Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memsak00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
everywhere and cross your fingers with those GPA numbers. MCAT ok. You cannot be picky. You need a great essay to compliment the application. It will be a steep mountain to climb. You do not have the luxury to be choosy. Expect to have to move.

Reactions: 1 user
@cabinbuilder hit the nail on the head. Apply liberally. Best chance at staying close to the tristate would be LECOM-E, and by then, you'd be nearly as far away as WVCOM or UNECOM, both of which would consider your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
@cabinbuilder hit the nail on the head. Apply liberally. Best chance at staying close to the tristate would be LECOM-E, and by then, you'd be nearly as far away as WVCOM or UNECOM, both of which would consider your app.

What about tourocom-ny? Or pcom? Or less likely nycom?

All three would be towards the higher end of the spectrum. Less NYCOM, than TUCOM and PCOM. Rowan is up there too.

If you can get your MCAT to the 30-32 range, I would argue that you would definitely be, at the very least, considered for an interview by all those schools. With a 26-28 and your GPA, it would be unlikely (not impossible) for them to look at the rest of your application.

For some precedence, I applied with a ~3.0 GPA and a 27 MCAT this cycle with a similar record of EC's. I had ii's from 3 schools (ACOM, LMU and Nova) and have yet to hear anything from all of the tri-state schools I applied to.

What about tourocom-ny? Or pcom? Or less likely nycom?

With those stats, you should get in, but like others have said, don't get your hopes up that you'll have lots of options. MCAT will be right around average for DO matriculants, so with the lower GPA your options might be limited. Apply to all of them in the tristate area, but know that PCOM will likely be out of reach, NYCOM might as well, Touro-NY loves high MCATs, but might also be tough, and Rowan-SOM is usually out of reach unless you are excellent or a NJ resident.

With the bad news out of the way, lots of places will still look at you, and as I said, you should be fine if you apply early and broadly. Also, who knows, you might get some love from the tristate area, just don't bank on it. That said, if you can at all bring your MCAT up to 30, that could be a game changer.

I say apply to about twelve colleges with only 4 being high stat places. Don't forget to apply to newer programs too.

LECOM, Both NY Touros, NYCOM, PCOM

3.26 cgpa ( grade replacement) 3.13 sgpa (thanks again grade replacement), potentially 26-28 mcat, 7 years of real world job experience helping mentally challenged children as a teachers aide, worked in a dental office for 3 years, volunteered at a cat adoption shelter for a year, 3 semesters research biochem lab, 200 hours volunteering n the ER, 50 hours shadowing an md, potentially another 50 hours shadowing a DO, documented psych disability.

Anyone? I'm hoping the ny tristate area.

Apply to most, if not all of the newer schools and as many established schools as you can afford.

LECOM, Both NY Touros, NYCOM, PCOM

Just realized this was a "where should I apply" thread and not a "what are my chances (for the tristate area)" thread, so my previous post was not helpful at all. I second Goro's list.

If you have more money, throw in some of the newer schools as a backup.

Apply to at least 12-15, and make most of them newer schools and more southern schools.

Forget about UNECOM, CCOM, KCUMB, WesternU, and longtime established, high GPA seeking schools.

Pardon me but is Rowan subpar as an MD school? Im a 3.5/30 so I know I want to apply to most of the top DOs, I just dont know if I should do Rowan and NYMC etc as well...very conflicted and confused at the moment.

This is all really encouraging thanks everyone.

Last edited: