Research for applying to residency

Started by kitty3634
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kitty3634

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm an MS4 applying to neurology this fall. To add some perspective, I'm coming from a mid-rank (Top 50) US MD school in the midwest, and stats wise I am on the lower end (Step 1 221, Step 2 230). I am not aiming for too many reach schools or the coasts (except NC) and wanna stay midwest, but also don't want having an empty section to get me overlooked at some schools. I decided on neuro later in 3rd year, but I have taken initiative show interest by volunteering at the neuro student outreach clinic and being involved with the student interest group.
The one thing I really lack on my ERAS application is research because I have no research experience or publications. I did some in undergrad and hated it and do never really focused on it during my time in medical school. Applications are due in a month and simply to check off the box and not be completely lacking, I was going to try to write up a case report, but the faculty I have tried to work with have no been timely/responsive in getting back to me before deadlines for abstract submissions. At this point would it hurt me more to just have no research and pubs and have to explain it, or just work really hard to try to get something in within the next few weeks as submitted. Appreciate any thoughts, sorry for the long post.
 
Hello, I'm an MS4 applying to neurology this fall. To add some perspective, I'm coming from a mid-rank (Top 50) US MD school in the midwest, and stats wise I am on the lower end (Step 1 221, Step 2 230). I am not aiming for too many reach schools or the coasts (except NC) and wanna stay midwest, but also don't want having an empty section to get me overlooked at some schools. I decided on neuro later in 3rd year, but I have taken initiative show interest by volunteering at the neuro student outreach clinic and being involved with the student interest group.
The one thing I really lack on my ERAS application is research because I have no research experience or publications. I did some in undergrad and hated it and do never really focused on it during my time in medical school. Applications are due in a month and simply to check off the box and not be completely lacking, I was going to try to write up a case report, but the faculty I have tried to work with have no been timely/responsive in getting back to me before deadlines for abstract submissions. At this point would it hurt me more to just have no research and pubs and have to explain it, or just work really hard to try to get something in within the next few weeks as submitted. Appreciate any thoughts, sorry for the long post.
You'll be fine. Unless you're aiming for top 10-15 programs, research is not a must have. Plenty of people match neuro without research every year. Just look at the Charting outcome.