Other OT-Related Information Where/how did you volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been contacting places with OT's, needing observation and volunteer hours. Every place so far has agreed to give me observation hours, but say there's nothing to really do as a volunteer.

How do you volunteer making the experience related to OT? I don't even know what I'd do. I don't want it to just be like, a receptionist or cleaning toilet's for a nursing home because I doubt that would make sense for the field I'm going into.

Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the location. I observed in 4 settings. In hand therapy, I would get the hot and cold packs for the therapist, observe the sessions, and once I walked an elderly patient to her car.

In sensory integration, I did a lot. I helped when asked to in therapy sessions, prepped materials, cleaned up, helped with admin stuff. Whatever they needed, I did. I also observed a lot too.

In the rehab clinic, I observed a lot, and I would transport patients to/from their rooms (via wheelchair).

In the school setting, I mostly observed. I got to help one student with an activity.

Good luck, and unless you have a lot of opportunities to observe, I say take what you can get. It was hard for me to get hours in four settings.

I did acute inpatient, SNF, hands, and outpatient peds for my observation. If you're referring to the observation and volunteer, I pretty much decided on my application that if it was an experience directly under an OT, it would count as observation hours. Although I would do some volunteer-ish work for my observation sites (cleaning, organizing, moving patients around, etc.), I would still refer to it as observation hours just to keep it simple.

My volunteer hours were things like hospice friendly visitor, cell phone tutoring for older adults, and volunteering in the activities department at a SNF. Volunteer hours are just hours doing stuff that benefit the community without compensation, not necessarily related to OT.

I should add that I was officially called a volunteer when I observed/volunteered in sensory integration. Since it was in OT, it was valuable. I was expected to help but it was in between sessions. I actually got the most out of that experience, and I learned what goes on behind the scenes at a small, community-based OT clinic. I was definitely able to count that as OT observation hours.