Where do you get your news?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted59964

A bit off topic admittedly.

Poor quality journalism
Political agendas of media owners
Even search engines filter your results based on previous searches giving a skewed result

I feel uninformed and misled on many important issues.

I've previously made clear I am no fan of trump for instance, but the newspapers here seem to run trivial stories about him, his words, behaviour and even dress sense on a daily basis - it's not news it's a sustained effort to manipulate.

So how do you inform yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had on and off subscriptions to the NYT, WSJ, and other various magazines. The only subscription I've had continuously for the past 10 years is The Atlantic. It is certainly a "left-leaning" publication, but I find the writing and journalism to be pretty high quality with plenty of writers that challenge my current point of view. The Atlantic is more of a commentary on current events, rather than "news." For news, I flip through the local paper. I have not found a good "app" or website that doesn't try to feed me stories based on some alogorithmic equation analyzing my clicks.

Reactions: 1 user
Fox News. It’s what’s always on in the lounge.

Doctors seem to greatly prefer it even in liberal costal elite land.

I used to subscribe to CNN and Fox News alerts, so I could get two sides of the same story, and then ignore them both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Usually BBC, internet, and... I do like one eye america... haha don't laugh- I especially like the history blips on OEA.

I used to subscribe to CNN and Fox News alerts, so I could get two sides of the same story, and then ignore them both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Getting 2 opposing sides is probably better than one unchallenged side...

but there may be more than 2 sides
And there are issues that don't rate a mention

Used to be Vox, now it's Axios and The Week. Atlantic and Reason in print. Occasionally Google News as long as the source is decent. I don't read Breitbart and other superbiased garbage, the same way I avoid most of CNN and Fox News (except for the decent people). I try to focus on the facts, not opinions or feelings.

WSJ, NY Times, New Yorker, Atlantic for meals.

Zerohedge, Drudge for dessert.

Members don't see this ad :)
FAKE NEWS!

ysmj5uF.jpg

kCyGo34.jpg

(The above infographics have their own issues and biases).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
FAKE NEWS!

ysmj5uF.jpg

kCyGo34.jpg

Interesting diagram - like you point out it had its own bias, but I think itit gives some food for thought for people who use limited sources.

CNN definitely needs to be further to the left

DrudgeReport and NBC news along with Bill Maher: I listen to BOTH sides

Drudge had a long relationship with Washington D.C. landscaper, David Cohen.[27] Cohen confirmed the relationship to the New York Daily News.[28][29] Drudge previously lived in Hollywood. As of 2007, he owns two properties in Miami – a $1.4 million Mediterranean-style stucco house on Rivo Alto Island,[2] and a $1-million-plus condominium in Miami's Four Seasons hotel.[6] By early 2009, Drudge earned millions of dollars a year, travelled extensively (Israel, Las Vegas, Geneva), moved to another property in Miami and had become reclusive.[12] In 2003 he said his one indulgence, apart from travel, was his Corvette.[30] He was listed on Out Magazine's Power List of the top 50 "list of gay men and women whose power and prestige is instrumental in influencing how we think about, and engage with, the world"[31] in 2011,[32] 2012,[33] and 2013.[31][34]Drudge specifically denied being homosexual in response to the Out Magazine article. [35]

Reactions: 1 users

Totally agree. People can only listen to CNN and their manufactured Russian narrative for so long. When a news channel is on in the lounge, 80% of the time it is FNC. Less commonly CNN and only a few times have I seen MSNBC.

Used to be Vox, now it's Axios and The Week. Atlantic and Reason in print. Occasionally Google News as long as the source is decent. I don't read Breitbart and other superbiased garbage, the same way I avoid most of CNN and Fox News (except for the decent people). I try to focus on the facts, not opinions or feelings.

Facts presented in an unbiased is almost impossible to find. For example, ever watch NBC, ABC, or CBS evening news?

FAKE NEWS!

ysmj5uF.jpg

kCyGo34.jpg

WOW WOW WOW

Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC as "minimal political bias." Unbelievable, these fake news sources portrayed the entire election as a landslide for Hillary. Then after she lost, the anchors and contributors where crying and demonstrating their biases. CNN was caught leaking debate questions to Hillary. There is nothing credible about this illustration.

WOW WOW WOW

Washington Post, New York Times, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC as "minimal political bias." Unbelievable, these fake news sources portrayed the entire election as a landslide for Hillary. Then after she lost, the anchors and contributors where crying and demonstrating their biases. CNN was caught leaking debate questions to Hillary. There is nothing credible about this illustration.
Sounds like you might prefer this one instead:

B9xUSRT.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you might prefer this one instead:

B9xUSRT.jpg

Looks much better. I'm not familiar with all these news sources, but I like the "State-run" part because it is very obvious those on the lower left go to bat for the democrats. They don't even bother pretending to be unbiased.

Quoting Blade:

Drudge had a long relationship with Washington D.C. landscaper, David Cohen.[27] Cohen confirmed the relationship to the New York Daily News.[28][29] Drudge previously lived in Hollywood. As of 2007, he owns two properties in Miami – a $1.4 million Mediterranean-style stucco house on Rivo Alto Island,[2] and a $1-million-plus condominium in Miami's Four Seasons hotel.[6] By early 2009, Drudge earned millions of dollars a year, travelled extensively (Israel, Las Vegas, Geneva), moved to another property in Miami and had become reclusive.[12] In 2003 he said his one indulgence, apart from travel, was his Corvette.[30] He was listed on Out Magazine's Power List of the top 50 "list of gay men and women whose power and prestige is instrumental in influencing how we think about, and engage with, the world"[31] in 2011,[32] 2012,[33] and 2013.[31][34]Drudge specifically denied being homosexual in response to the Out Magazine article. [35][/QUOTE]

So Drudge was the boyfriend of a D.C. Landscaper named David something? BFD. What does that have to do with his political views or ability to report the news?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looks much better. I'm not familiar with all these news sources, but I like the "State-run" part because it is very obvious those on the lower left go to bat for the democrats. They don't even bother pretending to be unbiased.

The executive and legislative branches of government are dominated by Republicans. Which "state" is running CNN?

Quoting Blade:

Drudge had a long relationship with Washington D.C. landscaper, David Cohen.[27] Cohen confirmed the relationship to the New York Daily News.[28][29] Drudge previously lived in Hollywood. As of 2007, he owns two properties in Miami – a $1.4 million Mediterranean-style stucco house on Rivo Alto Island,[2] and a $1-million-plus condominium in Miami's Four Seasons hotel.[6] By early 2009, Drudge earned millions of dollars a year, travelled extensively (Israel, Las Vegas, Geneva), moved to another property in Miami and had become reclusive.[12] In 2003 he said his one indulgence, apart from travel, was his Corvette.[30] He was listed on Out Magazine's Power List of the top 50 "list of gay men and women whose power and prestige is instrumental in influencing how we think about, and engage with, the world"[31] in 2011,[32] 2012,[33] and 2013.[31][34]Drudge specifically denied being homosexual in response to the Out Magazine article. [35]

So Drudge was the boyfriend of a D.C. Landscaper named David something? BFD. What does that have to do with his political views or ability to report the news?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

A Jewish Gay Male is highly unlikely to be a Neo-Nazi or White Supremacist; the uber left has made Matt Drudge out to be something he isn't. That's my point.
I look at DrugeReport 2-3 times daily for the news.

A Jewish Gay Male is highly unlikely to be a Neo-Nazi or White Supremacist; the uber left has made Matt Drudge out to be something he isn't. That's my point.
I look at DrugeReport 2-3 times daily for the news.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Point taken. Hair-trigger response on my part.

I'm in coastal elite land and the only place I see FNC on is a Chinese restaurant I like. Once in awhile in a patient room, never in staff tv areas.
I'll watch some daytime fox. Their AM chat shows and prime time are ludicrous. If CNN is the Russia hysteria channel then Fox is the Hillary Clinton hysteria channel.

I'll watch/read everything, including the comment threads to online news stories. It is absolutely disturbing to see the vile and often violent rhetoric coming from so many people on both sides.

Also, the confirmation bias we all have and love to feed when it comes to our information sources is very real, but it's still surprising to me that we had/have doctors on this site posting from Sputnik and Rtv. That's embarrassing.

Also, the confirmation bias we all have and love to feed when it comes to our information sources is very real, but it's still surprising to me that we had/have doctors on this site posting from Sputnik and Rtv. That's embarrassing.
What's embarrassing is that not enough of us have put them on our ignore lists. There is a level of lack of intelligence at which there is no possibility for dialogue. AKA "you can't fix stupid". To me, reading this forum during the elections was the ultimate proof that being a doctor doesn't mean anything anymore. With enough grit, any ***** can make it. It ain't rocket science (anymore). I love that ignore button...

By the way, the famous RT has been recently identified by the Trump government as a Russian outlet, and asked to register as a foreign agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the chart listed above is total garbage in it's objectivity.

My personal view, and evidence does seem to support this, is that MOST people view/read/watch content which is supportive of their own political tendencies. Acknowledging that even the smallest of media companies are for profit, it's easy to see how the media companies (nearly all of them) cater their content to what they KNOW is their audience (you think Fox, CNN, MSNBC, and even Breitbart don't do market research??). Rule #1?? in business is don't alienate your audience/CUSTOMER BASE. (maybe that's public speaking but you get the point).

So, we all act indignant when one media outlet (likely a very large corporation with enormous profit pressure in an ever competitive MARKET) or another is "biased". OF COURSE they are. They are corporations.

I think part of navigating our "information" landscape is, yes, to multi-source your information. And if you are truly interested in the truth (versus affirming our own biases), then a step further would be to fact check (via multiple sources). The reality is that this is very time consuming, and probably unrealistic for the most part.

What is imperative is to always consider financial interests of just about anything. You also have to consider the larger geopolitical world, and how those very strong forces can, and do, influence the news. (Directly??) Factoring in the impact of intelligence agencies attempting to destabilize a region, or simply to cause disinformation, we are truly at a massive disadvantage in really knowing what is what. We must think for ourselves, but realize that we are disadvantaged. And, realizing simply that this is the world we live in. It's not always a "conspiracy", rather a perhaps natural outgrowth from the technology we are now exposed to.

News, especially as pertains to politics seems to be quite a challenge to navigate. At least with certain other categories of data, we have history to look back upon, but even this can be manipulated as we all know. I think we all need to recognize our vulnerability to being manipulated in many ways. Fear is a very nice control tactic, so I think you need a bigger filter when analyzing items which cause or suggest fear.

And, to defend some of my own tendency towards being paranoid, I think a certain level of paranoia is healthy, but admit it can be taken too far.

I think news.google.com gives a reasonably broad sample of coverage on current events.

Of course, Google probably knows everything about me, so maybe Google News only shows me the things they know I want to hear.

BBC, NYTimes, CNN (Wolf for info, Don Lemon for entertainment).....all a fed to me via Twitter follows

FOX for TV (or CNN), occasionally MSNBC.
WSJ, Axios mainly online, but I'll read Costa and a couple others at WaPO or Haberman at NYT

I forgot The Economist. I cancelled my subscription simply because it was overwhelming and I don't have the time to read it all. However, I do pick it up at the news stand for long trips or a weekend on-call. So, the Atlantic (a little left) and the Economist (a little right) for my analysis of current events and the local paper for news. I don't watch news on tv at all. No thanks. The only time my tv turns on is if I'm binge-watching the latest Marvel show on Netflix.

Follown CNN, NYT, Wash Post, local paper on twitter.

All the news I need, never have to turn on those garbage shows.