Where should you go if rejected from dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OC2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to attend if I'm graduating and I have a feeling this isn't my year for acceptence. Is there a masters program or another type of program dental schools highly recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally have no experience with this but I have had friends who have went through similar situations. One of them went on to get a masters in public health and was later accepted into medical school. Others pursued masters degrees in biochemistry, biology, chemistry, etc. I believe they all focused on the sciences to help better prepare for med/dent school.

I have known people also who have simply worked in order to gain more real world job experience (i.e. as EMT's or DA's) and simply retaken several undergrad courses as well as their MCAT/DAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Possession of what?

Look around on the forums, this topic has been beaten.

Look into one year master porgrams (Tufts, New Jersey, etc).

Get a life guy. I'm trying to offer advice not teach Eng 1301.

What 1 year masters does Tufts have? I've only seen a one year masters at tulane which I've already applied to. And I can't find the treads where this has been beaten to death so if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Georgetown has a special masters in applied physiology that basically allows you to take all the basic science courses from Georgetown and its only a year. Only problem is it's expensive and you have to take the GRE's to apply. They aren't as hard as the DAT's I assume but they're not a joke either. Popular program and I know a few people who went through it. The program is geared towards med students but it's the same info (biochem, physiology, anatomy) and the kids who took it are walking through their first year of med school.

There is another program there that accepts the DAT but it's a holistic masters and teaches you about things like massage therapy and acupuncture. Not stuff you can use to build up your resume really.

Another option is to go to school for dental hygiene. There are a lot of courses at community college that are pretty cheap and you can guarantee it will give you a huge leg up on everybody else in your dental classes like oral anatomy and materials and especially clinic.

I personally got a job doing research for a year in a med school. What I was working on didn't even have anything to do with teeth but it seemed to help because I got in and they always liked that at all my interviews. The good part about research also is YOU GET PAID. Not a lot but at least you can go into dental school a little less in debt.

Hope this was helpful, I kind of just rambled on for a while about what I have heard over the past few years.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on where to attend if I'm graduating and I have a feeling this isn't my year for acceptence. Is there a masters program or another type of program dental schools highly recommend?

if it's your GPA that's lacking, then you should go on a masters program. If not, just work while reapplying.

Its time for you to decide if dentistry is definitely what you want to do ... last year when I didn't get in anywhere, my dad (a dentist) tried pushing me to apply for pharmacy school (as my uncle is a pharmacist). I decided to continue with school, taking additional upper level bio courses and retaking the DAT ... luckily got in this year. What about you application this year do you think is holding you back? Last year I wasn't so sure so I made appointments and went to talk to the deans at a few schools. Not only does that show your level of commitment but you also get first hand information about your application and you can start to build relationships with the people who will decide your fate in the upcoming application process. If its GPA, take some additional classes, get a chem minor, etc. Many schools have post-bac programs designed for your situation. If it DAT, bust your a** and get that score up.

What you need to figure out is what about your application is holding you back and go from there.

is it lack of dental experience? GPA? DAT scores?

whatever it is, take the extra year and work like a madman to strengthen the weakest parts of your application.

Possession of what?

Which 1 year master program is offered by Tufts? Have looked on the website..

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're gonna do a masters program, oral biology MS would be your best choice, don't do public health. Do oral biology, chem, biochem, bio masters program...

Its my DAT that's lacking. I have a 3.81, I've worked in an orthodontist office since my senior year of high school and observed general dentists as well (a lot less general hours though).

Possession of what?

what's a porgram? :laugh:

OP, I would suggest getting a job and studying for your DAT... your GPA is absolutely solid. No need to risk it.
Generally, people that have GPA problems go for masters programs. I guess it couldn't hurt if you want to prep yourself more, but your DAT should be the priority if that's what's holding you back.

Its my DAT that's lacking. I have a 3.81, I've worked in an orthodontist office since my senior year of high school and observed general dentists as well (a lot less general hours though).

I agree with the person who posted above. Getting a masters would be a complete waste of money. Your GPA is excellent. You might try taking a DAT prep course such as the online Kaplan one. I've heard it's helpful.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

What is your DAT score?

Why not a Masters in Public Health?

Also jw, I have a 3.5 GPA.....Should I do a Masters or is my GPA ok?

Why not a Masters in Public Health?

Also jw, I have a 3.5 GPA.....Should I do a Masters or is my GPA ok?

Your GPA is okay but your science GPA is a cause for concern. A masters shouldn't be necessary as long as you are able to perform well on your DAT. 20's across the board is usually what constitutes "well."

AA 16 PAT 20 TS 15 pretty bad scores

Wow. those are pretty bad DAT scores. And your GPA is 3.81? How about your science GPA? If it's anywhere around the other GPA then they're gonna expect you to get 20+. At least aim for 19s.

My science gpa is high too. What hurt me is that I am a double major in biology and chem and took all of my chem classes before I took the DAT and no bio so my bio killed my total science. I retake next Friday and last semester I had a lot of bio so I should do better