MD Where do I stand for peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanttobelieve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my peds shelf score and, well, it’s pretty disappointingly average, and is going to drop my peds grade down potentially to a pass (our peds grading scheme is pretty harsh). I have good eval comments and some research in peds (a couple presentations/abstracts), some undergrad research papers, and have some extracurriculars. Unremarkable M3 grades so far (2 passes in OBGYN and IM, HP in psych, with decent comments). US MD, Step score was 234.

I’m not gunning for a top program, but I am hoping to match in an academic program in a medium sized city , but am feeling a bit lost right now and just hoping for some advice/insight. I’m particularly interested in hearing about Chicago programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any particular insight into Chicago programs, but you won't have a problem getting into a decent academic program.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
From what I know from my friends who matched peds, you will be fine. Just do your best to honor your sub-Is and look, you’ve already shown improvement! Different location (though academic city program) but I remember one of the peds residents telling me she passed her peds clerkship when I was bemoaning high passing my clerkship in my field of choice.

You’ll be totally fine. Get some good letters and try to do well on your sub-I. A strong sub-I grade would help a lot I think. Best of luck.