Where do I start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychRN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an RN with pre-reqs all over 7 yrs old. I would like to go to med school and don't have a clue where to really start. Can someone tell me the classes I would need to take to get into med school. Do I need to get a grad degree or is it best to take the few classes needed, the MCAT, and then began applying? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

psychRN said:
I am an RN with pre-reqs all over 7 yrs old. I would like to go to med school and don't have a clue where to really start. Can someone tell me the classes I would need to take to get into med school. Do I need to get a grad degree or is it best to take the few classes needed, the MCAT, and then began applying? Thanks for any help.

Doesn't matter that the pre-reqs are old, they still count. You need: 1 year physics, 1 year bio, 1 year gen chem, 1 semester of o chem minimum (usually a year), sometimes a year of english and sometimes biochem. The first three all schools want, the rest can vary. Some schools want a year of math too, usually calculus but there aren't too many of those. Start the pre-reqs you need now and plan on taking the MCAT next April (2007).

Yea they still count. Essentially here's the quick break down. Taking the pre-reqs gets you into the application game (ie: you can now submit an application). Recommend you take new coursework such as upper division science classes to show the admissions committees that you are still up to speed with going to school, learning, etc. This also helps you refresh your schools to prepare for the MCAT, and potentially interact with professors so you can get new letters of recommendation.

Prolly first thing to consider, do you want to do a official or unofficial post-bacc program? There are plenty of people who decided to change careers, and there are post-bacc programs that help you through that. Some programs even link you into a med school. Depending on your undergrad GPA, you may look into such programs, however these are obviously more competative to get into.

An unofficial program isn't bad either. Eitherway just do well, and you will get into med school. Since you were a nurse, clinical experience is obviously not a problem. You may want to put some "icing on the cake" by doing some additional volunteering (clinical or non-clinical), and/or perhaps research. The most important thing is to get your application up to speed, and that is mainly taking classes for the reasons I stated early. I think the challenge for you is not getting into med school, but getting back into the school arena. For some that is always hard, but once you get into the mode, everything is good :) Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
psychRN said:
I was the same way, don't worry about being old, as long as you received a BSN those "older" courses are locked in (mine are 13 yrs old). it's only if you take chem 12 years ago on whim and try to use it..it maybe denied. I just jumped back into college. chem, O chem, physics, pre cal, biochem. it'll take about 3 yrs/part time. started doing some admin/leadership work, get LOR's from dept chiefs MD/DO, and somewhere in there take the mcat when your ready! don't take it unless you can do well on practice exams. you don't want to take that brain beater more than....3 times! trust me. practice writing your personal statement(s). it's a long and detailed process but it's an endurance race. one step at a time....good luck

Thanks for the responses. Is there a book or list that I can use which details each step of the process. Is anyone familiar with any schools in MS with a post-bacc program with med school linkage? Chopstick, what do you mean by personal statement...Sorry, I told you all, I am green to this whole process. Thanks again.

Beware that formal post bac programs are pricey.

My prereqs were about 10 years old when I started the process. I had gotten C's in organic chem so I retook those at a local state college for pretty cheap. Took a MCAT review course, too. I didn't get accepted my first time, and the school that I ultimately went to suggested I take extra upper level undergrad courses (such as biochem, genetics, immunology) I did that..2 courses per semester at a local school, including that summer, while I continued to work. My second time applying, I got in and started med school at 38.

Now that I'm facing a mountain of debt, I'm glad I didn't go to an expensive postbac program. Even though at the time I was a bit disappointed to have to go to my state school than to a bigger name place, ultimately I have found the clinical experience for med students to be better at places without the big name. I'm currently a surgery resident at a bigger name program, private med school, and the students here are spoiled, coddled and have an entitlement mentality. Plus the expectations of them in the clincial rotations are pathetically minimal (at least compared to what was expected of me in med school)