Where to apply for prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TorusTubarius

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the strategy for applying for prelims? Do I just apply to everywhere in cities that are convenient or near where I'm trying to match? How do training and workload differ in community programs compared to university prelim programs?
 
I'm applying to ones that are at the same programs as the pgy-2 I'm applying to and to ones that are in my area. Like that, I'd either match a prelim at the same institution or one that is close to home, so I won't need to relocate twice.
 
For prelims that are reserved for neuro residents at a specific program, are we supposed to apply to those when we submit the ERAS application or can we just apply to those when/if we actually get an interview at that program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For prelims that are reserved for neuro residents at a specific program, are we supposed to apply to those when we submit the ERAS application or can we just apply to those when/if we actually get an interview at that program?
Good question. I would apply to them now because once they offer you an interview, you'd automatically get one at their linked PGY1.
 
For prelims that are reserved for neuro residents at a specific program, are we supposed to apply to those when we submit the ERAS application or can we just apply to those when/if we actually get an interview at that program?
It is program dependent. Some programs require you to apply to the prelim at the time of submission, some only require you to apply the advanced position and don't require you to apply to the prelim, some require you to apply to the prelim only after you get offered an interview. If their website is not clear, I would call them up.