Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gemini18

Gemi
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior looking to apply to medical school. I am a black female with a cumulative 3.74 GPA . I did not calculate my science GPA. I believe it's in the 3.5-3.6 range. I took the MCAT in July and won't get my scores back until August 18. I don't feel too good about the MCAT, but I do feel pretty confident that I at least got in 40-50 percentile. I have many volunteer experience. Some of my experience is through the hospital in the nicu department, the Women's Care Center and the homeless center. I am involved in many clubs and honor's society. I have shadowed my pediatric doctor. I am a pharmacy techinician. I have received all of my lors. The only thing I am worried about is my MCAT score. When I took the AMCAS practice test the day before the exam; I got in the 60 range for the amount of questions correct for the sciences and psychology section. The verbal section I got in the high 70 range for the amount of questions correct. I am looking to apply to MD and Do schools. What are some of the schools that I should apply to if I were to score in the 40-50 percentile?

Members don't see this ad.

The MSAR is your best friend. I would find a chart and look up what scaled score on the old MCAT corresponds to 40-50%ile (I believe 50%ile approximates to a 25??). You would use this score and look at the school's percentile ranges. To be honest though, if you did score in the lower half, I suggest either focusing on DO schools or retaking the exam.

That said, please wait for feedback from others before making a decision!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a senior looking to apply to medical school. I am a black female with a cumulative 3.74 GPA . I did not calculate my science GPA. I believe it's in the 3.5-3.6 range. I took the MCAT in July and won't get my scores back until August 18. I don't feel too good about the MCAT, but I do feel pretty confident that I at least got in 40-50 percentile. I have many volunteer experience. Some of my experience is through the hospital in the nicu department, the Women's Care Center and the homeless center. I am involved in many clubs and honor's society. I have shadowed my pediatric doctor. I am a pharmacy techinician. I have received all of my lors. The only thing I am worried about is my MCAT score. When I took the AMCAS practice test the day before the exam; I got in the 60 range for the amount of questions correct for the sciences and psychology section. The verbal section I got in the high 70 range for the amount of questions correct. I am looking to apply to MD and Do schools. What are some of the schools that I should apply to if I were to score in the 40-50 percentile?

If you DID get in the 45-50th percentile then you need to either retake the MCAT or forget about MD schools.. I think you should post this in the DO forum and see what they say about your chances for DO. 50th percentile is out of range for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is pointless to fret about until you know your MCAT.

Anywhere you want!
Start with your state schools and the HBcs.