Where to apply for prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TorusTubarius

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the strategy for applying for prelims? Do I just apply to everywhere in cities that are convenient or near where I'm trying to match? How do training and workload differ in community programs compared to university prelim programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to ones that are at the same programs as the pgy-2 I'm applying to and to ones that are in my area. Like that, I'd either match a prelim at the same institution or one that is close to home, so I won't need to relocate twice.

For prelims that are reserved for neuro residents at a specific program, are we supposed to apply to those when we submit the ERAS application or can we just apply to those when/if we actually get an interview at that program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For prelims that are reserved for neuro residents at a specific program, are we supposed to apply to those when we submit the ERAS application or can we just apply to those when/if we actually get an interview at that program?
Good question. I would apply to them now because once they offer you an interview, you'd automatically get one at their linked PGY1.

It is program dependent. Some programs require you to apply to the prelim at the time of submission, some only require you to apply the advanced position and don't require you to apply to the prelim, some require you to apply to the prelim only after you get offered an interview. If their website is not clear, I would call them up.

Reactions: 1 user