Quantcast

Where should I apply?

Join BeMo Premed MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NovMSScr

Reaction score
I know I see a lot of other people with identical posts but different metrics so I figured I would give this a shot. I'm a Michigan State University Microbiology Grad with a 30 on my MCAT, a 3.63 cGPA, and a 3.6 sGPA. To be fair and honest my extra-curriculars are poor: ~100 hours as an ED Volunteer, I shadowed a surgeon for a day, summer employment since high school, worked an on-campus job a year, volunteered as a elementary school tutor for a semester, worked with a program called Destination Detroit where we visited a Detroit school and discussed college with the kids but this was only one day, and finally I'll be working as a Medical scribe for my entire gap year so that will be around ~2400 "clinical hours" by August 2016. I would like to stay close to home but I'd like to be a doctor more. I'm just not really sure how to decide where to apply and any help would be greatly appreciated.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I see a lot of other people with identical posts but different metrics so I figured I would give this a shot. I'm a Michigan State University Microbiology Grad with a 30 on my MCAT, a 3.63 cGPA, and a 3.6 sGPA. To be fair and honest my extra-curriculars are poor: ~100 hours as an ED Volunteer, I shadowed a surgeon for a day, summer employment since high school, worked an on-campus job a year, volunteered as a elementary school tutor for a semester, worked with a program called Destination Detroit where we visited a Detroit school and discussed college with the kids but this was only one day, and finally I'll be working as a Medical scribe for my entire gap year so that will be around ~2400 "clinical hours" by August 2016. I would like to stay close to home but I'd like to be a doctor more. I'm just not really sure how to decide where to apply and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just work on your EC's and apply to MD schools. Don't rule those out. Maybe not University of Michigan SOM but I'd say all the others are fair game.

For DO programs I'd say all of them are open for you to apply to and you should def. consider applying to MSUCOM. But again, you have the stats to get into an MD program so do not rule those out!

Good luck!

db4277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

MSUCOM lets you meet with an admissions counselor to talk about your application before you apply. I met with Katherine Ruger April of 2014 and she was so reassuring and helpful, after talking with her I felt more confident about my application. I was accepted in October. They also have a very strong in-state bias, so being a Michigander will seriously help you out.

NovMSScr

Reaction score
Just work on your EC's and apply to MD schools. Don't rule those out. Maybe not University of Michigan SOM but I'd say all the others are fair game.

For DO programs I'd say all of them are open for you to apply to and you should def. consider applying to MSUCOM. But again, you have the stats to get into an MD program so do not rule those out!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's funny that you said maybe not U of M because that's actually the only MD school in the state that I'm not applying to. As of now MSUCOM is the only 'for sure' DO school on my list, I'm also looking at KCUMB-COM, OU-HCOM, MWU/CCOM, MU-COM, and LECOM

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your feedback. It's funny that you said maybe not U of M because that's actually the only MD school in the state that I'm not applying to. As of now MSUCOM is the only 'for sure' DO school on my list, I'm also looking at KCUMB-COM, OU-HCOM, MWU/CCOM, MU-COM, and LECOM

Glad to assist!

Good choice for the definite MSUCOM choice for DO.

I would do CCOM, OUHCOM, KCU, Nova, Touro-CA, MUCOM if you apply to additional backups.

Good luck!

adrian710

Reaction score
Would not do OU-COM bc they like MSUCOM have very instate bias

pericardium

CPR certified
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How about MSUCHM and MSUCOM to start off? Your stats are excellent and I'd say your chances are great. Maybe throw in a few other higher end DO schools like CCOM, DMU, KCUMB and you should be good.

NovMSScr

Reaction score
Glad to assist!

Good choice for the definite MSUCOM choice for DO.

I would do CCOM, OUHCOM, KCU, Nova, Touro-CA, MUCOM if you apply to additional backups.

Good luck!
Thanks for the support! I have one more question, I don't have a DO letter at this time and it would be somewhat challenging to get one since I don't know a DO. I have an MD letter and none of the schools I'm applying to require a DO letter. Should I worry?

mathnerd88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No. You shouldn't worry as long as you can explain why you want to be a do specifically.