where do people who attend the lowest ranked residencies end up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the point of working hard to attend the best residencies possible if you are just planning on doing private practice. If you finish your residency in anesthesiology at some osteopathic residency in the middle of arkansas, are you pretty much stuck practicing in that area for a long time, or can people from no-name residencies practice anywhere they want?

...also, im a premed so this is probably sounds like a stupid group of questions to you guys, but i've asked before and nobody's given me that good of an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

seth03 said:
I don't understand the point of working hard to attend the best residencies possible if you are just planning on doing private practice. If you finish your residency in anesthesiology at some osteopathic residency in the middle of arkansas, are you pretty much stuck practicing in that area for a long time, or can people from no-name residencies practice anywhere they want?

...also, im a premed so this is probably sounds like a stupid group of questions to you guys, but i've asked before and nobody's given me that good of an answer.

There are no osteopathic residency programs at uams. Please go to www.uams.edu for further information.

You can pretty much practice anywhere no matter where you trained. All accredited residencies have certain requirements and standards they all must meet. So you're all qualified to practice the specialty no matter where you train. There may be some geographic preference - if your program is a smaller one it may be easier to get more job offers in nearby states b/c they're more familiar with your program, but it certainly won't preclude you from finding your way into a job in a far away market.

Patients in general don't seem to know much differenece between programs. Sure if they see the ivy leage degree on your wall they may ohh and ahh, but I've really never heard a patient (who is not also in the medical profession) recommend a doctor based on where he trained - it's more about how you treat people - patients and consultants/reffering docs, that gets that referral base going. There are plenty of jobs in most specialties to go around, so I really don't think going to a small name program blacklists you from working in any major big city at all.

As to why would someone then go to a big name residency? Well, they may think they'll get a better training with a wider variety of exposure to specialty patients or get to learn from some of the big names in the field - so it may be more for the experience of it. Plus, I think most people don't really know when they enter residency if they will end up in academic or private practice and figure they'll have more options at a bigger name academic program than a smaller one it they are thinking of an academic carreer as a possibility.

mochadoc said:
There are no osteopathic residency programs at uams. Please go to www.uams.edu for further information.

He was just giving a hypothetical situation and he just said in the state of Arkansas not at UAMS. Calm down.

ahhh. thank you so much fourthyear. that was a really good answer. everything definitely makes a little more sense now.

whats with 2 sn's with the name fourth year? are u changing ur names next year?

thanks again.

The more prestigious residencies also carry the better reputation of exposure and training. If you are looking to get into a top fellowship program, then the residency site will carry some weight.
A good friend once told me, "When you get into medical school, everyone is interested in where you did your undergrad. When you go into residency, everyone forgets your undergrad and focuses on your medical school. Once you are in practice, the residency location takes over in the hierarchy."

The big name residencies definately help when seeking fellowships. Many fellowships are very competitive to get into. Program rep and letters form big name faculty help when applying.

Hey seth, that's where i did my undergrad. I hope you get all your Q's answered.