Where do I do my gen surg sub-I???? Seriously

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymouskoala28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
VSLO opens in like 2 months and I literally have no idea where to do my audition rotations. I know.. do where you'd want to do your residency. But I don't have any location preference, no specific reason to be anywhere. I do plan on doing a fellowship so I know I should try to go to an established program who has a good history of matching into fellowships but that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. I don't have preference at all for basically anything at all. Don't have any stats besides a P on COMLEX level 1 and a P on USMLE Step 1 because they are now p/f so... how did you guys decide where to do your sub-Is???? I do have a lot of research and mentor a lot of research projects but could give a crap less if my program is big on research. Would be cool to be at an academic center because of all the cutting edge tech and great traumas but community hospitals rock from a diversity standpoint and as a resident you get to operate so much more and have more responsibility but you just don't get the crazy level 1 traumas. Any insight???

Members don't see this ad.

Anywhere that accepts you. VSLO applications are hit or miss anyways. Apply to many programs and some will accept or reject you. Go wherever you get the chance to and take it from there. No need to complicate things if you already don't have a location preference.

Anywhere that accepts you. VSLO applications are hit or miss anyways. Apply to many programs and some will accept or reject you. Go wherever you get the chance to and take it from there. No need to complicate things if you already don't have a location preference.
thanks for the advice! I should be able to do 4, how many places should I apply for per slot I have available? I know a lot of people get rejects but didn’t know how many I should apply to accommodate that either

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to anywhere you can see yourself being/matching. Better to have options and turn them down than to have no options. Also 4 auditions sounds exhausting.

Reactions: 1 user
2 DO and 2 MD. Try and do the MD ones at places you would be interested in AND write letters for rotators (ask upper classmen)

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, just apply to anywhere you think you'd want to go.
I got an interview because they said they saw I'd applied for an away even though I didn't even get the rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to anywhere you can see yourself being/matching. Better to have options and turn them down than to have no options. Also 4 auditions sounds exhausting.
I feel it’s practically the norm anymore for DO students applying surg to do anywhere from 3-5 auditions. I feel like I will definitely be so run down but gotta do what ya gotta do. Does it look bad to get an offer to rotate but turn it down because you have filled all your available rotations?

Seriously, just apply to anywhere you think you'd want to go.
I got an interview because they said they saw I'd applied for an away even though I didn't even get the rotation.
That is interesting. I was under the impression if they didn’t think you were a good enough applicant to rotate there that you wouldn’t get an interview.

I feel it’s practically the norm anymore for DO students applying surg to do anywhere from 3-5 auditions. I feel like I will definitely be so run down but gotta do what ya gotta do. Does it look bad to get an offer to rotate but turn it down because you have filled all your available rotations?
No.
That is interesting. I was under the impression if they didn’t think you were a good enough applicant to rotate there that you wouldn’t get an interview.
Rotations are almost always first come first serve. Just because you don’t get a rotation doesn’t mean they won’t consider you for residency.

Reactions: 1 users