Where to after the first two years in the Carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redjellybelly

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry to ask this question but I know you guys could help me out. Stupid question but I've been wondering about it for a while.

So when you go to school in the carribean, it is not for all four years? I read that it was 20 months for SABA, 24 for SGU and 16 (or so?) for Ross. What happens after that? Where do you continue med school at? Can someone just run through the whole thing for me.

Thanks! 🙂
 
At Ross, we do the two years (4 semesters) of basic sciences on the island straight through. No break between what U.S. schools would call first year and second year (the summer break). However, there are a couple weeks off in between semesters. We then go to Miami for a semester to supposedly prepare us for the clinical clerkships. The rest (equivalent to 3rd and 4th year rotations) are done at hospitals in the U.S. Then we graduate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry to ask this question but I know you guys could help me out. Stupid question but I've been wondering about it for a while.

So when you go to school in the carribean, it is not for all four years? I read that it was 20 months for SABA, 24 for SGU and 16 (or so?) for Ross. What happens after that? Where do you continue med school at? Can someone just run through the whole thing for me.

Thanks! 🙂

1. Take the USMLE step one in the USA
2. Start clinicals at a US hospital in some state for 2 years.

Solved. 😎
 
At Ross, we do the two years (4 semesters) of basic sciences on the island straight through. No break between what U.S. schools would call first year and second year (the summer break). However, there are a couple weeks off in between semesters. We then go to Miami for a semester to supposedly prepare us for the clinical clerkships. The rest (equivalent to 3rd and 4th year rotations) are done at hospitals in the U.S. Then we graduate.


awdc,
is it true that at ross the clerkships you do are at different hospitals in different states? How does that work exactly? please explain (or anyone else who is familiar with that) 👍
 
awdc,
is it true that at ross the clerkships you do are at different hospitals in different states? How does that work exactly? please explain (or anyone else who is familiar with that) 👍

It all depends. All my clerkships were in the NYC/NJ metro area except one in Chicago. Some of my classmates have moved a lot more than I have and some never moved. You can tell your clinical advisor your preferences and they'll try to work with it. I think doing clerkships at different hospitals is a good thing... just as long as you don't have to move.