Where should I do rotations and apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student at a top 20 school interested in the field of anesthesiology I am interested in knowing where I stand as far as application and programs I have a 227 on step I and have yet to take step II and honors in a few courses. I am interested in Colorado and New Mexico programs any help??

Members don't see this ad.

Well let's see...you should definitely be considering what are, in my opinion, by far the top 2 programs in those 2 states: U Colorado & UNM.

I am a third year medical student at a top 20 school interested in the field of anesthesiology I am interested in knowing where I stand as far as application and programs I have a 227 on step I and have yet to take step II and honors in a few courses. I am interested in Colorado and New Mexico programs any help??

Well let's see...you should definitely be considering what are, in my opinion, by far the top 2 programs in those 2 states: U Colorado & UNM.

ROTFL :laugh:

That totally cracks me up :D

(no offense narcusprince)

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant what types of programs should I be looking at top tier mid tier low tier community? And are there students at top tier schools with my current stats?

You have a good Step 1 and good grades. You should be more than competitive for many top tier programs -- I'd apply to a bunch of top tier and a few middle tier programs.

I would not apply to more than 20 (max) unless you have a red flag in your record (probation, failed class, etc). I say that just because you will be exhausted by the time you interview at your 10th program and I'm assuming you would get at least 15 offers out of a total 20 places applied to. Some people would disagree and say apply more, choose later -- but it depends on whether you want to feel safe and turn them down later, or whether you want to save money on applying and traveling expenses.

You have a good Step 1 and good grades. You should be more than competitive for many top tier programs -- I'd apply to a bunch of top tier and a few middle tier programs.

I would not apply to more than 20 (max) unless you have a red flag in your record (probation, failed class, etc). I say that just because you will be exhausted by the time you interview at your 10th program and I'm assuming you would get at least 15 offers out of a total 20 places applied to. Some people would disagree and say apply more, choose later -- but it depends on whether you want to feel safe and turn them down later, or whether you want to save money on applying and traveling expenses.

I'll be the first to disagree that 20 might is enough to apply to. I'm not sure the OP will be getting 15 interviews. I've heard from at least two programs this year with a Step 1 cutoff of 225. OP's barely squeaking in. Read the JHU thread. Median 233. Psychos with >260. I don't think anyone these days should be skimping on applying to the mids with a 227 Step 1.

Sure, OP will match, and he'll get some good spots, but I'd feel better applying to more than 20. It's like $10 a hit after 20.

Where can you find out which schools are top tier middle tier and lower tier?

From what I can tell on the SDN ranking system, if its private and the associated undergraduate college is very difficult to get in, its top tier. If its called University of (Insert State), then its middle tier. If you never heard of it, its lower tier.

It would aslo be interesting to know your own personal ranking system which allowed you to figgure out that you are presently at a "top 20 school"

Good luck, and judge your programs by the things that really matter to you.

The ranking system that I had used was according to the US medical school ranking system that they publish each year but its not broken down into tiers just numbers.