Where Should I Apply?? Advice PLEASE =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasdoc1999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
w/ step 1 score 249, almost all P's from a top 20 school w/ Honors, minimal activities, minimal research, and really nutting special on applications, what type of places should I apply for? Any chance for Cali/Oreg/Wash Residency Spots? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

gasdoc1999 said:
w/ step 1 score 249, almost all P's from a top 20 school w/ Honors, minimal activities, minimal research, and really nutting special on applications, what type of places should I apply for? Any chance for Cali/Oreg/Wash Residency Spots? Thx

Get good letters and you have a shot everywhere, you might not get in or and interview, but you should end up somewhere you like.

gasdoc1999 said:

And stop nutting on your applications.

I'm sorry, did I read that wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
you will definitely get interviews. Once there, you will have to find something that makes you unique. Progs like OHSU and VM receive tons of apps with 99 two digit scores for the step 1. OHSU received 120 with 99s out of I think 600 total...

UW is easier because of their larger prog, maybe...

And the nutting thing, that will not get you in, it will get you off though

Trisomy13 said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah... nutting on the application definitely won't help. LOL!!

Trisomy13 said:

Wut bout CALI programs?? Any in particular that I should apply to? Wut can i do to strengthen my application?

to strengthen your application, i would suggest not nutting on it. just my 2 cents. hahaa. these jokes can go on forever...

gasdoc1999 said:

I had something similar to you (step score 230's, barely any honors and no high-pass grades, minimal research). The lack of honors is a stumbling block, but nonetheless I interviewed at most top programs I applied to, and matched very well. You should have no problem. You may have done minimal activities, but sell them as if you've done a lot!

If you want to match West coast, I highly suggest doing a west coast rotation. That's about all you can do.

Just some added info for the original poster and other applicants to digest at their leisure/own risk:

1. Where I'm Coming From: I am a fourth year at a US News top 5 school, with an anesthesia program consistently identified on this website as one of the top four or five programs (please note, I went to an unheralded undergraduate institution, and understand/agree with criticisms of these rankings--this ranking does, however, verify that NIH funding here is greater than some countries' GNPs...)

2. What I Know: I recently sat down with both the PD and the chairman of anesthesia, and both had the exact same opening line of questions in this exact order--how did you do in third year? how did you do on your boards?--upon which their appraisals of my competiveness at various programs were based, i.e. the PD told me to "pick any city you want" based on these TWO facts...

3. What I Took this to Mean: I think that PDs are salivating at the increasing competitiveness and qualifications of applicants, and are interested in buffing their stats regarding academic acheivement and average board scores. I very much felt that, in their assessment of me, THE most important questions were the two above. There was no question about research activity, volunteer work, etc. In fact, in a second meeting with the chairman regarding doing some research in the department, he had no recollection of me, my face, or the fact that I spent an entire day in the OR with him two weeks previously--my entire existence, really. He did, however, blurt an "oh, yes, of course!" when he re-asked me the above two questions, in particular my Step 1 score...

4. Bottom Line: I agree with the poster that said third year performance, strong LORs, and a good board score (230-240+) will command at least an interview at all the top programs. Research and volunteer activities are nice on paper, arguably can be used for helping to decide between two equal candidates, but will not fetch an interview for an applicant with average grades and boards.

120/600 with 99's??? wow are all the smart kids going into anesthesia or what??? LOL

gasdoc1999 said:
How many places to apply to??

15-20. 20 max unless you have serious warning signs in your application (flunked classes, academic warning, probation for cheating).