Where is Ross located? dominica or new jersey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found one web site about a ross grad, her profile listed Ross as Edison, NJ.
http://www.nuhs.northwestern.edu/bender.html

:laugh:

maybe we should all start introduce ross as a NJ school. think about it, it is really a US school.

Members don't see this ad.

youngman said:
I found one web site about a ross grad, her profile listed Ross as Edison, NJ.
http://www.nuhs.northwestern.edu/bender.html

:laugh:

maybe we should all start introduce ross as a NJ school. think about it, it is really a US school.

Technically she isn't 'wrong'. Now all I have to do is make sure my medical school has an office in Cambridge, England/Mass:luck: and I will be set!

All that matters is what is in the IMED/WHO directory, and that is Dominica. This is also what goes into all the "official" paperwork (ECFMG, NBME, NRMP, etc.). Ross has an office in Edison, of course, but they aren't "techincally" in Edison (despite the fact that the entire administration is run out of the U.S.). It's like how all of those cruise ships that pick up all their passengers in the U.S. and take you around the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico and elsewhere are all registered in Liberia. They do this to exploit loopholes, just like Ross. Think about it: a lot less than half of your "Caribbean education" actually occurs in the Caribbean.

So, you can't really fault someone for putting Edison, NJ, which is where the school is run and a better surrogate "campus" (in reality) being representative of the greater and more significant portion of a Rossie's medical education than the portion done in Portsmouth, Dominica, West Indies. But, even though one might let it slide, it's still not accurate... even legally (i.e., you'd get blasted in court if you attempted to mischaracterize your school by stating, in your CV or otherwise, that it is "located" in Edison, NJ).

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a bad idea to present ones credentials in this fashion.Its common knowledge in the medical community that Ross is a caribbean medical school,trying to make it appear that one graduated from US med school school in New Jersey when this is not the case,might be said to be an attempt to mislead patients,or "cover up" a deficiency.
This physician has good training and should stand by it.

This person is a fraud and should be ashamed.

ny skindoc said:
Its common knowledge in the medical community that Ross is a caribbean medical school...

I think this is true, but the temptation to put "Edison, NJ" in lieu of "Dominica, West Indies" is born from the public's impression of your degree, not the medical community's.

Case in point.

ny skindoc said:
... trying to make it appear that one graduated from US med school school in New Jersey when this is not the case,might be said to be an attempt to mislead patients,or "cover up" a deficiency.

I agree. But, from the above, can you see why people don't want to put "Dominica" in their CVs? What may be practical and reasonable to the individual may not always be the best course of action. I'd argue that the individual choosing Ross should know what they're getting into before they go in the first place, and should be ready to explain - in detail - their education to anyone who enquires. In reality, this comes up extremely rarely. Out of the hundreds of patients I've individually interacted with one-on-one, I've only been directly asked once where I go to medical school. Then again, I never walk into the room and say, "Hi, my name's Skip. I'm a fourth-year Caribbean medical student..." either.

ny skindoc said:
This physician has good training and should stand by it.

Good training is one thing. Public prejudice, misconception, and bias is another. Taking the path of least resistance, although not always ethically justifiable (or legal, for that matter), is often tempting.

-Skip