You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Started by jammin06
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Describe your fav specialty, private practice vs academic medicine, research or not. Possiblilty of pro bono work. You can do it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
finishing this secondary question
If you haven't finished it yet, there's a trap in the secondary in that they don't tell you there's a 500 character limit on all of the 'essay-questions' on there.... I wrote answers out for the 3 applicable questions, pretty short, but still after i went to all the trouble of writing a good response, I got errors that they were too long and had to trim them wwaaaaayyyy down... you can't hardly say ANYTHING in 500 characters, but that's what they want, for some reason. Where are you in undergrad?? How interested in UAB are ya? I'm doing EDP, so if you wind up going there, hopefully I'll see ya next year!
BaylorGuy said:i find those essay questions funny...in like 10 years, most will either be practicing or still in residency....its like either answer A or B
True, plus you don't necessarily know what you will be doing 10 years from now or what field you'll find interesting.
I think it is just there to test you, to see if you are seriously committed to medicine.
gujuDoc said:True, plus you don't necessarily know what you will be doing 10 years from now or what field you'll find interesting.
I think it is just there to test you, to see if you are seriously committed to medicine.
Yeah, either that or you know what you are getting into. I mean seriously...10 years sounds like a long time away, but most of the SDNers (who love specializing), will still be in residency. It may be helpful just to be frank and accept that you will stilll be/finishing up in residency. Beats me...
BrettBatchelor said:Describe your fav specialty, private practice vs academic medicine, research or not. Possiblilty of pro bono work. You can do it.
this may be a dumb question, but how possible is it to do private practice (pediatrics, oncology, ob/gyn, who knows?) and have some time for research on the side?
It kind of surprised me that no one else recommended this, but why not use that space to describe your ENTIRE life as you believe you want it in ten years. Such as: married/unmarried, kids, where you want to be in the country, what kind of medicine you want to practice and why, and why you would be happy in those circumstances. I'm not saying that's the right way to answer the question, but its how I would do it . It would certainly make your app stand out.
ybbil919 said:For those applying to UAB, are you answering the "Please write anything you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application" question?
I just put down a few lines about personal interests, I figure all the academic type stuff is in AMCAS
will8570 said:It kind of surprised me that no one else recommended this, but why not use that space to describe your ENTIRE life as you believe you want it in ten years. Such as: married/unmarried, kids, where you want to be in the country, what kind of medicine you want to practice and why, and why you would be happy in those circumstances. I'm not saying that's the right way to answer the question, but its how I would do it . It would certainly make your app stand out.
That's a great idea, but for UAB at least the actual prompt is "Where do you see yourself in your medical career ten years from now?", so I don't know that that's what they're looking for.
MattD said:If you haven't finished it yet, there's a trap in the secondary in that they don't tell you there's a 500 character limit on all of the 'essay-questions' on there.... I wrote answers out for the 3 applicable questions, pretty short, but still after i went to all the trouble of writing a good response, I got errors that they were too long and had to trim them wwaaaaayyyy down... you can't hardly say ANYTHING in 500 characters, but that's what they want, for some reason. Where are you in undergrad?? How interested in UAB are ya? I'm doing EDP, so if you wind up going there, hopefully I'll see ya next year!
hey,
glad to see some more alabama people on this forum. I'm at Rice University in Houston, TX, but i grew up in Birmingham. UAB is my top choice, and I would have done EDP if my GPA had been high enough. THe bioengineering degree dropped the gpa during my sophomore year, and I haven't been able to bring it back above a 3.6 since then.
that's crazy that they only give you 500 characters to submit. I guess they don't want to see excessive answers (probably like the ones i have written). I guess i'll go back to drawing board....or should i say cutting board. I think my first essay had 1500 and the third had 2000 characters. CRAP! 😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ybbil919 said:For those applying to UAB, are you answering the "Please write anything you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application" question?
yae, i basically said that after spending four years in texas, I'm ready to come home to alabama. (heard that they appreciate students who go out of state to study, but come back to UABSOM)
sunnyjohn said:A mod on SDN! 😀
the secondary questions and PS scare me the most.
sunnyjohn said:A mod on SDN! 😀

I don't think I'd still be that big on SDN in 10 years. Somehow, I don't see myself having time, etc.
I think that these questions are just ensuring that you've taken the time to think about what you may want to do with your life. Same with the, "Why X school?" I think it is to A) make sure you know why you'd want to go to their school, and B) if you haven't already done A, look stuff up and find out.
"In ten years, I hope to be out of school, owing a substantial six-figure sum to University X fpr the fabulous medical training I received there."
boilerbeast said:"In ten years, I hope to be out of school, owing a substantial six-figure sum to University X fpr the fabulous medical training I received there."
think the best answer to give if this was asked in an interview, "i want your job"
I am stressing out about this question 🙁 Everything I write sounds too idealistic and sappy, but how are you supposed to lay out a vision for the future without sounding that way?
And with that question about anything you didn't put on the AMCAS app, what sort of personal interests did you put? It just seems so weird to say something like "I'm really into long walks on the beach..." or whatever.
Could I just use those 500 characters to beg a little? 😉
And with that question about anything you didn't put on the AMCAS app, what sort of personal interests did you put? It just seems so weird to say something like "I'm really into long walks on the beach..." or whatever.
Could I just use those 500 characters to beg a little? 😉
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 807