Where Pharmacy is Headed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people seem to be questioning the change in pre-reqs for schools and I thought I would offer some explanation. This is a topic that I have discussed at large with many people over the last two years or so and it may provide some insight of the changes to come.

If anything it'll give you something to consider when a similar question is asked during an interview.

http://www.iwanttobeapharmacist.com/2009/11/future-of-pharmacy.html

Members don't see this ad.

Many people seem to be questioning the change in pre-reqs for schools and I thought I would offer some explanation. This is a topic that I have discussed at large with many people over the last two years or so and it may provide some insight of the changes to come.

If anything it'll give you something to consider when a similar question is asked during an interview.

http://www.iwanttobeapharmacist.com/2009/11/future-of-pharmacy.html

Well written and level headed information here ^

Just thought I'd comment, I enjoyed your blog by the way.

I'm not sure I agree with you about how we've "tapped out" the available compounds. There are so many biochemical processes happening in the body that we don't fully understand yet. The body is an amazing machine and I think it's going to be a long time before we ever truly understand it. There are receptors that we're not even sure what they do yet, so how can you be certain there isn't a "simple chemical compound" that fits nicely in one of these receptors that may improve someone's quality of life?

I think that pharmacogenomics are going to play a huge role in the future. We just had Dr. Evans (St. Jude's Hospital) lecture to us about this and he brought up a lot of interesting points. Basically you can tailor a medication to a specific patient based upon their genetic makeup. Even older medications can find new life through the use of appropriate dosing. The tests required for genetic profiling are getting less and less expensive and I believe it will play a more important role in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I agree with you about how we've "tapped out" the available compounds. There are so many biochemical processes happening in the body that we don't fully understand yet. The body is an amazing machine and I think it's going to be a long time before we ever truly understand it. There are receptors that we're not even sure what they do yet, so how can you be certain there isn't a "simple chemical compound" that fits nicely in one of these receptors that may improve someone's quality of life?

I'm not saying we're completely tapped out, but gone are the days when you'll see 100+ NDAs filed yearly using those type of compounds. The ease of discovering a novel drug in this manner is growing more and more difficult. That's what I meant by that.

I had a discussion with the dean from the University of Utah and he is convinced that nano-technology is going to play a major role in the delivery of pharmaceuticals in the future. He says students should be focusing on physics and biochemistry if they want an edge. He things the old way of delivering drugs that have complicated systemic side effects will be a thing of the past in 2 to 3 decades.

Just thought I'd comment, I enjoyed your blog by the way.

I think that pharmacogenomics are going to play a huge role in the future. We just had Dr. Evans (St. Jude's Hospital) lecture to us about this and he brought up a lot of interesting points. Basically you can tailor a medication to a specific patient based upon their genetic makeup. Even older medications can find new life through the use of appropriate dosing. The tests required for genetic profiling are getting less and less expensive and I believe it will play a more important role in the future.

Interesting ... Makes me really excited for pharmacy school. :):thumbup: