Where is pharmacy headed in the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

64microbus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems to be a very common interview question. Obviously there's no definitive answer otherwise it wouldn't be asked. What are some intelligent answers to this question?

Members don't see this ad.

well i would say something related to more clinical demands

Someone's entire DNA on CD with technology that reads and checks for genetic predispositions or any possible interactions on a database. This is to make sure that the medication is the most effective for that individual. I see, the pharmacist interpretting this data, furthering the profession's expertise of medication with a genetic component, and collaborating with physicians in a clinical environment. I think there will be more industry positions available where a pharmacist uses his or her's expertise to get a chemical compound from R & D into the pharmacy, managing every level of this process. Clinically, constant progress where more and more the pharmacist is working with the patient and physician correcting possible errors, finding the best medication for that patient, etc.

I don't know, these are some things that I have read could happen or are already happening. I know I am interested in helping bring pharmacogenomics from research to the patient, something we can actually use to limit interactions, accentuating therapeutic effects. The future of pharmacy is one of the initial reasons I was interested in the field, and is why I am applying right now.

The future is a wide open playing field.

similar to OneDay_9, when i was younger, i used to think pharmacists actually were involved in R&D with the drugs. I though all pharmacists had a bigger role in the production of new and old drugs. In my opinion, it' s possible that with a bit more training, pharmacists can and should do more in the production process of the drugs.