Where does/would getting into med school rank in your all-time happiest moments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thread title

• Top moment

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Top 3

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Top 5

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Top 10

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Not in top 10

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

flatearth22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best moment, Top 3, Top 5, Top 10, or not in the top 10.

Also include other happy moments for context

For me it's top 3 behind when I got my first puppy and when I got to meet my idol, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Members don't see this ad.

Best moment, Top 3, Top 5, Top 10, or not in the top 10.

Also include other happy moments for context

For me it's top 3 behind when I got my first puppy and when I got to meet my idol, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Really? Top moment for me. Haven't been married and don't have any kids though.

Top three behind matching, and getting married...but none of these things have happened yet so it'll probably be the happiest moment of my life when it actually happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 3 for sure.

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

Had a few near death experiences and close family events, so definitely top 5 for me. I am waiting for the privileged "getting into med school isn't really an accomplishment" crew

I have a feeling the white coat ceremony (as in poo your pants excited cause its actually real and actually happening) and matching for residency and fellowship will all trump the feeling after getting your first acceptance. But I don't have any of these yet, so we shall see.

Top 3!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Happiest moment up to that point in my life. But hopefully not the happiest moment of my life. So, top 3.

Getting into med school will be great and all, but, if you do the footwork and apply broadly enough, it is somewhat expected to get in somewhere.

Hopefully, I can get it out of the top 10 within the next 5 years or so. Cheers to happier times.

Last edited:
Top 3-5 I guess. A lot of stuff compete such as family members getting married, pulling through difficult situations, romantic moments etc. Medical school would be pretty high in the sense that I have spent a lot of time making sure I have what it takes to impress medical schools. Although I guess it may change once I get in and it becomes part of my daily life.

A lot of people here say that near death experiences count as one of the happiest moments. I don't really understand this. I know you're happy to be alive but I've had near death experiences and I never really felt any kind of overwhelming joy afterwards. I just feel scared ****less. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Top three, happiest moment was a sporting event my siblings competed with me. We didn't win the competition but the bond I felt with my siblings at that moment is something I'll forever treasure.

Second was a different sporting event, scoring a goal in high school soccer immediately after starting my first game after two major knee ligament reconstructions. Had two braces on my knees and was slow as hell but IDGAF.

Getting in was a close third for me.

I know me getting into medical school is my dad's number 1 happiest moment of his life, as he has told me so. Only one of the two times I have ever seen the guy cry, I'd probably feel the same way about my kids.

I put Top 5. Two of the slots in Top 3 are reserved for getting married and having children, and I just don't think an acceptance has the magnitude to creep into the third slot. Top 5 seems about right.

A lot of great moments happen when you look/think back to the time in which they occurred. But as a single instance, then reading the words on the acceptance letter would definitely be top 3.

I'd say,

Top 5 when I get my admission letter.

Top 50 when I get my first notes packet.

A lot of people here say that near death experiences count as one of the happiest moments. I don't really understand this. I know you're happy to be alive but I've had near death experiences and I never really felt any kind of overwhelming joy afterwards. I just feel scared ****less. :(

That's because there's more than one way to die :laugh:

It would literally be the 5th best moment in my life (up to that point), and a tie at that. The first three are obvious.

1. The birth of my kids (I have 2; 2 1/2 years apart).
3. Marriage
4. Meeting the POTUS
5. Getting accepted to medical school (hypothetical); when I graduated boot camp

Well, perhaps the question isn't specific. Would getting into any school be the same as getting into people's professed "dream schools"? What about getting in with a major scholarship? Etc...

Definitely not top 10, there are so many other cool moments in life worth living for. These "getting accepted moments" are so oversold and overrated. Life's a journey dudes, and it shouldn't hinge on Harvard adcoms opinions about your worth.

Probably #3 for me. A couple high school athletic achievements tied for #1 and praying with Lecrae is #2.

Four years of grinding through a degree at a school that I dislike. Three months of tortured, full-time MCAT study. Hundreds of hours of my life wasted on application-padding activities. Thousands of dollars blown on applications and interviews, funded by years of hard work at jobs that I abhor. It will all be worth it if I get an acceptance. Top moment, definitely.

It's probably my greatest accomplishment, but I've had a lot of happy moments that were totally random.

Probably top ten for me, but it hasn't happened yet and its placement depends a lot on what school it is. Since getting in somewhere is kind of expected, i imagine the moment won't make top 5. If it were UCSF, then maybe...

Top few are probably seeing my mother after surgery and just knowing how much my family cares (yes, I know it's cheesy), The joy of having taught english to children in China, and catching a 550 lbs marlin when I was 5 (at least it was on my line, my dad reeled it in).

Well, perhaps the question isn't specific. Would getting into any school be the same as getting into people's professed "dream schools"? What about getting in with a major scholarship? Etc...

My first acceptance was better than getting in my dream school (which was not my first acceptance).

Definitely not top 10, there are so many other cool moments in life worth living for. These "getting accepted moments" are so oversold and overrated. Life's a journey dudes, and it shouldn't hinge on Harvard adcoms opinions about your worth.

You spend a lot of years and hard work getting there, it shouldn't seem weird it's a big deal for most people...

Also, have you even received an acceptance, yet? How can you judge? :p

It would have been in my top 3, but in all honesty I wasn't very happy with the way I received my decision.

I got an acceptance in late late July, when I was sure I wouldn't get in. I just signed a new 12-month lease on an apartment with my family and made plans to travel around the world with my parents for a few months (basically the last chance I have before I get married next year). Not to mention I retook the MCAT and did very well on my second repeat, and sent in a new application early.

I then got my acceptance which killed all of those plans, and then there was the $55,000 loan. haha~

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I got the acceptance, but it took a few days to sink in~

It would have been in my top 3, but in all honesty I wasn't very happy with the way I received my decision.

I got an acceptance in late late July, when I was sure I wouldn't get in. I just signed a new 12-month lease on an apartment with my family and made plans to travel around the world with my parents for a few months (basically the last chance I have before I get married next year). Not to mention I retook the MCAT and did very well on my second repeat, and sent in a new application early.

I then got my acceptance which killed all of those plans, and then there was the $55,000 loan. haha~

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I got the acceptance, but it took a few days to sink in~

Wow, i hope it was to one of your top choices? I know that if it had been me and it was a school on the bottom of my list, then with an early app and a better mcat, I would have definitely declined, spent the time with my parents and family, and reapplied. But anyway, that sucks but doesn't at the same time haha.

Congrats

Top 3 for sure. My dad didn't even go to college so it was a pretty big deal.

I have a feeling the white coat ceremony (as in poo your pants excited cause its actually real and actually happening) and matching for residency and fellowship will all trump the feeling after getting your first acceptance. But I don't have any of these yet, so we shall see.

Meh, white coat ceremony is the most overrated thing in existence. Match day can be feet if you match somewhere you want to go; there are high highs and low lows. Fellowship is often a handshake thing, so match is nowhere near as big a deal.

Graduating/matching may be in my top 10 moments.

Getting in was just a means to an end.

I don't think it will be that big for me because I feel I'm guaranteed an acceptance a lower tier medical school (not to sound arrogant) and an acceptance somewhere like that won't be that big for me.

An acceptance in to one of my top choices would definitely be a different story.

You spend a lot of years and hard work getting there, it shouldn't seem weird it's a big deal for most people...

Also, have you even received an acceptance, yet? How can you judge? :p

It just looks like a big bragging moment,

"Oh jeepers! I got accepted woooooooh!!! I'm smarter than all of you, I'm gonna be a doctor, I'm now worth more than anyone else! Hurray for me, now I can be condescending all I want!!!!!!"

I'll be happy when I save someone's life, not when I'm going around to the bars/parties/beach bragging about getting accepted (and I'll admit, I will probably do if accepted); I just think it's self-serving to claim this as a top moment when you haven't done anything yet as a future MD.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that I couldn't stop myself from jumping around the room with happiness, and because I can't remember other moments when I felt like that, I'm going to have to say top or top3. It was an indication that my life was about to take a big turn for the better.

Not even top 10…

Live a little longer, get married, have kids (i've got 3). If you are doing it right your family will provide you with "top 10 moments" on a regular basis.

And even if you don't do all this; being accepted to medical school only seems like a good experience till you have to take your first examination.

"Oh jeepers! I got accepted woooooooh!!! I'm smarter than all of you, I'm gonna be a doctor, I'm now worth more than anyone else! Hurray for me, now I can be condescending all I want!!!!!!"

I'll be happy when I save someone's life, not when I'm going around to the bars/parties/beach bragging about getting accepted (and I'll admit, I will probably do if accepted); I just think it's self-serving to claim this as a top moment when you haven't done anything yet as a future MD.

You're the hero SDN needs.

I don't think all people do that. Of course, some people do, but I like to think that most people are happy for reasons other than being able to shove it in to everyone else's face.

If I were to get accepted, I would be jumping for joy because I get the opportunity to achieve the stuff that you mentioned below. After a long journey of difficulty and doubt, I think it's fine to be happy for an acceptance, and not because you can tell everyone that you got accepted.

I am not going to knock you for creating your own greatest memories list, but lay off overshadowing assumptions on mine a bit. I don't exactly walk around town screaming how I am a medical student.... My greatest memories are my own.

I worked my ass of to get into medical school and beat out almost 20K people to get my spot. I would say that's an accomplishment, even if I haven't earned my M.D., yet, but to each their own.

I could use your same logic and say getting your M.D. shouldn't be anyone's greatest memories because that person hasn't done anything yet as they aren't residents. And I could then say completing residency shouldn't be anyone's greatest memory because they aren't even attending yet. My point here is that you should lay off on the judgement a bit.

Besides, almost everybody can make a kid. Pretty simple stuff. ;) (I kid, just trying to relate my point.)

I could use your same logic and say getting your M.D. shouldn't be anyone's greatest memories because that person hasn't done anything yet as they aren't residents. And I could then say completing residency shouldn't be anyone's greatest memory because they aren't even attending yet. My point here is that you should lay off on the judgement a bit.

Besides, almost everybody can make a kid. Pretty simple stuff. ;) (I kid, just trying to relate my point.)

I just have an unorthodox view on life. I think graduation ceremonies are cheesy and getting a degree just seems to be a hoop someone else sets up for me to jump through. I like making my own hoops, and celebrating with myself when I return the favor to society. It's all about perspective, and I should do a better job of respecting others' views on this.

I just have an unorthodox view on life. I think graduation ceremonies are cheesy and getting a degree just seems to be a hoop someone else sets up for me to jump through. I like making my own hoops, and celebrating with myself when I return the favor to society. It's all about perspective, and I should do a better job of respecting others' views on this.

Thank you for being courteous in your response, and I mean that in a not sarcastic way. Too many tools are on here most of the time, nice to have discourse with someone who is not. :)