Where should I go!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BFRY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I have been accepted to Illinois, Michigan, and Florida. I have narrowed it down to Michigan and Florida. Florida is my IS so I would save bout 100K going there over Michigan, but I like Michigan so much more. Does anyone have any advice or know anyone in either school that can say what they like or don't like about each??? HELPPP

Members don't see this ad.

A 100,000 dollar difference is quite a bit, even if you did feel Michigan was a better fit.

Unless you're independently wealthy, I'd go with my IS. I would have actually loved to have applied to Florida OOS but they take like 5 people every year.

Go to your IS. $100k is a HUGE difference and your future self will thank you for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
FLORIDA. $100K is a life-changing amount of money - don't take that burden on if you don't have to!!! You can always do summer work, externships, and maybe even an internship elsewhere if you want.

OMG please please pick Florida! You shouldn't even be considering Michigan.

OMG please please pick Florida! You shouldn't even be considering Michigan.
Seriously.. I shudder at the thought.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "Oh well i'll be heavy in debt anyway, it doesn't matter how heavy"
Yes it does matter, a lot.

I think I'll be choosing FL as well (my IS) even though I lovedddd Minnesota. And since you can get in-state tuition after a year in Minnesota it would be a difference of about 17k for that one year (plus a slightly higher COA because Minnesota's in a city and Gainesville is cheap).

But when I thought about it 17k is a car! I'd rather be in as little debt as possible so that I can maybe spend that 17k on something I really want one day. And like someone else said, you can always try to do an externship or internship there. That's what has been getting me through! Knowing that I can hopefully spend some time at UMN's CVM one day!

I know you said you liked Michigan more, but unless you actually disliked Florida I would definitely recommend going for the cheaper option. If Michigan was only slightly more expensive, I think it would be realistic to make a decision based on pros and cons of each, but 100K is a lot of money! A lot, a lot of money. That is money you could spend on a house, a car, retirement...

maybe if you share what you like about MI and dislike about FL folks from those places can share the 'behind the scenes' perspective, or others can weight in on how much that factor seems to really matter once you start.

Go to florida and save your money. You will be happy no matter what vet school you go to.

Also, having just returned from spring break in florida, i wonder why ANYONE would want to come to MI where it is FREEZING COLD ALL THE TIME, instead of going to school in florida where it is beautiful and warm and sunny :)

Go to florida and save your money. You will be happy no matter what vet school you go to.

Also, having just returned from spring break in florida, i wonder why ANYONE would want to come to MI where it is FREEZING COLD ALL THE TIME, instead of going to school in florida where it is beautiful and warm and sunny :)

This may actually not be a + for everyone. My chronic illness gets worse with heat, and that is definitely something to take into consideration for me.

This may actually not be a + for everyone. My chronic illness gets worse with heat, and that is definitely something to take into consideration for me.

My chronic illness gets worse with cold and dark :mad: And Wisconsin is my IS. What I wouldn't give to be somewhere warm for the next 5 years... sigh.

But yeah. That's basically a house you are spending.

My chronic illness gets worse with cold and dark :mad: And Wisconsin is my IS. What I wouldn't give to be somewhere warm for the next 5 years... sigh.

Ahh, crazy medical illnesses that won't go away ;) I'm not going to take it much into consideration when I apply (no IS), but if I get accepted to multiple schools, it's definitely going to be taken into consideration.

Oh yeah - If I don't get in to UCD this year and I start applying else where, it will only be in warm sunny places. I wouldn't last 6 months somewhere cold, dark, and wet. :( My plan is to try and intern in a cold dark wet place in the summer when it's less so. :)

I agree with the others that ahve said it - unless you actively dislike your IS, go there, and plan on trying to find internships/other opportunities at your the other school.

On the other hand, if the OOS school is your dream school and you are willing to make it work by perhaps cutting substantial costs other places in your life, live in accomodations that require little to no rent etc. to make it work, then do it. Davis is outrageously expensive, even for IS. But it is my dream school from when I was a little kid, and if I get accepted, I'll go there. BUT I also know that I'm very debt cautious and I WILL make ends meet in a way that when I graduate doesn't doesn't mean I have to live an life of poverty until the age of 152. :). And yep - that means that my life will probably suck more in this 4 years while I'm in school - but hopefully it will suck equally after school as the people who went to more affordable schools. :)

Only you can decide where you want to go. Make a pros/cons list of each, then think about it.

What's the dilemma? I would kill to be able to get IS tuition.... if I was able to save all of that money getting the warm fuzzies from a school would be the last thing on my mind. A lot of people that I have talked to that are IS at LSU said they didn't really bother applying anywhere else, because of OOS tuition costs.

Especially being in vet school and being bombarded with lectures of how to pay for all the debt. And they're mostly directed at managing IS tuition debt, so everyone else from OOS with $100-150K above that seems to be on their own.

Definitely go with the IS. It will save you so much money in the long run!

FL...hands down. I am presuming you would not have applied there if you despised it for some reason. Be smart and don't spend 100K (plus interest) that you don't have. It will make a significant difference in your lifestyle in the future (unless you have other resources..trust fund, inheritance, huge savings from working for 20 years..etc)