you here than in a city of equal size and population in canada. :)

That is the most ridiculous thing ive heard about New York City. I haven't seen a gang walking around NY, well ever. If you want crime or violence its there for you if your looking for it, just like anywhere else in the world. But if you don't look for trouble which you obviously aren't, then you have nothing to worry about. Yeah Freak things happen, I can't promise you will never run into some sort of problem but its sooo unlikely. Use your head stay in areas you know and trust me you got no trouble....Most people in New York now aren't even really from New York. If you want to even hear a NY accent then you gotta go into the other boroughs, like brooklyn. And by the way NYC is Manhatten not the other boroughs forget what you learned in geography class. So even though it might be a very different type of atmosphere please try and strike that stereotype out of you head at least for Manhatten. You will be fine in boston as well :)

The University of Hartford '07
Certo, Leard, and Juan!!! My Kines prof made killer sangria

wait I thought Juan left - "like my friend the Eskimo, we go!"

First, congrats on your program choice. I'm doing PT right now in Canada. Previously did Athletic Training which I loved completely. It's wonderful to be in a program in college that allows you to work closely with other health care professionals, and you get to learn things you can directly apply to your own training and injuries.

I'm just wondering how you're finding life in Boston? Is it a good city to live in? (regarding costs, crime, culture, opportunity to pursue outdoor athletic activities). I'm thinking of working there for a while or maybe doing a PhD.

I'm having an awesome time in Boston. I chose my program second to the city. Boston is really great and the opportunities available, especially in the medical fields, are unparalleled. Compared to other American cities you might be familiar with, Boston is way cleaner and in a lot of ways just a smaller version of NYC. I cannot speak for all areas of Boston, but it's essentially a college town and all the surrounding areas of colleges are great working environments. Boston Uni., MIT, Harvard, Tufts Uni, Brandeis...and much more. I am only a freshman this year but extremely happy with my decision

Undergrad: University of Minnesota 2001
PT School: Columbia University 2008

As for NYC, I have lived there since 2003 and yes there are weird and unsafe things that happen in the city...but most happen to people who just aren't using common sense. I even lived in Harlem at one time and didn't have a problem. As for Boston, I've spent a lot of time there as my sister did her undergrad there. It's a beautiful city, but has it's unsafe areas like any big city. Good thing with Boston is that it's a great "college" town!

I went to the University of Sydney :)

Anybody out here on the west coast????

Hey, not from the west coast (as u can see from my previous post) but did all my clinicals in Cali and Colorado....I love the west coast beaches and mountains!

i live in l.a. goin to california state university northridge, u?

Univ. of North Dakota...Cold, but great college hockey & rotation sites in Hawaii.