Where does a 500 MCAT stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ok so huge paranoia has been kicking in for me. How much love can someone expect to receive with a 500 MCAT? Is it considered more like a 25 or 26 MCAT on old scale?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 502 and was accepted to MD programs.

Reactions: 2 users
was accepted to an MD program for 2020. However, I ended up withdrawing and am pursuing the DO route this year

For all things holy please explain your rationale for this decision..

Reactions: 7 users
I have a 501 MCAT and was accepted to an MD program for 2020. However, I ended up withdrawing and am pursuing the DO route this year. A 500 MCAT is roughly a 25 on the old scale, and my 501 is roughly a 26.

What was your reasoning behind this?

Hold up! you got into to med school and you declined? For what? Unless you had some serious family or financial issues you shouldn't have declined.

Reactions: 5 users
With a 501, can you say Caribbean?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Did not expecting the caribbean answer lol

But for OP, I have a 502 (128/123/128/123) so I'm in a similar foot

Members don't see this ad :)
Not great, and reject bait at CCOM, my school, the coastal Touros, AZCOM and KCU, but you'll get some love.

WOW, this is surprising considering that I always thought Goro was a faculty member at AZCOM. Alas, the mystery continues...

Reactions: 3 users
I made it into DO with a 501. Applying early and with a good rest of the application one has a fair chance of getting in with a 500.

Reactions: 2 users
Lets refrain from disclosing any information about our volunteer faculty and adcom. Their anonymity here is taken very seriously.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
A 500 is currently at a 53 percentile. Last year a 500 was 51 percentile. For 2013, a 51 percentile was right between a 25 and a 26 on the old scale.
In 2007 a 51 percentile was a 26. Each year the N=(sample size) goes up.
Sources: AAMC website

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think an MCAT score must be paired with a students' GPA's for a complete analysis.

For instance, you would think that a student with a cGPA of 3.2, sGPA of 3.2, and MCAT score of 500 would not be looked at as favorably as one with a 3.5 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and the same 500 MCAT score. The second student still might not get into AZCOM/CCOM and the Touro's, but he/she is still a pretty solid candidate at 10-15 schools. Thoughts, @Goro ?

Was for UofL. It just wasn't the path I wanted to take. The point wasn't a DO vs MD, as there is literally no difference in career chances. It just was not for me. I know its a real shocker here at SDN that someone be accepted MD that isn't 525 MCAT, 3.9GPA. But the reality is that it isn't as hard as most make it out to be. I think the DO career path is what I'm most interested in.

This is a decision that will impact the rest of your life, and I want my goals to best line up with what school I'm going to attend.

That's completely false. Your decision was a terrible one.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 501 MCAT and was accepted to an MD program for 2020. However, I ended up withdrawing and am pursuing the DO route this year.

You want to do general surgery and you were accepted to your state school and opted for a DO school... Interesting

Reactions: 1 user
I think an MCAT score must be paired with a students' GPA's for a complete analysis.

For instance, you would think that a student with a cGPA of 3.2, sGPA of 3.2, and MCAT score of 500 would not be looked at as favorably as one with a 3.5 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and the same 500 MCAT score. The second student still might not get into AZCOM/CCOM and the Touro's, but he/she is still a pretty solid candidate at 10-15 schools. Thoughts, @Goro ?

Am I the only other one curious as to what @CyrusJS gpa's were?

Concur.

Key is to apply broadly.

I got in with a 25 MCAT. My GPA was decent though (cGPA 3.58 sGPA 3.48).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks everyone for the responses, even though it got a little off topic too.

But yea, I also asked because it seems like 501 and/or 26 is a safe-zone as far as MCAT scores go. 25 for the old score seemed to work; 500 is now the "minimum" for most schools when before the minimum was a 24. It's just confusing.

My ideal schools are: WesternU/COMP, CUSOM, NSU-COM, KCUMB, or PCOM (reach?) but definitely applying to just about every school.

Also, as far as high MCAT scores are considered, I'm surprised ppl don't rule out Rowan and a few other schools that also seem to be MCAT heavy, no?

Thanks everyone for the responses, even though it got a little off topic too.

But yea, I also asked because it seems like 501 and/or 26 is a safe-zone as far as MCAT scores go. 25 for the old score seemed to work; 500 is now the "minimum" for most schools when before the minimum was a 24. It's just confusing.

My ideal schools are: WesternU/COMP, CUSOM, NSU-COM, KCUMB, or PCOM (reach?) but definitely applying to just about every school.

Also, as far as high MCAT scores are considered, I'm surprised ppl don't rule out Rowan and a few other schools that also seem to be MCAT heavy, no?
If you are applying to those schools this year I hope you have you app in early! I know one may be bumping the cut off August/Sept just because of volume of apps.

Last edited:
The point wasn't a DO vs MD, as there is literally no difference in career chances

You will think differently when it comes time to match. Goodluck with everything but I think your decision was a poor one.

I'd add in background and experiences into that as well. Someone with a 500 MCAT and 3.25 GPA really does need those clinical volunteer, shadowing, and work experience hours to get more than just past the cutoff and earn an interview. That's why it takes more than just a computer to do admissions.

As the AAMC put it a student at 500 is likely capable of passing, but there is much more to becoming a doctor than just passing exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
how about a 495 MCAT and 3.1 GPA
with EC like every other pre med too

how about a 495 MCAT and 3.1 GPA
with EC like every other pre med too

<500 brings into question one's ability to pass classes/boards.

60% of applicants don't get admitted. With 10,000+ applicants at many schools and ~5000 being 500 and above with a competitive gpa and EC's all competing for 100-300 seats, what reason would they have to select someone who is performing below average? Many have very compelling stories as well. You wouldn't make the automatic cutoffs at many schools. Get you gpa and MCAT up!

I know a URM from my undergrad with a 505 that go 10 MD interviews and 6 MD acceptances, 3 of them being top 20 programs.
Meanwhile a white dude like me with a ~510 got 2 interviews and 18 rejections on the MD side.
We both had same GPA, s3.7/c3.7

how does research fare into this? I have a pretty decent research portfolio. 1 pub in a cell therapy journal, 1 in the annals of surgical oncology, 1 in some random austrian journal. as well as 1 presentation in las vegas, and possibly 1 in san antonio if the abstract gets accepted. stem cell lab before and now breast cancer lab. is this enough to sway a poor GPA (3.14)?

Also with my retakes now, i'm lookin at a 3.35 at the end of summer. with hopefully a high mcat score coming in next week.

Last edited:
how does research fare into this? I have a pretty decent research portfolio. 1 pub in a cell therapy journal, 1 in the annals of surgical oncology, 1 in some random austrian journal. as well as 1 presentation in las vegas, and possibly 1 in san antonio if the abstract gets accepted. stem cell lab before and now breast cancer lab. is this enough to sway a poor GPA (3.14)?

Also with my retakes now, i'm lookin at a 3.35 at the end of summer. with hopefully a high mcat score coming in next week.

Research definitely helps, but you'll likely have to do some GPA repair to be competitive for MD programs...unless you smash your MCAT. How long do you have left until you apply?

Can't speak to DO programs. GPA might be alright with decent MCAT

I know a URM from my undergrad with a 505 that go 10 MD interviews and 6 MD acceptances, 3 of them being top 20 programs.
Meanwhile a white dude like me with a ~510 got 2 interviews and 18 rejections on the MD side.
We both had same GPA, s3.7/c3.7
Yep...In the med school admissions world it does suck to be white or Asian.

I had the equivalent of a 500 on the old MCAT. Applied last cycle, received 6 interviews, 4 acceptances, and declined my last to interview invites. Don't give up faith. Just apply broadly, really focus on your personal statement, and make sure you have things that you set you apart and make you more interesting than people with higher MCATs.

I had the equivalent of a 500 on the old MCAT. Applied last cycle, received 6 interviews, 4 acceptances, and declined my last to interview invites. Don't give up faith. Just apply broadly, really focus on your personal statement, and make sure you have things that you set you apart and make you more interesting than people with higher MCATs.
GPAs?? I have 501&500 but my gpas are also low lol cGPA is 3.34 sGPA 3.29

GPAs?? I have 501&500 but my gpas are also low lol cGPA is 3.34 sGPA 3.29

I believe your EC are great.
My friend who has cGPA 3.36 and sGPA 3.30 with 501 MCAT also got accepted into WesternU.

I believe your EC are great.
My friend who has cGPA 3.36 and sGPA 3.30 with 501 MCAT also got accepted into WesternU.
Thanks! Western is actually only one of the schools im not applying to darn. Hopefully I land an acceptance at a newer school somewhere.

Thanks! Western is actually only one of the schools im not applying to darn. Hopefully I land an acceptance at a newer school somewhere.

Haha. It is hard to get into western, they want gpa 3.6c and 3.56s with 28 mcat.

I got into a few DO schools with a sub-500 MCAT score and average GPAs. I really wanted to do better on the MCAT and it makes me a bit self-conscious to have scored so low, but what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to get in somewhere with that score. I'm glad schools were willing to take a chance on me. For whatever reason, I could not crack that damn test--I was definitely NOT calm throughout the test, lol.