Where should I go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkypinky2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently got accept from buffalo and USC. I know that buffalo is a great school with good program, but I do not like "cold weather". Rumor said USC students did not do well on the board exam. What's the ranking to USC??? I can not decide where to go. Even though my family wants me to stay in Cali, but I am still hesitate...any suggestion??:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC is a good school. I would suggest there. The lowest rankings on the boards just seems like a gossip. Unless anyone has real evidence which I have never seen, its just talk. USC has a great reputation. It is super super snowy in Buffalo

I'm guessing because it's cold and expensive.

New York is only cold in the winter and NYC in the winter is a special place, so it's not a big deal. He is considering Buffalo.. a lot colder than NYC.

And USC is more expensive than NYU? I dont see any of your points.

Buffalo - weather sucks, cheaper, good board scores.

Weather vs cost... hm.. weather vs cost (Eric Cartman accent).

On the serious side, I think there is much more to any school than just weather and cost. My subjective opinion would be going to USC. =)

USC is 100% PBL... does that suit you?

The USC Dental School does not have a good reputation, I dont know who suggested it does (my apologies to any USC students). I admit this is hearsay, but I have it on good authority that a lot of their class graduated late because they couldnt finish the clinical requirements on time. And it is the most expensive dental school anywhere. Tuition plus rent is outrageous. I wouldn't even consider it unless you were on the military scholarship.

Buffalo sounds fine. Rent is cheap and the school sounds decent. If those were my only choices I would choose Buffalo in a second. Scratch that, in a nano-second.

get a northface and go to buffalo

If cost is not an issue... why not go to a warm cali school? HELL I WOULD!

But look more in depth into the school, cirriculum, and if PBL is for you at USC if you do decide to go there. And just know you should work a little harder to pass your boards and prepare... and you will do fine.

This is not to put down ANY USC student, but some say the reason they don't pass those is because since not many people wanna go there... due to cost... they are forced to keep picking from their waitlist and interviewing more people (thus "less qualified" people)... and that could be a reason. But it may also be their cirriculum. But for those who are qualified, work hard, and do well.... what's the prob??

I mean, if it was the only school I got into, I'D GO!! And on paper I look less qualified than those with higher GPAs.... whos to say I wouldn't be a better dentist though? I am going in circles because it may just be a moot point.

Do some research and then make your pic. Picking by $ / Weather is like choosing a football team by its colors.....

You can do well anywhere if you work hard, IMO

My brain keeps telling me to go to buffalo, but my family are in california :(
NYU is cold and expensive so I will not consider the school, and the class is just too big. I like smaller class. Thanks u guys' opinions! Merry christmas to u all:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
My brain keeps telling me to go to buffalo, but my family are in california :(
NYU is cold and expensive so I will not consider the school, and the class is just too big. I like smaller class. Thanks u guys' opinions! Merry christmas to u all:love:

Go where YOU want to go and not where your family wants you! In the end, who will busting their rear ends studying for finals? Whose gonna be in dental school? Our parents sound so alike. They want me to go there and do this but only you know best. Consider the options for each and chose the right choice. If it was me, I would go to Buffalo...USC is PBL, not many students that I know dont like that approach, plus you know its in the "ghetto." If weather is going to affect the way your studying take that into consideration, other than that....Buffalo > USC!
Heck, tell your parents its like your going on vacation for 4 years lol

I am sure with your stats you will hear from UCLA or UCSF soon. You can pick either USC or Buffalo for now, and then wait for new round of acceptance on January! With regard to USC, I think there are two different type of feedback given by USC students. When I was there, I met students who finished their requirements on early October and they were happy with their choice, and also there are students who are not happy about eithter PBL or the way USC clinic was run in the past. Regardless, your stats indicate that you did great at your undergrad school and as long as you work hard at Dental school, you will be fine! Good luck on your decision.:thumbup:

USC has a good public reputation. If you have ask 10 random people on the streets of Los ANgeles what they think of Usc, they will say good school. The average person does not know what boards are and even what PBL stands for... so don't worry about reputation. A "DDS" degree from USC is just as good as one from Buffalo. etc. etc.

USC has a good public reputation. If you have ask 10 random people on the streets of Los ANgeles what they think of Usc, they will say good school. The average person does not know what boards are and even what PBL stands for... so don't worry about reputation. A "DDS" degree from USC is just as good as one from Buffalo. etc. etc.

You are right, but when we speak of reputation, I think we mean reputation among people whose opinions actually matter when it comes to making an informed decisions. The public usually doesn't know how much a school costs, how many graduate on time, what the licensure boards are and what percentage pass first time, so we don't really care what they think when it comes to choosing a program. These are things they could care less about, but I promise you that they will matter immensely to you shortly.

Go to Buffalo..hands down! It's a lot cheaper, it's a better school, and you can pay a cheaper mortgage in Buffalo than rent that you'll pay in southern california..then again you'll probably live at home!

I currently got accept from buffalo and USC. I know that buffalo is a great school with good program, but I do not like "cold weather". Rumor said USC students did not do well on the board exam. What's the ranking to USC??? I can not decide where to go. Even though my family wants me to stay in Cali, but I am still hesitate...any suggestion??:scared:

There is a DS1 at my school whose brother went to USC, and she said that he was 1 of 30 or so students who actually graduated on time in his class... that was a few years back... that alone and PBL would not suit my desire to go there. I do not cold weather either, but the cost is better at Buffalo, and besides, you will be inside most of the time when the weather is bad. If the board scores at USC are also as many people say, I think it is because they are PBL. It is a really different way of learning and if you are not someone who can do that, it may not be in your best interest. Good luck in making a decision, and congrats on your acceptances!

There was also someone on here last year who was accepted only to USC. This person ended up not attending, got accepted to the Baylor post-bacc program, and will more than likley be a student at Baylor next year assuming they fulfill the requirements of the post-bacc. Yeah, this person is starting a year later than they could have, but they are saving a lot of money in the long run, and Baylor is a great school.

thanks for ur advice. I think I am just too sad to move to east coast. California is a great place to live...... I think I will choose buffalo

I go to school (undergrad) in central new york and the weather is bad. Besides there being tons of snow, the windchill is ridiculous (I once walked 15 minutes to class in -18 degree weather). Even so, I've really enjoyed being a student at my school. You put on a lot of layers and just trudge on through. Don't judge the school based solely on weather, because it's the facilities, the people, and the curriculum that makes the place enjoyable. However, I do have some friends from Hawaii, Cali, and Puerto Rico and they said it's a huge transition. You have to be able to overlook the fact that you're going to be in the cold (and I mean cold) from Nov through late April every year.

Also, I'm from CT and the weather in NYC does not even compare to what comes about in upstate new york... three words: lake effect snow.

I know the weather will be bad, but I am so excited to go to buffalo now, because my friend just told me that buffalo is rank 7 on national board! Cannot wait to go to buffalo!

USC is 100% PBL... does that suit you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think USC is getting rid of their PBL curriculum.

Having not seen Buffalo, I would choose Buffalo. USC might be a lot more fun, though. You got Ktown right next to it. :D

I know the weather will be bad, but I am so excited to go to buffalo now, because my friend just told me that buffalo is rank 7 on national board! Cannot wait to go to buffalo!

Is there some sort of list resource where we can see how all the schools have faired on the boards recently?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think USC is getting rid of their PBL curriculum.

Having not seen Buffalo, I would choose Buffalo. USC might be a lot more fun, though. You got Ktown right next to it. :D

USC teaches certain aspects lecture style now, it's not 100% PBL. They are not getting rid of it though. I'm hazy on the details from my interview, but I believe they said they go to a lecture based review of the case they studied as a last step for certain subjects.

My friend who is in USC program, but she told me that she only had few classes with lecture! Correct me if I am wrong ....I know a lot of UCLA went to USC, and it will be so much fun!

USC teaches certain aspects lecture style now, it's not 100% PBL. They are not getting rid of it though. I'm hazy on the details from my interview, but I believe they said they go to a lecture based review of the case they studied as a last step for certain subjects.

True, they are still PBL but they said they added lecture based review of the case studied as a last step.

Choose the cheapest school! You want as less debt as possible. All dental school are technically have same quality, you'll be a dentist afterall. If you need to specialize, then it does matter where you come from.