Where do DO's end up working?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sieg5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What states, like mostly red or mostly blue?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

With the exception of Minnesota, red states.

ElectoralCollege1984.svg

(If we're referring to the 1984 electoral map)

I never cease to be amazed by the arbitrary attempts at line drawing....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

DO's are regulated to states that MD's do not want to go to.

62% of DOs practice FM and the other 74% practice Pediatrics, all of them practicing in Michigan. They live at 250% above the poverty level, being paid less than 50% of their MD counterparts because, well...they're DOs. When driving to work anywhere in Michigan, they must not use the fast lane as this is only reserved for MDs that have real work to do.

I heard a rumor that, when they finish their training, they can practice anywhere in the US and most of the world, but I've always been taught otherwise.

This site is probably a fake, but it looks like it would have good information if it wasn't:
http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html
usmle_eliinitial.html

62% of DOs practice FM and the other 74% practice Pediatrics, all of them practicing in Michigan. They live at 250% above the poverty level, being paid less than 50% of their MD counterparts because, well...they're DOs. When driving to work anywhere in Michigan, they must not use the fast lane as this is only reserved for MDs that have real work to do.

I heard a rumor that, when they finish their training, they can practice anywhere in the US and most of the world, but I've always been taught otherwise.

This site is probably a fake, but it looks like it would have good information if it wasn't:
usmle_eliinitial.html

I think its real. I've seen similar info other places. I always thought it was BS that most states have more relaxed reqs on comlex

And I believe your license is always tied to the state you practice in. Some states require an AOA intern year for DOs which was at the core of the whole acquisition thing between the ACGME and the AOA. Many (most) states have similar or equivalent reqs but you must meet the states rules. I believe this may become a complete non issue in 2015. I don't know if it will be enacted retrospectively however

usmle_eliinitial.html

Love!!:D

What response did you think you were going to get OP? LOL!

Mostly on farms and making house calls. I just got my little black bag from amazon.

DOs are eveywhere!

But for the sake of argument, the eastern and mid-western states have a larger concentration of DO schools, hence, a larger pool and more acceptance. In my career, the DOs have been moving west.

The MD versus DO argument NEVER ceases to amaze me? Are there just as many thread about DDS versus DMD on the dental forums? Nobody seems to notice the MBBS doctors in this country either. :rolleyes:

Mostly on farms and making house calls. I just got my little black bag from amazon.

A neurologist in my hospital walks around with the little black bag. I'll see where he got his and maybe you can get a better deal. You need all the money you can get :(

Are there just as many thread about DDS versus DMD on the dental forums? Nobody seems to notice the MBBS doctors in this country either. :rolleyes:

theres more MD DO discussion than DDS DMD discussion because of the small but vocal group pushing to define the differences. while 95% of DOs are trying to explain why their training is essentially the same, 5% are concentrating all their efforts on advertising why they are different.

theres more MD DO discussion than DDS DMD discussion because of the small but vocal group pushing to define the differences. while 95% of DOs are trying to explain why their training is essentially the same, 5% are concentrating all their efforts on advertising why they are different.

Yes this is very true. That 5% rubs the other party in a very wrong way. The DDS and DMD thing is, from what I understand, just a name thing and there is no definable difference between them. It just depends what school you went to, correct? and I don't think there are admissions differences between the groups either.

Does it really matter?

Technically this isn't an Oxford Comma situation, but the general concept still applies.

oxford-comma-cartoon.jpg

Besides... the reaction to the JFK and Stalin being strippers is always worth posting this picture.

But that is what I am talking about here. I see DOs as the problem, no MDs.

Now that DOs enjoy privileges that they were never given in the past, they still insist that they are different. I am tired of that, "we treat the patient not the illness" crappy soapbox. So what does that mean? That every MD is a non-caring physician?

Over the years, the MDs too have accepted the "treat the patient not the illness" philosophy. We DOs are just the whiny little brats that say, "but I was playing with the toy first, you can't have it!".

I went to a lecture given a couple of years ago by the president of the AOA. I am happy to see changes for a more unified medicine coming. We all need to get off our high horses and at the end of the day realize that we are ALL reaching for the same goal.

Technically this isn't an Oxford Comma situation, but the general concept still applies.

oxford-comma-cartoon.jpg

Besides... the reaction to the JFK and Stalin being strippers is always worth posting this picture.

I showed my dad this last night. It sure how it applies but still a good pic.

My point was that the post was trolling anyways so using the correct word doesn't make it any better