Where should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4r45553j

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on where they want to go to vet school.

I never thought I'd have as many options as I do. My top three choices right now are Penn (in-state), Florida and Tufts. (I've gotten acceptances from Penn and Florida and have an interview coming up at Tufts).

My thoughts are that it makes the most sense for me to go to Penn. It's close to home, in-state tuition/cheaper, and is high ranked and has a really great reputation in my area where I hope to work in the future. Florida; however, is so pretty, has a lot of really cool programs and certificate options, and students seem happier there. My hesitations for Penn are that, with two campuses, it seems like a pain in the butt to go from one place to another especially since I have interests in both large animal and small animal medicine. Living in Philadelphia, I would have to travel almost an hour if I wanted to participate in a large animal club or activity. Just from what I've seen, Penn's focus seems mostly on large and small animals, but UF seems to have a much more diverse program (wildlife, aquatics, shelter, vet business, international vet med...etc). Also, I'm not sure if this is true, and maybe it's just my perception, but ivy league schools seem a little bit more intense/less friendly (i'm sorry if that offended anyone). Penn is my top choice for school for a lot of reasons (money, convenience, prestige, making my family happy...), but it doesn't really feel like my dream school. Truth is, I never expected to get in there, but since I did and I almost feel obligated to go there. I'm wondering if someone out there can convince me why I should go one place or the other. Honestly though, I am very adaptable and can be happy anywhere.

Also, I might be interested in doing a residency in pathology, and I know Penn has a strong path program, but in my interview, they told me that most students take residencies at other schools. My fear is that at point in my life, I won't want to go far away. Is it better for me to go to vet school far away and pursue a residency at Penn, or go to Penn and cross that bridge when I come to it?

Are there any Florida or Penn students out there who can tell me more about life at your prospective schools or current applicants who are also trying to decide where you want to go?

I don't meant to complain because I know a lot of you out there are still waiting to hear back from schools/getting rejections, so I almost feel bad posting this. I don't mean to complain about having options. Really, any school is great, and I'm so grateful to be in this position of having choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are at least a couple of threads on how to make the decision on where to attend and at least one with school-specific input from members.

Most people here will probably tell you to go in-state for the express purpose of minimizing your debt load.

There are at least a couple of threads on how to make the decision on where to attend and at least one with school-specific input from members.

Most people here will probably tell you to go in-state for the express purpose of minimizing your debt load.

Yeah, that's like one of the main reasons I feel like it would be silly to go anywhere but my in-state school. Thanks for the input. Can you possibly link me to those threads?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the end, the decision is really up to you.

In this case, I feel like the $$$ factor isn't as big of a deal (I haven't compared costs recently though) since Penn is expensive to begin with.

As for the lack of friendliness, I definitely don't think that's true. We all help each other out and invite anyone to pretty much anything we're doing...whether it's a party, dinner or going to a movie. Many of us form IM sports teams to have fun and meet other students. Around exam time, we're all lending each other study guides, notes, flash cards, etc. You have the occasional cut throat person, but the class as a whole really stands behind on another.

As for other areas of interest, we definitely have opportunities even though we might not have certificate programs. We have a super active shelter medicine club and a connection with a wildlife clinic in DE if that's your interest. We send groups to Thailand, the Galapagos, etc throughout the summer. Students have the opportunities to do research in India, China, etc over the summer. We reserve like 8 spots every summer in the Aqua Vet program for Penn students alone. We also offer a VBMA certificate if you want the business side of things.

Feel free to PM if you want more specifics. Just wanted to touch on a few things quickly.

ETA: I actually love Tufts and would have strongly considered them if I had gotten in. The location was really the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of. I didn't apply to UF but did a drive-by tour and really wasn't a fan of the area. I like that they had a veterinary entomology department though.

Reactions: 1 user
In the end, the decision is really up to you.

In this case, I feel like the $$$ factor isn't as big of a deal (I haven't compared costs recently though) since Penn is expensive to begin with.

As for the lack of friendliness, I definitely don't think that's true. We all help each other out and invite anyone to pretty much anything we're doing...whether it's a party, dinner or going to a movie. Many of us form IM sports teams to have fun and meet other students. Around exam time, we're all lending each other study guides, notes, flash cards, etc. You have the occasional cut throat person, but the class as a whole really stands behind on another.

As for other areas of interest, we definitely have opportunities even though we might not have certificate programs. We have a super active shelter medicine club and a connection with a wildlife clinic in DE if that's your interest. We send groups to Thailand, the Galapagos, etc throughout the summer. Students have the opportunities to do research in India, China, etc over the summer. We reserve like 8 spots every summer in the Aqua Vet program for Penn students alone. We also offer a VBMA certificate if you want the business side of things.

Feel free to PM if you want more specifics. Just wanted to touch on a few things quickly.

Thank you! This is awesome :) I'm very interested in how you came to decide on Penn based off of other schools you were accepted to. I'm in school in DE now, so I'm familiar with the wildlife clinic. It's nice to hear that everyone is supportive and friendly-that's very important! (and I understand you'll have the occasional cut throat no matter where you go) Was curious about traveling to New Bolton to from University City if you have a large animal interest. What are the logistics? The aquavet program sounds cool! Where can I learn more about it?

One other thing--- do you feel like you have enough opportunity to do surgeries? At my Florida interview, students were saying how they've done like 30 surgeries already by 3rd year just through club activities and classes. At Penn, they really only mentioned the spay done in 3rd year. Are there more opportunities for surgery experience?