-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
"Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Q
Started by joojoobee
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Do you want to hear everyone else's answers for funsies or some advice? This honestly seems like one of the easiest questions to answer to me. Just answer truthfully, even if the answer is different from one you gave to the same question at a previous interview. Ideas change. 🙂
At this point I don't think anyone expects you to be 100% set on a specialty so don't worry about choosing one for this question. Most of these types of questions are designed to see whether you've thought this through.
I'd say as long as you don't have any outlandish or naive responses ("I'll have cured cancer by then") you should be fine. Be articulate and show that you know what you're getting yourself into (timewise).
I think it's ok to say you'd like to start a family at some point but I don't like to get too much into that cause it invites follow-up questions about family planning etc. possibly. That's just me. I don't have any plans for a family at the moment so it's easy.
I'd say as long as you don't have any outlandish or naive responses ("I'll have cured cancer by then") you should be fine. Be articulate and show that you know what you're getting yourself into (timewise).
I think it's ok to say you'd like to start a family at some point but I don't like to get too much into that cause it invites follow-up questions about family planning etc. possibly. That's just me. I don't have any plans for a family at the moment so it's easy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone give me an example answer? I think the reason it's hard for me is that I find it impossible to think that far ahead and have enough details to answer this question in any depth. All i can think of is saying what specialty I'm interested in now (which i'll probably change) and that I'll do research in a certain field. Maybe I'm just the most uncreative/unimaginative person ever?
I think everything you mentioned in your OP are things you could touch on. Obviously, they're interested in knowing what specialties you might be interested in and what kind of practice you see yourself having/where you see yourself practicing (location, type of hospital, etc.), but IMO an interview is largely about getting to know you beyond what you put on paper, and talking about personal goals (marriage, kids, home ownership, etc.) are perfectly valid to include as well.
Your private life in 10 years is not the point of that question and can get into areas that interviewers should stay clear of .... just don't go there.
Do you see yourself practicing in an office setting with long term relationships with patients over years, or in a specialty that has episodic care with patients in a hospital or outpatient surgery center. Do you see yourself working mostly with diagnostic condundrums or performing procedures in more straight forward cases? Do you like machines, high tech stuff or low tech relationships?
Do you see yourself living in a huge city, in a suburban setting, a rural area? What attracts you to that area?
Do you want to practice full time? Do you see yourself doing a combination of clinical practice plus research and/or supervision of residents/students? Is volunteerism, community service, advocacy, or service missions a goal? Have you had experiences that played a part in your decision to make that part of your future?
Do you see yourself practicing in an office setting with long term relationships with patients over years, or in a specialty that has episodic care with patients in a hospital or outpatient surgery center. Do you see yourself working mostly with diagnostic condundrums or performing procedures in more straight forward cases? Do you like machines, high tech stuff or low tech relationships?
Do you see yourself living in a huge city, in a suburban setting, a rural area? What attracts you to that area?
Do you want to practice full time? Do you see yourself doing a combination of clinical practice plus research and/or supervision of residents/students? Is volunteerism, community service, advocacy, or service missions a goal? Have you had experiences that played a part in your decision to make that part of your future?
Celebratin' the ten year anniversary of you askin' me this question!
👍
👍Celebratin' the ten year anniversary of you askin' me this question!👍
I approve, you get to be a doctor now.
Celebratin' the ten year anniversary of you askin' me this question!👍
🤣
Celebratin' the ten year anniversary of you askin' me this question!👍
RIP Mitch Hedberg. My favorite
+1rip mitch hedberg. My favorite
so its been ten years. what did you end up doing? was it close to what you said in your interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K
J
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
J