Where to begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHS84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a couple of months and have learned a ton from these forums, and I was hoping I could get some initial impressions about my situation. (Thank you in advance for reading yet another post like this!)

I graduated with a BA in English from an Ivy League uni in 2006. My final average was a pretty blah 3.26 total GPA after a terrible last year and a half owing to some family drama. I didn't take any of the pre-med prereqs.

After what felt like a pretty crappy end to college, I moved to Atlanta (the metro area closest to home), and last year I finished my MA in English at the state u here (3.9 grad GPA; would this even matter for an eventual medical school app? offset the 3.26?). For a long time I anticipated getting my PhD in English and teaching, but even before I had finished my MA, I became less and less enamored with the idea.

Long story short, over the past couple of years I've grown more and more excited by the idea of a career in medicine, and I'd like to get started on that journey on the right foot. I am applying to the post-bacc program at Agnes Scott College, and assuming I even get in (I had great SAT scores, pretty good GREs; I have no idea how competitive their admissions are. ack) and (hopefully) do a bang-up job, that will take care of the pre-reqs. But in terms of ECs and other stuff to beef up the rest of my eventual medical school application...it's hard to know where to start. I have no medical ECs, a few leadership extracurriculars from undergrad and grad schools, a current job I've had with a K-12 arts non-profit for a couple of years. I'm going to start looking into volunteer positions at local hospitals....maybe try to find a doctor to shadow (or is it too soon for that?).

What else should I be doing/thinking about at this point? Does this all sound woefully naive? I've tried to read as many FAQs, similar posts, etc as I could, but I apologize if I've missed some vital and/or obvious info somewhere. Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

For extracurriculars, shadowing/volunteering at a hospital or a clinic is definitely a good idea. while you're shadowing, this will also be a great chance for you to ask for letter of recommendations from nurses/doctors. Additional extracurricular is researching at either an institution or hospital. the best place will be to check the biological science department at your undergraduate or post-graduate and ask for professors who welcome research opportunities.

your postbac gpa (the pre-reqs) will be heavily looked upon by med school admin. the 3.9 MA in english is super but not gonna help that much. also make sure to study for the medical college admission test. but this can be thought about laterz.