Where is/was my first rotation as an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that many of you have gotten or are about to get your schedules. So, let us know where you are starting and if you are on-call your first night? Veterans are welcome to describe what they're first rotation was like as well. Honestly, mine was so long ago (now more than 25 years ago....) that I don't remember it, although I'm sure it was a general wards month.

Hopefully, at least some of you are fortunate enough to be starting in NICU.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I know that many of you have gotten or are about to get your schedules. So, let us know where you are starting and if you are on-call your first night? Veterans are welcome to describe what they're first rotation was like as well. Honestly, mine was so long ago (now more than 25 years ago....) that I don't remember it, although I'm sure it was a general wards month.

Hopefully, at least some of you are fortunate enough to be starting in NICU.:thumbup:

Clinics
NICU
Wards x 2
Well Baby Nursery
Cardiology
Elective (ID for me)
Emergency Room
Wards x 2
PICCU

Glad I'm not tossed into NICU first!:D

I'm starting in the well baby nursery

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting in the well baby nursery

Great place to start! Relatively low pressure too...

and, I hereby announce, by official fiat that you and all of the soon-to-be-interns can change your SDN "Status" to "Resident" :p

Who cares EXACTLY when you graduate! You did it:thumbup:

Great place to start! Relatively low pressure too...

and, I hereby announce, by official fiat that you and all of the soon-to-be-interns can change your SDN "Status" to "Resident" :p

Who cares EXACTLY when you graduate! You did it:thumbup:

Does that mean, I can change mine too as an upcoming 4th year :smuggrin:

Sweet!!!! Totally doing that right now :cool:

I have no schedule yet, but I will post when I know what my first rotation is!!

Not until after you've completed the mandatory 4th year rotations in derm and rads. ;). Have you decided if you're doing FM or Pedi.

I "eased" into residency by starting with pediatric dermatology. :) Unfortunately, while I had a very pleasant July, it did not prepare me well for the next month in our intermediate ICU/step-down unit.

Not until after you've completed the mandatory 4th year rotations in derm and rads. ;). Have you decided if you're doing FM or Pedi.

I know, I heard 4th year can be tough!:scared: ;)

As for FM vs. Peds...I do a sub-I in peds to start 4th year, and a FM sub-I to follow. Hopefully that will help sort out things. I love peds, but I love the flexibility of FM :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro floor with Marigold!

I'm on Heme/Onc with Texas Rose. I guess I'm glad that I'm not starting out on NICU, but I'm really bummed out about the fact that I'll be in the NICU over Christmas. It seems like all the other people whose schedules I look at (in my program) are in the clinics or have Christmas off or have some sort of lighter schedule over December. What I'm really sad about is that I'm pretty sure that this means that, even if I'm not on call, I won't be able to be around at all to see my daughter, who will be 6, on Christmas. And it's not like the hospital I'll be at (our county hospital, not the nice children's hospital) will be a nice place for her to come visit me that day.

I'm on Heme/Onc with Texas Rose. I guess I'm glad that I'm not starting out on NICU, but I'm really bummed out about the fact that I'll be in the NICU over Christmas. It seems like all the other people whose schedules I look at (in my program) are in the clinics or have Christmas off or have some sort of lighter schedule over December. What I'm really sad about is that I'm pretty sure that this means that, even if I'm not on call, I won't be able to be around at all to see my daughter, who will be 6, on Christmas. And it's not like the hospital I'll be at (our county hospital, not the nice children's hospital) will be a nice place for her to come visit me that day.
Actually, unless you're on call that day, the hours are short. I just did a sub-I there and the interns were leaving at lunch time most days. For Christmas day, I'm sure the attendings and fellow will be getting people out as early as possible. I'm on OP clinic at the county, but also the EC in December. *shrug* C'est la vie.

i actually requested to be in the NICU early, because i didnt want to be in there during the dec-feb blahs..., and if i don't enjoy it, it'll at least be out of the way...

of course, when all the residents are getting to know each other and having fun at nights getting acquainted, i'll be sorry i imagine

My first rotation (which was 2 months) of this year was vascular surgery. That was a trial by fire, but I'm really glad I had our hardest rotation first.

Rumor has it, I'll be starting in either NICU or nursery this year. On the one hand, it'd be nice to start in nursery just because it's a bit more low-key that what I've been doing for the past year and I could use a rest, on the other hand, I've now had 5 months of ICU experience this year and can see them putting me in the NICU in July. Either way, I just can't wait to start!

I'm looking forward to starting my last year of residency this July. Don't have my schedule yet, but I sure hope I get what I requested. I'm down to only 4 more months of call total (3 wards and one NICU) remaining. Time sure flies when you're having fun :hardy:

P.S. My first intern month was in the Peds ER. Lots of burns, cuts, and supracondylar fractures that month.

I started in the level 2 nursery and was on call. We ended up staying awake all night doing an exchange transfusion for a kid who's bili shot up to 30. I'd never been more tired.

I'm glad it was there and not the NICU, because once I learned the calculations, everything went smoothly. Plus I had a great senior, who really helped us out.

Starting on team that does Pulm/Nephro/Endo...all stuff i dont know squat about! :D

Guess I should read up on some stuff before it starts...

Starting on team that does Pulm/Nephro/Endo...all stuff i dont know squat about! :D

Guess I should read up on some stuff before it starts...

Have some fun....

Ask the pulmonary folks and the nephro folks whether loop diuretics are more important for the lungs or the kidneys. Report back to the cardiologists and neonatologists.

then ask the nephro and the endo folks about how to dose and monitor supplemental vitamin D.

Bet they don't agree on much!

I started my very first day as a resident on call for the General Ward. It was the one and only day I wanted to cry in residency (at work).

It was much better the 2nd day.

I started my very first day as a resident on call for the General Ward. It was the one and only day I wanted to cry in residency (at work).

It was much better the 2nd day.

Wow, did you do a Pedi-SubI??? I though my pedi-subI will prepare me well enough, . . . but I'm sure there is a good possibility I will feel like I'm drowning . . .

Wow, did you do a Pedi-SubI??? I though my pedi-subI will prepare me well enough, . . . but I'm sure there is a good possibility I will feel like I'm drowning . . .

Nothing really prepares you except for doing it. Everyone feels the same, so just remember that. And for the most part, people expect you to need help, so ask. :)

I did both a peds sub-I and a surgery sub-I my fourth year of med school. If pediatric internship is even remotely similar to my surgery internship, then the sub-I really isn't going to be much preparation. Also, again assuming the internships are remotely similar, that's going to be okay.

Just be prepared to be a bumbling idiot. I wasn't expected to know much in July as a surgery intern, but I was expected to ask and/or know how to look things up.

Oh, I'm starting in the wards. Yay!

I guess I'll be able to say I started on NICU and not be lying about it (as OBP suggests). I am actually excited about it though. It'll be rough, but I think we'll be well supervised there with all the NPs and fellows around, in addition to the attendings. Any suggestions on what to read to prepare for it, or a good reference to carry around during NICU rotation ?

I am almost done with residency - just a week and a half to go of PICU then neuro for 3 weeks!!! weeee!!!!

I started with outpatient. I was given some leeway, I think, because I had a 3 month old baby and was pumping all the time, so my second month was easy, too, in cardiology. I was on call the 3rd day of residency (a Sunday), so I had to write notes and everything! It was not too scary, just exciting. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years.

I am almost done with residency -

Me too - 5 more weeks to go (the last two on hospital senioring, so it won't feel like it's almost over until it really and totally is)!

I started on the general peds hospital service and was on call the very first day. My senior was great, though, and helped me write notes etc., even let me do an LP that they hadn't been able to get in the ER :)

My first month will be in the emergency department. Pretty good way to start!

I'm starting on pediatric ER...so I guess it will be a nice transition into residency.

just started residency orientation and got my schedule....starting in the outpatient clinic. :)

I started in the ED.

My first patient was a 3 year old w/ a facial lac. His mom started going on and on about how grateful she was that it was the end of June and not the beginning of July because she knew how all the new doctors started July 1. So after her 5 minute spiel on her fear of new doctors, she asked me how long I'd been working there. I looked at the clock and said, "oh, about 3 hours..." Needless to say, while he was my first patient, he was not my first lac repair.

I started in the ED.

My first patient was a 3 year old w/ a facial lac. His mom started going on and on about how grateful she was that it was the end of June and not the beginning of July because she knew how all the new doctors started July 1. So after her 5 minute spiel on her fear of new doctors, she asked me how long I'd been working there. I looked at the clock and said, "oh, about 3 hours..." Needless to say, while he was my first patient, he was not my first lac repair.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I started in the ED.

My very first day as a clinical med student I was on the night shift in the surgery EC. I did my first lac repair that night on a guy's face and no one bothered to tell him just how inexperienced I was. :eek: I was just grateful he didn't look like Frankenstein when I was done!

First time I ever put stitches in someone who wasn't under general anesthesia was on trauma surgery three weeks into my third year. 16 year-old in the ER with parents and brother looking over my shoulder. Fun times.

Start on the Floor in eight days. I'll fill ya'll in when I stop crying.

p

FINALLY found out where I start....GI!! Then surgery :confused: for two weeks. Wasn't prepared for that one....

Guess it was all on AmIOn.com and they never told us....:D

Full term nursery :thumbup:

Congrats to all the interns! This year will go by so fast your head will spin! I am on the down hill slide with only 12 more months to go. And that light at the end of the tunnel? It really is the end of the tunnel, and not a big fast locomotive coming straight at me ;). Good luck all, and don't forget about all of us SND friends here.

so this steep learning curve everyone keeps talking about-- i suppose i'm on it, but when do i get to feel that i am functioning like a capable entity and stop feeling like an idiot? not 3 days huh?

though, i have to say, having one call under my belt is a nice thing...

Agreed, m1234d. At least we can be idiots together and help each other out so maybe it doesn't look SO bad? lol.

so this steep learning curve everyone keeps talking about-- i suppose i'm on it, but when do i get to feel that i am functioning like a capable entity and stop feeling like an idiot? not 3 days huh?

though, i have to say, having one call under my belt is a nice thing...

Hi m1234d and all,

Yay, I survived my first call this weekend :) And I wrote my first medication order (without needing a co-sign!). Unfortunately, it was for methodone (I'm on newborn), so I don't feel all that empowered or happy about it...

[sigh] I feel like there are so many OBSTACLES (ie, the computer system, paging system, logins/passwords, paper forms, "How do I do/find/look up this thing???") that I need to overcome before even starting to think about applying clinical knowledge...

[sigh] I feel like there are so many OBSTACLES (ie, the computer system, paging system, logins/passwords, paper forms, "How do I do/find/look up this thing???") that I need to overcome before even starting to think about applying clinical knowledge...

Agreed. But we'll get there. I feel like this week has been all about survival!

i agree, i'm glad to report that this week is better. i still don't feel anywhere close to efficient (i am not expecting to during week 2), but i'm definitely a lot less disoriented...

I am starting in the peds ED too, and this first week and a half has been a ton of fun. I was super nervous but everyone has been really helpful and I get to do alot of procedures. I never would have thought 1 week into residency I would be pseudo comfortable doing an LP. I mean don't get me wrong I do feel clueless most of the time, but its ok. Good luck to everyone:)

I started in the Adolescent Clinic which has been great. The first week was difficult with learning new computer systems and how to be fast at dictation. While I'm still working on efficiency my 2nd week, I'm getting to enjoy the clinic more (rather than dealing with paper). I also cover in the ED and our Short Stay Unit. I've done some ED shifts and like the clinic, lots of great experiences.