Where do you start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

when they ask you? (blind interview) ok tell me about yourself!! :eek:

of, I've gone to a good number of interviews...but whenever I am faced with a blind interview of...tell me bout urself...like I dont know whent to start?

do I talk when I was a baby, high school? college...i've tried a different number of formulas...but whent they know absolutely ZILCH about u...kind of hard to talk about ur achievements without boasting.....help, any ideas

mr. watcha

Members don't see this ad.

I start by taking off my shirt and commenting on the size of my pecs...

I guess it must be a very very short interview...if it consists of you talking about your pecs...or maybe the lack of them for that matter.... :p :D

no serious replies please ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm...I would just mention my qualities, where i'm from, etc. you know, the standard stuff.

you might want to keep your shirt on though. :D

well ya...I know they want "qualities"...where to start from? do we need a hookup line like a personal statement? :confused:

I stil havent figured it out what is good... :D

Well, I haven't had to face this yet (which schools do blind interviews?), but I think I would
try to do a summary of my personal essay which basically answered the question "why medicine?" plus throw in some of my most important EC stuff. That's pretty much me!

There was a thread on this a while back, and someone suggested asking your friends to describe you. She said this was very helpful for her.

oh please can someone help.....watcha is so nervous for this interview....yuk...palms sweating :(

I think it's best to start at the beginning of your life...after all, in telling about yourself these early times in life have often defined who you are today. Did you grow up in a "traditional" family atmosphere? Rural or Urban setting? What was your family life like back then? What did you learn from your family life at a young age that has influenced decisions you made during middle/high school? Then progress into motivating factors throughout these years that later led you into choosing your major in college. What activities did you engage in during college? What makes you tick now, as opposed to when you were young?

I find it easiest to develop, before the interview of course, a story that highlights family life, influences, interests...a story that begins at birth. Just make sure you include why you have chosen medicine. It's really hard to come up with a story of your life that can be reiterated in 10 or so minutes. What I did was sit down and write a few important things about my family life, how the rural setting influenced my individuality, and what my motivations were throughout high school and college. Take a couple of hours and try to do this. Then, the night before the interview, review your notes and tell the story to yourself or a friend (I mostly told them to myself as none of my friends travelled with me on my interviews). This way it's fresh in your mind.

Also, include some things that might strike further conversation with the interviewer...often these things are best to conclude with..things like what types of food do you enjoy, are you a sports finatic, books, hobbies, etc. I know this takes time, but believe me...it makes the interview process so much easier. I have been asked this question at 7 different schools (a couple of times I was asked this same question from all three interviewers at the school - both closed file schools), so it's definately one to be prepared for. Hope this helps, and take care.

I have a very interesting, albeit difficult to pronounce, name with an equally interesting story behind it so I chose to start off with that. Inevitably, it led to questions about my family and my upbringing so it was a great way to begin.

How about starting off..."Well sir (or ma'am), I was born at a very early age, so I had the whole world against me, fighting insurmountable obstacles as I kept on reaching for the closest nipple..." Too early? Yeah, I'd start with your most recent and relevent experiences to wow your interviewer, then slowly work back to your less impressive stuff.

"First, the earth cooled..."

"Then, the dinosaurs came..."

"Now, I want to go to med school."

Works every time.

;)

Cheers,
-sb

"First, the earth cooled..."

"Then, the dinosaurs came..."

"Now, I want to go to med school."

Works every time.

;)

Cheers,
-sb

My theory is that they really don't care what your answer is, they're just trying to see if you're a nut or not so just make up anything that does not make you seem abnormal (if possible). :p

HAHAHA...you guys were hilarious...keep postin them....really innovative ideas...