Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pankobread

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a little new to this. I know I'm cutting it really close to the deadline but I've been slugging away at the prerequisites for a little over a year now to make it to this point so I just wanted to get some advice on what kind of expectations I can have, how I might be able to spin my story and maybe what further steps I can take.

Just to preface things, and I know I'll have to be brief at best when doing this on my application, I have a low GPA and low science GPA, respectively 2.99 and <2.99. My undergraduate record was pretty poor with that regard, and I'm not going to try to make excuses about it but if I were to explain it on my application I would say that it took me until some rather drastic mistakes in how I viewed my courses and effected my behavior as a student before I was able to pull up.

Anyway, just a brief summary:
GPA: 2.99 (3.10 if you consider any 14 units in retaken courses)
Science GPA: ~2.6
Last 45 units: ~3.4 (likely, I haven't tallied though since it's a combination of both community college and my last quarter at UCLA)
GRE: 163 Verbal, 168 Quantitative, still waiting on results for writing
Outpatient: Well over 650 hours
Inpatient: 36 hours and going at Lucille Packard Rehab

I know it doesn't look good so I'm not looking for anyone to sugar coat the situation, but I think given my rate of improvement, level of interest and academic comeback after I finished up at UCLA, what else can I do at this point? I've been trying to make the time to try to find a research lab for clinical rehab but my work in the outpatient clinic has been dominating my life.

Thanks by the way!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey :)

With that low of a GPA it will be difficult to get into many programs, but I don't think it is by any means impossible. Don't apply to any schools that have a minimum GPA above 3.0 because you will be wasting your time, however if you do some research for schools whose minimum GPA is 2.75ish and you also try to apply to schools that look at the last 45-60ish credits you may have a shot. Especially with such great GRE scores. I mean wow, those are really high, congrats! I think that your GRE scores may make admissions take a second look at your application even with your GPA (also great LOR and essays wont hurt). Keep your expectations at check (which it seems you are already doing) but also remember that people with similar GPAs and much lower GREs have gotten into programs so I wouldn't give up just yet.

Good Luck!

-K

Continue to earn more hours in the inpatient setting. Don't spend any more time in the outpatient setting.

Your limiter is the pre-req GPA. 2.6 is too low to be competitive. You will not get accepted anywhere with that GPA. You need to retake some, if not all, of your pre-requisites.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
Although your GRE is extremely competitive, schools will not even look at your application if you dont hit that minimum requirement. Bring that 2.6 gpa to a 3.0. I believe if you go back and retake those science courses, it will show a determination and persistence.

When you mean "science GPA" are you talking about all the science courses you took or just prerequisites? Cause that may change your GPA.. Maybe for the better.

Unfortunately I overlooked your science GPA. With that score you would not get in, however if you take some classes over or take additional courses and get all As you might have a shot.

I'm not sure if this will help you since I believe the min is 3.0 GPA, but some schools like St. Augustine really do take into account the effort you put into your process. I went there to tour and some of the students that talked to me explained that the interview process was heavily weighted in their decision making. You basically have a chance to explain why your academic history is that way and how you've continued on. In addition they have a section in their applications where you can explain whether or not your academic reflects you potential.

However, you do have to take into account that you'll need some really good references as well to be considered. Usually 2 pt and 2 teachers.

I think that you are really competitive with your GRE scores, so keep working on your classes like you are. Good luck!

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback. I did indeed consider retaking some of those prerequisite courses but I put my first priority in clearing up any untaken courses.

From my first 4 years of college:
Bio 1-4 doesn't look great with a C, C, C+ and B
General chem 1-2 and lab would be B, B+, B (I think it's been awhile since I checked)
Organic chem 1-2 and lab is lower with C, C, C+ (I think)
Stats A-
English A-
[I think this covers most of the prerequisites]

After graduation:
Psych and abnormal psych A and A-
A&P 1-3 - A, A, A

At this point, additional courses don't really buffer my record very well, I took an additional 25-30 credits and it raised my GPA about 0.03 :/

I'm trying to get my apps in this round and while I know it wouldn't hurt at all to show some persistence by retaking my classes, I don't have the chance right now and I was wondering if there's more I need to prove.

I think the stats above indicate better than a 2.6 but if you take my major GPA into account, it begins to flounder tremendously. I chose to be a neuro major without much deliberation in my decision making then and boy was I underprepared... I wouldn't say that I would blame the difficulty of my courses but it did factor in my performance, especially when I began my upper division courses for the first time. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of this matters at all.

On another note, I am definitely strongly considering USA as well as Samuel Merritt (I think their GPA min is 2.6 but the deadline is approaching really soon)

Thanks again!

I suggest looking for PT programs that take the best grade for retaken classes (instead of averaging the grades), and retaking all of your prereq courses for an A. There's no reason to retake other courses besides prereqs, because those are the ones that matter most to PT programs. If you push your prereq GPA above 3.5 (or even a little lower), then I think with your phenomenal GRE score you would definitely get in somewhere. Just make sure your overall GPA meets the minimum for the schools you apply to. You might also look at programs that only look at the last 45 or 60 units, because your retakes will make more impact on your overall GPA that way.

Have you taken physics yet? That could be another opportunity to push your prereq GPA higher. It looks like your only prereq C's are in Bio, so maybe retake those, plus the physics, to get your prereq GPA in order. OChem isn't a prereq for most PT programs, so you don't need to worry about those C's as much.

I also agree that getting a wider variety of observation hours will help. There's no need to get hundreds of outpatient hours. Try more inpatient, or a specialty setting like aquatic, home health, cardiac, etc.

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback. I did indeed consider retaking some of those prerequisite courses but I put my first priority in clearing up any untaken courses.

From my first 4 years of college:
Bio 1-4 doesn't look great with a C, C, C+ and B
General chem 1-2 and lab would be B, B+, B (I think it's been awhile since I checked)
Organic chem 1-2 and lab is lower with C, C, C+ (I think)
Stats A-
English A-
[I think this covers most of the prerequisites]

After graduation:
Psych and abnormal psych A and A-
A&P 1-3 - A, A, A

At this point, additional courses don't really buffer my record very well, I took an additional 25-30 credits and it raised my GPA about 0.03 :/

I'm trying to get my apps in this round and while I know it wouldn't hurt at all to show some persistence by retaking my classes, I don't have the chance right now and I was wondering if there's more I need to prove.

I think the stats above indicate better than a 2.6 but if you take my major GPA into account, it begins to flounder tremendously. I chose to be a neuro major without much deliberation in my decision making then and boy was I underprepared... I wouldn't say that I would blame the difficulty of my courses but it did factor in my performance, especially when I began my upper division courses for the first time. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of this matters at all.

On another note, I am definitely strongly considering USA as well as Samuel Merritt (I think their GPA min is 2.6 but the deadline is approaching really soon)

Thanks again!

Dude go for it... what have you got to lose by applying? All it takes is 1... Kinda like a girl, car, etc just need 1

TopShelf

Honestly, have less self-doubt and tell the admissions people straight up why you belong. It's like any sales pitch... Think about this... if Mark Sanchez can sucker the Jets into giving him that bull**** 3 year deal over all the other QB's out there... why cant you do it too?

To answer any other questions, I got B+, B, B+ in physics. Rather have had the A but I think one of my selling points will have to be the maturation in my study habits and sense of purpose after graduating.

Also, just to fill in the blanks, 5.5 for GRE writing so I'm pleased with the result.

I do agree though, I'm not going to hold myself back from applying. It's just that I feel the essay is the only truly personal distinguishable factor in determining my selection. It helps for me to understand what other folks might see when they look at my numbers. That will give me an idea of what the readers will think when they compare my stats and my personal statement.

Thanks again so much!