Where did you match for PM&R 2004?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrmm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today is the big day.... 5 hours remaining til countdown.....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like I get to christen this list!

University of Missouri starting 2005 for PGY2 .:clap:

I matched at;

University of Michigan, baby!!!!

Thanks for all your help, Ligament, will talk to you soon!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!!

I matched PGY 2 at RIC. Look forward to joining PM&R community with y'all!

Holy cow!!! Congrats to axm and kurtrambis -- RIC is *amazing*!!!!

UW, baby, starting PGY-1!!!! The big YOU-DUB!!!! Very excited!!!!!

Can't wait to see you guys at RIC in '05. Congrats!!!

PGY-1 Roanoke Cariolion
PGY-2 RIC

MSK

I matched at Thomas Jefferson--my #1 choice!!

By the way, I'm a little drunk right now. :)

J-rod

CONGRATULATIONS!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

For those of you who had such great news...can you tell us what you're back-ground was? DO or MD? GPA-Class rank? Board Scores? How many interviews did you go on? Did you have connections? Previous Experience? Research? Did you publish something? How much after interview schmoozing did you do?

And for those of you who did have such great luck...please, share your tears with us too!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

WOOOO HOOO
TIME TO CELEBRATE

:D

Word to PhysGuy
I am going to UW Seattle as well. See you as a PGY2
Left coast livin is the good.

Jamin

Congrats everyone!

Jamin and Physguy Ill be seeing you pgy2 at UW! Im really psyched about getting to go out to Seattle.

I guess I'll start;

Allopath (Wayne State University)
Middle 1/3 of our class (no specifics at our school), although I improved markedly years 2 & 3
Step 1; 205
Step 2; 227

8/9 on interviews/applications, did not hear from MSU-COM (not surprising). Did audition rotations at 3 Michigan sites, obtained letters of rec. from those sites. No research or publications during medical school, but I was active in AMA-MSS and our state medical society (authored & passed resolution in state HOD, got to testify for resolution as well, fun fun). Post interview schmoozing; I sent out letters (typed, too lazy to handwrite) to PDs where I interviewed as well as to faculty members I 'clicked' with. Kept in touch with residents I met on rotations to get feedback now and again.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by TreeOfLife
CONGRATULATIONS!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

For those of you who had such great news...can you tell us what you're back-ground was? DO or MD? GPA-Class rank? Board Scores? How many interviews did you go on? Did you have connections? Previous Experience? Research? Did you publish something? How much after interview schmoozing did you do?

And for those of you who did have such great luck...please, share your tears with us too!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

WOOOO HOOO
TIME TO CELEBRATE

:D

University of Wisconsin start July 05',

pm me if anyone else is starting there....

I'm happy. I'll be at my top choice. JFK. Also got my top choice transitional year so I have no complaints just all:D 's. This program isn't talked about much compaired to kessler, but it is a terrific place. Top notch and resident friendly. Congratulations to all.:love: :clap:

Dotson, JFK is one of my favorite programs in the country. You're right, it may sometimes be overshadowed by the other NJ program but it certainly can hold its own. Dr. Cuccurulo(sp) is the greatest and the residents are the nicest. I LOVED it when I rotated there. You are one lucky guy/gal to be training there.

Anyone else mind sharing stats? As an MSIII at a school without a PM&R program, through researching the field, and a little shadowing, have finally seen the light that is PM&R. Just would like to get a feel for what may be expected in next years match!

I guess i will spill the beans. It does not matter now anyway considering that I/ we have already matched and all.

I applied to 10 schools (JFK, Kessler, NYU, Mt. Sinia, Columbia/Cornel, Temple, Spaulding, Emory, Thomas J, Albert Einstein). interviewed at 7/10. I did not get an interview at Thomas J. Decided I did not want to move to GA and decided not to interview at Einst.) I did an elective at JFK, did not do any research, no publications and really did not have any connections. After each interview I sent a letter (to each person I interviewed with) to the places I was most interested in otherwise did not do any kissing up.

In terms of my educational stats
M.D.
I am not sure of my exact ranking, but I am almost sure that I am in the top 1/3 - 1/2 of my class.
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 218

Hope this is helpful to you all.

Anyone from DO world care to share your matching stats? How many programs did you apply to? How many interviews did you land and where? Class rank/grades? COMLEX score(s), any research or publishing?

I think it'd be helpful to those of us who will be applying this year for 2006 start, to share your back-ground so that we can see who matched and why.

The competition is stiff--let us know what made you so lucky! : )

I am a DO student and here is my story

I applied to approximately 20 programs(Mayo, RIC, Stanford, UCDavis, Emory, UofM, Wisconsin, etc) and received interviews to all programs except Harvard. I think that I may have received an interview at almost any program I applied to.

My grades for years 1 and 2 were usually mid/high 80 percent to low/mid 90s for classes but my school was pass/fail so that really did not matter. I was probably top 1/3-1/4 of my class

Comlex 1 86 percentile, Comlex 2 74 percentile (should have studied more)

I had also been previously accepted to PT school but declined, so that helped.

Being a DO can only help you in this field, I did not find any problem with my training where ever I interviewed and one allopathic program director said we were better trained for PMR.

During years 1&2 I participated in OMM Club, Sportsmed Club, IM sports, and various other volunteer activities. I also signed up for extra elective course in OMM, PMR, and Pain Management during 2nd year. During 3rd/4th year I rotated in Neuro/Pain/Ortho/Neurosurg/PMRX2/Sports Med. My PMR rotations were at major universities with programs and was able to receive rec letters from both of them.

I spoke with many residents from various programs way before the match even started. I joined AAPMR as a student member, for 50$/year you get the journal and another addition to the CV.

I did not publish or do any research during med school but had some from undergrad. Do you need it? No. Can it help? Definitely, especially if you are a weaker candidate.

Things I wish I would have done: Interviewed at more programs such as Charlotte institue of Rehab, and MCV, and possibly some more of the bigger names. You can easily do a poster presentation at a conference or your school's research day on an interesting case you saw during 3rd year.

I ended matching at my first choice; University of Wisconsin. I was looking for programs very strong in Outpatient/MSK but also with adequate inpatient training. I found UC Davis, Mayo, University of Wisconsin, and RIC to be the tops for what I was looking for and where I interviewed. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me with any other ?s

Good luck and it is never to early to be thinking and planning for your future because time does go fast.